Jump to topic:

Loose Ends

Black-Jesus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 2:16:17 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Does anyone else hate purposeful loose ends in stories? By that I mean, non definitive ending to stories, whether it be in books, movies, dramatic television, or video games that are left open ended so that the reader/viewer/gamer can decide for themselves what they think is the ending.

A lot of people love endings like that, but I hate them so much. I mean, even the slightest loose end about the feelings or fates of certain characters in the story that aren't explicitly explained in the end just aggravate me to no end. Maybe it's because I myself am a writer, I don't feel right just coloring in what I think the ending of a story should be, where I have no problem leaving my own stories open-ended like that because I actually KNOW for 100% what the author intended the ending to be, because I am the author and I know that most people like it when the story is left like that.

I much prefer endings that give me a specific, conclusive finale to the story that assures me that I KNOW what happens to all of the characters and especially how the characters feel about one another after the conflict of the story has resolved itself, especially when I become emotionally invested in the characters; I absolutely hate it when there are many different directions the story could've taken had it continued, but it didn't. I just feel like they wrote the whole story and then purposely cut off the most important part of the conclusion. The main character could actually turn out to be Pennywise the Clown infiltrating the other characters of the story, murder all the main characters and then himself in a fit of rage, and that would be better, I may be confused and think the ending was stupid or sad, but once I get over that, at least I'll have an ending.
Vote on my newest debate(s):
Earth: Spherical vs Flat: http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 2:25:14 AM
At 2/7/2016 2:16:17 AM, Black-Jesus wrote:
Does anyone else hate purposeful loose ends in stories? By that I mean, non definitive ending to stories, whether it be in books, movies, dramatic television, or video games that are left open ended so that the reader/viewer/gamer can decide for themselves what they think is the ending.

A lot of people love endings like that, but I hate them so much. I mean, even the slightest loose end about the feelings or fates of certain characters in the story that aren't explicitly explained in the end just aggravate me to no end. Maybe it's because I myself am a writer, I don't feel right just coloring in what I think the ending of a story should be, where I have no problem leaving my own stories open-ended like that because I actually KNOW for 100% what the author intended the ending to be, because I am the author and I know that most people like it when the story is left like that.

I much prefer endings that give me a specific, conclusive finale to the story that assures me that I KNOW what happens to all of the characters and especially how the characters feel about one another after the conflict of the story has resolved itself, especially when I become emotionally invested in the characters; I absolutely hate it when there are many different directions the story could've taken had it continued, but it didn't. I just feel like they wrote the whole story and then purposely cut off the most important part of the conclusion. The main character could actually turn out to be Pennywise the Clown infiltrating the other characters of the story, murder all the main characters and then himself in a fit of rage, and that would be better, I may be confused and think the ending was stupid or sad, but once I get over that, at least I'll have an ending.

It leads to better fanfictions.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Black-Jesus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 3:00:20 AM

I mean, that's true, but I didn't have that problem with the Harry Potter series but there is still lots of Harry Potter fanfiction, because instead of building off of the loose ends of the story (which there aren't a lot of big ones in Harry Potter) the fanctions just make up alternate endings or timelines.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 3:30:05 AM
At 2/7/2016 3:00:20 AM, Black-Jesus wrote:

I mean, that's true, but I didn't have that problem with the Harry Potter series but there is still lots of Harry Potter fanfiction, because instead of building off of the loose ends of the story (which there aren't a lot of big ones in Harry Potter) the fanctions just make up alternate endings or timelines.

Okay, let me address this properly then. To sum it up, you will never find a story that doesn't have one or two loose ends not tied up. The reason because of this is that the stories have a focus and the more they go away from that focus they are technically untying ends. So, could you imagine a big book trying to tie up all those loose ends? No, it just won't work. You will always ask "what happened to that guy" and such. Some people try to make sequels not just for a squeal but to tie up loose ends (but sometimes that makes things worse). And sometimes you'd get prequels to explain loose ends. If you really cannot be satisfied unless there's no crayons in front of you to fill in the loose ends, then chances are you will always not be satisfied.

It's hard because the writer knows what's going on with every character, but sometimes even they forget. Now, you could do what some people do and make a composite novel as a sequel (which is literally just a bunch of short stories about characters in the same world to tie up loose ends). Since it's so much work to tie up all the loose ends, I'm fine with it so long as it's clearly not "sequel-bait".
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Black-Jesus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 3:07:58 PM

Okay, let me address this properly then. To sum it up, you will never find a story that doesn't have one or two loose ends not tied up. The reason because of this is that the stories have a focus and the more they go away from that focus they are technically untying ends. So, could you imagine a big book trying to tie up all those loose ends? No, it just won't work. You will always ask "what happened to that guy" and such. Some people try to make sequels not just for a squeal but to tie up loose ends (but sometimes that makes things worse). And sometimes you'd get prequels to explain loose ends. If you really cannot be satisfied unless there's no crayons in front of you to fill in the loose ends, then chances are you will always not be satisfied.

It's hard because the writer knows what's going on with every character, but sometimes even they forget. Now, you could do what some people do and make a composite novel as a sequel (which is literally just a bunch of short stories about characters in the same world to tie up loose ends). Since it's so much work to tie up all the loose ends, I'm fine with it so long as it's clearly not "sequel-bait".

I didn't say I'm not satisfied when there are loose ends, I just said I'm not satisfied when there are massive loose ends centered around a major plot line that are purposefully left unanswered for artistic purposes. I don't have this problem with most stories yet the vast majority do have plot holes and loose ends if you look hard enough, because they aren't that major.

The type of loose ends I'm talking about are, say for example, the main character has been benevolent through the entirety of the story, but then they do something completely evil and out of character, and then later whenever the other characters ask them about it, they tell them that that action was justified because -insert reason- , but you never know if they are lying or not because you, yourself, didn't see it. And then you're left with this big grey area in a story that is otherwise black and white: it just doesn't fit the tone.
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 3:17:33 PM
If by "Stories", you mean writing... of course you have to tie up the major plot line. That's the whole reason for writing it. I don't count intended trilogies like Lord of the Rings, where the world created is so expansive, you know it will continue into a second and third book (and the world lives on beyond). Fellowship was never intended to be a complete plot line, although the art of ending on the appropriate decision/resolution was critical.

Television series can get away with it. Actually they are often better if they do not tie up loose ends. It keeps people coming back. Yet even in episodic series, you have some type of conflict/cliff-hanger or conflict/resolution in every single episode.

In books, you "hate it" because it's simply bad writing to fail to wrap up a major plot line without a plan. It's either laziness or incompetence.