Jump to topic:

Artistic Expression vs. Artistic Technique

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 5:58:57 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
So I'm making a distinction here just based on something I've been thinking about.

And to be clear, I'm not saying there's a necessary split between them. You can be both or mix both.

But I was wondering what you guys prefer.

I think of artistic expression in this case as just a sort of raw expression of yourself through an art form. There's obviously some talent involved, but it's not as skilled as some others are. It's just feelings interpreted through a language others can understand.

I think of artistic technique as just the ability to be technically correct. Like this guy that went to my high school who could never draw an imperfect line. I'm not even kidding, his ability to write and draw was perfect. So in that case, not taking into account a personal expression, his technique was perfect.

So in your opinion, which is more beautiful or more desirable? Or which do you think you'd like to see in more prominence?
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 6:23:57 PM
At 2/6/2016 5:58:57 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
So I'm making a distinction here just based on something I've been thinking about.

And to be clear, I'm not saying there's a necessary split between them. You can be both or mix both.

But I was wondering what you guys prefer.

I think of artistic expression in this case as just a sort of raw expression of yourself through an art form. There's obviously some talent involved, but it's not as skilled as some others are. It's just feelings interpreted through a language others can understand.

I think of artistic technique as just the ability to be technically correct. Like this guy that went to my high school who could never draw an imperfect line. I'm not even kidding, his ability to write and draw was perfect. So in that case, not taking into account a personal expression, his technique was perfect.

So in your opinion, which is more beautiful or more desirable? Or which do you think you'd like to see in more prominence?

I've always been more of a fan of technical artists. It suits my mentality and thought process. Uniformity and the like in usage. By the book type stuff, because that's very much how I make my own stuff for the most part. I've written only a very few poems that are very emotional and non-technical, and though there is something to be said about the quality of such works that mainly derive from emotion(all art does in some sense) I much more prefer where standards and general practices and rules are kept.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 6:40:08 PM
When it comes to music, i'm a big fan of learning about the technical aspects of making music, and how all kinds of different factors come into play to make the music we actually hear. There is an amazing podcast called "Song Exploder" where they take a song for an episode, and they break it down to its component parts. And explain what they used to make that noise, where they got the inspiration for it, and everything else that goes with the process.

Its a fascinating podcast to listen to tbh
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 6:42:23 PM
There is also a Cracked Podcast that talks about the same thing I did, and name drops the Podcast I just did(I nerded out when they did) here is the link:

https://soundcloud.com...

Its the most recent one named, "Mindblowing Secrets Behind Your Favorite Music"
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 3:05:13 PM
There are fundamental rules of perception and psychology that form the reasoning for "technical art". Our eyes see colors, our minds seek contrast, and focal points. A portrait is more appealing than a "Where's Waldo" drawing. Picasso is more easily grasped than Pollock. Our eyes appeal more to a "rule of thirds" than placing a subject in the bottom left corner. Our ears hear notes in the same key and harmonies better than random tones. We can be riveted to watching a ballerina move with perfect precision and repulsed by the drunk "expressing" himself at a club.

Even the most "expressive" artists have to follow some basic rules of psychology; even if the goal is to shock the viewer and throw out those rules of psychology. Abandoning those techniques under the guise of "expression" almost always results in garbage, unless the artist is a genius.