Jump to topic:

Word War, Go!

diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 5:23:46 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
... inside joke for a few friends. Anyway.

I brought up in the Art Forum revival thread the idea for a writing debate. I was thinking of the following format. I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

0. Agree to participate. Select an opponent from those who agree. Not limited to just one pair of people.
1. Go to the following site: http://writingexercises.co.uk...
2. Click each of the 6 buttons (multiple times is ok) to generate a plot for your opponent (or we could set it up for ourselves, if' you're not feeling so adventurous).
3. Once a pair agree to write, first arg is the plot summary given to the opponent. You may create your own title (optional). Minor tweaking to fit a genre is acceptable. For example, if the setting says "The story begins in a penthouse apartment", feel free to put that apartment on a space station in a distant galaxy or a castle tower in a fantasy adventure.
4. 4 additional arguments, 10,000 characters each. For reference, 40,000 characters is about 20-22 pages and 7000-7200 words of a standard 300-page, 100,000+ word paperback. So about 5 pages per argument. Enough to roughly break up scene/setting, character development, conflict, resolution.
5. You must write a complete short story with overall judging on character, setting, conflict, plot and theme with a resolution.
6. Voting is RFD optional, without the 7-point scale. It's just "which story did you like better.
7. We'll give several days per argument so you can write and edit your 1500-2000 words.
8. No pre-existing work (that's why we use the generator).

Interested? sign up below.
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 8:07:59 PM
Ah, no takers just yet. Well, all conditions are negotiable. It's just an idea. Any writers willing to wow the masses?
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 8:13:35 PM
At 2/9/2016 8:07:59 PM, diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid wrote:
Ah, no takers just yet. Well, all conditions are negotiable. It's just an idea. Any writers willing to wow the masses?

Sorry, I haven't really looked into it. I'll get back to you later.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 2:53:56 PM
At 2/8/2016 5:23:46 PM, diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid wrote:
... inside joke for a few friends. Anyway.

I brought up in the Art Forum revival thread the idea for a writing debate. I was thinking of the following format. I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

0. Agree to participate. Select an opponent from those who agree. Not limited to just one pair of people.
1. Go to the following site: http://writingexercises.co.uk...
2. Click each of the 6 buttons (multiple times is ok) to generate a plot for your opponent (or we could set it up for ourselves, if' you're not feeling so adventurous).
3. Once a pair agree to write, first arg is the plot summary given to the opponent. You may create your own title (optional). Minor tweaking to fit a genre is acceptable. For example, if the setting says "The story begins in a penthouse apartment", feel free to put that apartment on a space station in a distant galaxy or a castle tower in a fantasy adventure.
4. 4 additional arguments, 10,000 characters each. For reference, 40,000 characters is about 20-22 pages and 7000-7200 words of a standard 300-page, 100,000+ word paperback. So about 5 pages per argument. Enough to roughly break up scene/setting, character development, conflict, resolution.
5. You must write a complete short story with overall judging on character, setting, conflict, plot and theme with a resolution.
6. Voting is RFD optional, without the 7-point scale. It's just "which story did you like better.
7. We'll give several days per argument so you can write and edit your 1500-2000 words.
8. No pre-existing work (that's why we use the generator).

Interested? sign up below.

After reading through, I think you need to better explain what this is. I'm not really sure what we're doing here.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 3:28:33 PM
I tend to overthink it. Lol

Clifs:
1. It's a write-off. Best short story wins.
2. Length is about 7,000 words or 20 pages. 40000 characters
3. Opponent generates a story plot from the random website (to avoid using stuff already written)
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 5:38:57 PM
This is a good idea, TUF and I did something similar awhile back, however we didn't use the random plot generator. I would, but I'm focused on writing something else currently lol
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 5:49:46 PM
At 2/10/2016 3:28:33 PM, diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid wrote:
I tend to overthink it. Lol

Clifs:
1. It's a write-off. Best short story wins.
2. Length is about 7,000 words or 20 pages. 40000 characters
3. Opponent generates a story plot from the random website (to avoid using stuff already written)

I may do it, though I'm kinda short on time rn. I'll get back to you when I'm not worrying about a couple tests and other joyful irl stuff

diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 5:55:56 PM
No hurry, moose & vaarka. That's why this is a thread and not a debate with a time limit.

I like the random idea for a couple reasons...
1. equal footing.
2. a good writer can write anything.
3. I actually tried developing a story, characters, partial plot, just to see if I could "get into it" when the idea wasn't my own. After about 20 minutes, I had a full plot in my head with a couple characters that connected with me.
4. We can also generate the idea well ahead of starting the debate. Think about it on your own time. Lay the groundwork for a story. Then kick off when you're ready.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:00:30 PM
At 2/10/2016 5:55:56 PM, diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid wrote:
No hurry, moose & vaarka. That's why this is a thread and not a debate with a time limit.

1. equal footing.
3. I actually tried developing a story, characters, partial plot, just to see if I could "get into it" when the idea wasn't my own. After about 20 minutes, I had a full plot in my head with a couple characters that connected with me.
4. We can also generate the idea well ahead of starting the debate. Think about it on your own time. Lay the groundwork for a story. Then kick off when you're ready.

So far, all the settings I've gotten are in a hospital of some sort XD

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:03:02 PM
At 2/10/2016 6:00:30 PM, Vaarka wrote:

1. equal footing.

These generated ideas are so...dull XP

Gimme something completely random, gimme something interesting, gimme something out of the blue!

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:09:36 PM
At 2/10/2016 6:03:02 PM, Vaarka wrote:

1. equal footing.

Gimme something completely random, gimme something interesting, gimme something out of the blue!

Is this thing capable of giving out stuff that isn't so normal that it's dull?

"An ambitious 29 year-old woman
An easy-going 29 year-old man
The story begins on a bus
Someone telling the truth isn't believed
It's a story about a life or death decision
Your character gets into a competition with another character "

The characters are debatably fine, as that's up to me, but a bus for the theme? Sheesh, give me something more random, like a battlefield, or a space station, or a ancient greek cave.
The situation is eh, so I'm not gonna complain too much about it.
Theme...eh
The character actions I'm getting are so typical DX. I don't want to have this based on a competition, or someone's "will to find the truth" or some other dull crap. Shoot for the stars, for generating sake!

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:11:09 PM
At 2/10/2016 6:09:36 PM, Vaarka wrote:

1. equal footing.

The characters are debatably fine, as that's up to me, but a bus for the theme? Sheesh, give me something more random, like a battlefield, or a space station, or a ancient greek cave.
Theme...eh
The character actions I'm getting are so typical DX. I don't want to have this based on a competition, or someone's "will to find the truth" or some other dull crap. Shoot for the stars, for generating sake!

And I know I said the characters are fine...but all I'm getting is a random gender for a human, some random age, and a random trait about them.

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:17:47 PM
a teenage brother and sister awake in a dark cave, no memory of how they got there, no memory of who they are, just with a suspicious sense they are related in some way.

There is a purpose to their situation, one that has global proportions...

Your welcome
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:18:15 PM
At 2/10/2016 6:09:36 PM, Vaarka wrote:

1. equal footing.

Theme...eh

Make it a space bus. In a mining colony on the edge of a solar system. Where they are mining radioactive ore. To fuel weapons that will destroy an alien race. But the radiation is creating mutants with special abilities. Who resent being used by the government light years away. So they plot their revenge.

Generic can easily be adapted into fantastic
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:18:26 PM
global proportions and consequences that is
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:19:49 PM
A stoic woman rides a plane, towards an unknown destination, with the purpose of revenge against another that wronged her long ago.

Bam
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:21:07 PM
At 2/10/2016 6:19:49 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
A stoic woman rides a plane, towards an unknown destination, with the purpose of revenge against another that wronged her long ago.

Bam

Are you inventing or using a generator?
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:21:14 PM
I will admit though, after going through single things for about 10 minutes, I did eventually see a few random things that I thought were...a little less dull, combined some, added my own twist, and got some form of an idea. I'd have to actually think up a lot of stuff for it, though, but I could make something probably.

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:21:28 PM
A family, two gay men, a boy age 15, two girls, aged 17 and 6, prepare for an impending disaster, scrambling to gather what they can. What that disaster or event is, and where they live, is up to the writer.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:21:52 PM
At 2/10/2016 6:21:07 PM, diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid wrote:

Bam

Inventing
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:22:51 PM
At 2/10/2016 6:21:52 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Bam

Inventing

That works, too.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:25:22 PM
An estranged brother and sister meet after not speaking for over a decade on the heels of a tragedy. Little do they know, but more tragedy awaits in the near future, tragedy spurred by forces only concieved as fantastic, and impossible.

Shazam
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:26:02 PM

Bam

Inventing

topic generated by clicking the Buddamoose button.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:26:36 PM
At 2/10/2016 6:22:51 PM, diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid wrote:

Bam

Inventing

That works, too.

This all kinda reminds me of a short story I wrote with the setting being ancient Rome for an assignment last year. People liked my story, though apparently the plot was a little difficult to understand (PTSD stuff). I had to do some research stuff, and I got a 94. Five of those six points were because I didn't know I needed to have the bibliography on the back, and turned it in separate. XP

diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:30:05 PM
At 2/10/2016 6:26:36 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Bam

Inventing

That works, too.

This all kinda reminds me of a short story I wrote with the setting being ancient Rome for an assignment last year. People liked my story, though apparently the plot was a little difficult to understand (PTSD stuff). I had to do some research stuff, and I got a 94. Five of those six points were because I didn't know I needed to have the bibliography on the back, and turned it in separate. XP

Every couple years i try NaNoWriMo (National November Writing Month) when it rolls around. I went from 35,000 words the first year I tried to 65,000 (still working, but I'm stalled) this year.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:32:16 PM
At 2/10/2016 6:30:05 PM, diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid wrote:
At 2/10/2016 6:26:36 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Bam

Inventing

That works, too.

Every couple years i try NaNoWriMo (National November Writing Month) when it rolls around. I went from 35,000 words the first year I tried to 65,000 (still working, but I'm stalled) this year.

I wish I could've had that. We had a max page number, which was supposed to be 8, but mine was around 10, and that's after cutting out some stuff that I deemed "not overly needed". Luckily she didn't mark off points for it.

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:37:12 PM
A god imprisoned within a common housepet by an ages old enemy. Is forced to enlist the help of his owner, a small 7 year old girl. Little does this god know, but the girl holds the key to more than just his freedom

just call me butter cause I'm on a roll
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:42:43 PM
At 2/10/2016 6:37:12 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
A god imprisoned within a common housepet by an ages old enemy. Is forced to enlist the help of his owner, a small 7 year old girl. Little does this god know, but the girl holds the key to more than just his freedom

just call me butter cause I'm on a roll

I like that one.
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:47:11 PM
the one I randomly generated yesterday:

A 29 year old dot com entrepreneur, sold his business for millions and moved into the country. His small son was kidnapped on a country road by a 70 year old anarchist, with guns, unpayable tax debt, and anti-government philosophy. The man must find a way to save his son, without risking a violent confrontation.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:48:52 PM
Btw, as I release more chapters of my serial novel, let me know what y'all think. The first chapter was improve and a bit rushed, so I had very imperfect technique and variety lol
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion