Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Favorite Music

tejretics
Posts: 6,083
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 11:29:07 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
My taste in music genres and general theme has changed *entirely.* When I joined the site (as some of you may already know), my favorite music was Romantic Period and other classics (e.g. Bach, Mozart), as well as some jazz, blues, and a little classic rock. Goodness, you won't imagine the tastes I have now. I'm starting to like some ordinary rock, piano rock, from musicians of the likes of Ryan Adams and Alanis Morissette (sounds impossible). I've retained my taste for chants such as Dies Irae, though, and I can listen to a bit of ordinary, jazzy tunes (e.g. the Monk season 1 theme song; it's awesome).

I also really loved Massive Attack's "Teardrop," though I usually don't like flip-hop.

Here's my updated list of favorite songs:

1. Alanis Morissette ~ "Not As We"
2. Ryan Adams ~ "Desire"
3. Radiohead ~ "No Surprises"
4. The Black Ryder ~ "All That We See"
5. Massive Attack ~ "Teardrop"

Honorable Mention ~ Mozart ~ "25th Symphony," Beethoven ~ "Fur Elise"
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 11:31:57 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
My music taste varies a bit. My favorite, though, is Pink Floyd.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 11:40:58 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
At 12/7/2015 11:29:07 AM, tejretics wrote:
Goodness, you won't imagine the tastes I have now. I'm starting to like some ordinary :rock, piano rock, from musicians of the likes of Ryan Adams and Alanis Morissette ::(sounds impossible).

How ironic.

Here's a good sampler: https://play.spotify.com...
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 2:49:27 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/7/2015 11:29:07 AM, tejretics wrote:
My taste in music genres and general theme has changed *entirely.* When I joined the site (as some of you may already know), my favorite music was Romantic Period and other classics (e.g. Bach, Mozart), as well as some jazz, blues, and a little classic rock. Goodness, you won't imagine the tastes I have now. I'm starting to like some ordinary rock, piano rock, from musicians of the likes of Ryan Adams and Alanis Morissette (sounds impossible). I've retained my taste for chants such as Dies Irae, though, and I can listen to a bit of ordinary, jazzy tunes (e.g. the Monk season 1 theme song; it's awesome).
Agagagagagagaga no way!

Try the Gershwin piano concerto, and you'll see the light again:

I also really loved Massive Attack's "Teardrop," though I usually don't like flip-hop.

Here's my updated list of favorite songs:

1. Alanis Morissette ~ "Not As We"
2. Ryan Adams ~ "Desire"
3. Radiohead ~ "No Surprises"
4. The Black Ryder ~ "All That We See"
5. Massive Attack ~ "Teardrop"

Honorable Mention ~ Mozart ~ "25th Symphony," Beethoven ~ "Fur Elise"
n00b :P
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
kp98
Posts: 729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:44:23 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I wouldn't put anything recent in my 'favorite music' list. I probsbly won't be playing my current 'likes' in 5 or 10 years time, but there is some stuff from 10, 20 or more years I would hate to be without.

Dark side of the moon, Shostakovitch 8th string quartet, Barber's adagio, Moonlight Seranade, some Billy Holiday.... they have been with me for years and probably will be for long time to come. For a few weeks I really liked Afroman 'Because i got high'... but its on my mp3 player these days!!!!
SuperHuman
Posts: 31
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 2:16:59 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/7/2015 11:29:07 AM, tejretics wrote:
My taste in music genres and general theme has changed *entirely.* When I joined the site (as some of you may already know), my favorite music was Romantic Period and other classics (e.g. Bach, Mozart), as well as some jazz, blues, and a little classic rock. Goodness, you won't imagine the tastes I have now. I'm starting to like some ordinary rock, piano rock, from musicians of the likes of Ryan Adams and Alanis Morissette (sounds impossible). I've retained my taste for chants such as Dies Irae, though, and I can listen to a bit of ordinary, jazzy tunes (e.g. the Monk season 1 theme song; it's awesome).

I also really loved Massive Attack's "Teardrop," though I usually don't like flip-hop.

Here's my updated list of favorite songs:

1. Alanis Morissette ~ "Not As We"
2. Ryan Adams ~ "Desire"
3. Radiohead ~ "No Surprises"
4. The Black Ryder ~ "All That We See"
5. Massive Attack ~ "Teardrop"

Honorable Mention ~ Mozart ~ "25th Symphony," Beethoven ~ "Fur Elise"

Nothing worry about. You have a great fundament for your musical tastes.. I mean classical music. Change of musical tastes is normal for different ages as you change)
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 11:42:15 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
1. Castle of Glass -Linkin Park
2. War of Change -Thousand Foot Krutch
3. Prelude in G minor -Rachmaninoff
4. My life is a party -Italo Brothers
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Material_Girl
Posts: 264
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 11:53:05 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Trying to limit it to 5:

1) Feli - Creioane colorate
2) Alina Baraz & Galimatias - Fantasy
3) Kerli & SNBRN - Raindrops
4) Kourin - Aishiteru
5) Dima Bilan - Malysh (this is a Russian song but Cyrillic characters don't show up on this site :/)
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 7:15:17 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
This right here is the greatest performance of any song I've ever heard. It's tough for me to listen to this without literally crying. This was actually the song that first got me into opera. By the time it finished I had completely changed my mind about it.

This man, Luciano Pavarotti, at 70 years old, while dying of cancer, steps on stage at the 2006 Olympics in his home country and sings his goddamn heart out. It just... it hits me right in the feels.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 3:24:31 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/30/2015 7:15:17 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
This right here is the greatest performance of any song I've ever heard. It's tough for me to listen to this without literally crying. This was actually the song that first got me into opera. By the time it finished I had completely changed my mind about it.

This man, Luciano Pavarotti, at 70 years old, while dying of cancer, steps on stage at the 2006 Olympics in his home country and sings his goddamn heart out. It just... it hits me right in the feels.


Pavarotti is glorious; I grew up on him. While I adore Nessun Dorma, my absolute favorite has to be 'Vesti la Giubba' from Pagliacci. That one line - 'laugh, clown, at your broken love' just sends chills down my spine.

I watched a movie a few years ago that summed up opera pretty well when a character said that 'in opera, a man gets stabbed in the back, but instead of bleeding, he sings.'
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 9:29:04 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/12/2016 3:24:31 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/30/2015 7:15:17 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
This right here is the greatest performance of any song I've ever heard. It's tough for me to listen to this without literally crying. This was actually the song that first got me into opera. By the time it finished I had completely changed my mind about it.

This man, Luciano Pavarotti, at 70 years old, while dying of cancer, steps on stage at the 2006 Olympics in his home country and sings his goddamn heart out. It just... it hits me right in the feels.


Pavarotti is glorious; I grew up on him. While I adore Nessun Dorma, my absolute favorite has to be 'Vesti la Giubba' from Pagliacci. That one line - 'laugh, clown, at your broken love' just sends chills down my spine.

I watched a movie a few years ago that summed up opera pretty well when a character said that 'in opera, a man gets stabbed in the back, but instead of bleeding, he sings.'



You are 100% correct on that line. It's like getting punched in the solar plexus every time I get to that part. I love that aria, but nothing can ever replace Ness Dorma for me. It was the one that got me into opera to begin with, and I don't think my wind has ever been blown as hard as hearing that last note for the first time.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
tejretics
Posts: 6,083
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 12:38:21 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I recently discovered Yanni's "Felitsa," and it's just awesome.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Vaarka
Posts: 7,540
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 1:07:29 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/4/2016 12:38:21 PM, tejretics wrote:
I recently discovered Yanni's "Felitsa," and it's just awesome.

I thought it said "Yvette" and got excited because of Anna Yvette and her singing in Open Window (which is one of my favorite songs).
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
PointBlunt
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 1:46:49 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I saw the Pavarotti posts, so thought I'd throw my two cents in....here's where Rhythm & Blues meets Pavarotti, with James Brown and Luciano singing "It's a Man's World"....https://www.youtube.com...
Torton
Posts: 988
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 10:06:10 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Think I'm going to jump on this before it dies completely.

I'll listen to anything except dubstep, really. I've got a soft spot for rap, but besides for a select few artists, I don't listen to it that much. The only other genre that I listen to less is country.

Top five albums, right now are:

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
The Ettes - Wicked Will
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Things I'm listening to (I'm in full catch up mode):

Julia Holter - Have You In my Wilderness
Joanna Newsom - Divers (I've only listened to Sapokanikan which is fantastic).
Bjork - Vulnicura
Mbongwana Star - From Kinshasa