Jump to topic:

In Dark, In Light Chapter 1

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 4:48:54 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
So this planned serial novel is going to tie into a mafia game I will be hosting god knows when in the distant future. I figured, since there are a group of users including myself trying to revive the art forum, that I would start doing so myself by creating a serial novel within. One that could be discussed, enjoyed, and critiqued by the community. Thank you to anyone who decides to read this, the journey should be a fun ride :)

In the Dark, we fear what we know not
we walk tensely
we lay alert
we listen, and wait

but strange is it not
that we often know not
what to be tense over?
that we often know not
what we are alert for?
that we know not
what we listen, what we wait for?

many fear darkness
many fear the shadows that envelop
the world
as the sun sets in the sky
darkness seems a curse
a curse of ignorance
of obliviousness
for if we knew what creeped
what watched
what waited in anticipation
would we not be able
be able to fight?
to be able to stop
what we fear?

no, darkness is a blessing
not a curse
for in the darkness we can hope
hope that the beasts that lurk
are not there
that mayhap, we can stop them

but in the light
we gain knowledge
we gain perception
and too often we find
that what has lurked
what has waited
we cannot stop
we cannot defeat

our hope of control
our hope of life
is ill-placed, mistaken
we find that we
have no control
we have no hope
and would that not be
most frightening of all?

Prologue

tick, tick, tick

The pocket-watch in hand counted the seconds as they passed. A weighty and extravagant piece. Solid gold casing, diamonds, rubies, and sapphires encrusted around the edges. A beautiful piece of craftsmanship, on the back, 3 triangles engraved upon the back, within the pupil of a solitary eye. The pocket-watch, a resplendent piece, somewhat at odds with the individual who held it.

Dressed in a drab grey hooded sweatshirt, hood over the head, covering the entire face in shadow, and faded denim jeans. Easily mistaken for a resting runner, save for the steel-toed boots that gave away that this individuals purpose was not exercise. People passed by to and fro in front, as he, or she, honestly it wasn't clear, leaned against a concrete wall. The sound of subway trains screeching to a halt could be heard a short distance away. Whatever time the individual had been waiting for, must have come, as they started walking down the hallway they were in.

Almost immediately their quick and hurried steps were interrupted, as a passerby bumped into them, and then immediately burst into a run. The grey hooded individual immediately gave chase after. Through the crowd they ran, bumping pedestrians, toppling them, shouts and protestations of shock and anger following in their wake. Through a service door they ran, into a dark, musty hallway, their steps echoing off the concrete walls. Left, then right, then left again, they ran through.

The thief however, upon taking another left turn, came face to face with a dead end. He quickly turned around and pulled out a knife, switchblade, about 4 inches in length, and snarling as the hooded individual turned round the corner as well, "get out of the way, or I swear I will gut you!"

The hooded individual stopped and calmly spoke, "lad, you know not what you have taken, and you know not who you have trifled with. If you were smart, you would drop the pocket-watch, and I will let you leave here unharmed."

Laughing, the thief responded, "I'm the one holding the knife here buddy, you aren't in any position to be making demands."

"I do not need a knife," glowing eyes began emanating from the shadows that cloaked the hooded individuals face, pure white, the thief squinting to try and get a good look, but somehow, only eyes could be seen, the rest of the face still clouded in shadow, "you have underestimated the situation you are in. Now the terms will change, drop what you have taken, and this will only be slightly excruciating."

"Look guy, I" the thiefs words were cut off, as the hooded individual let out a chuckle.

"I am not a man, nor am I a woman, again, you have underestimated the situation you are in, and continue to do so. This is your last chance to drop the watch."

"Fvck you a$$hole," the thief yelled out, as he charge forward, taking two steps while moving slightly to the right while stabbing forward with his blade. Deftly, the hooded figure stepped inside of the stab, and shoved the thief backward into the wall. The glowing eyes brightened even more so, blinding, painful in their intensity. The thief yelped, and dropped his knife, covering his eyes with his arm and slumping against wall. "Just take the watch man, just take it," he yelled tossing it onto the ground, "just take it!"

"It is too late for that, mortal, I warned you, and you did not listen. You, after having the audacity to steal from me, had the further audacity to continue along that path once I had caught you. In your foolishness, in your egotism, you thought simply because you had a hunk of pitiful metal, that you were in some sort of position to dictate to me, OF ALL CREATURES AND PEOPLE ON THIS PLANE, what I should and should not do. For that, you will die, and it will be excruciating, and you will suffer."

The light intensified, and the thief screamed, his skin began to break out in red splotches, almost as if he were being sunburned. Even while hiding his eyes, blood began to trail from them. A high pitched, deafening ring began echoing in the hallway, and the blood trailed from the thiefs ears. He lay on the ground now, hands over his ears, eyes shut, in the fetal position. His screams were almost inhuman, interrupted every few seconds by the vomiting of blood. A thick pool now slowly spreading towards the hooded individual, until, it touched its, whatever it was, boots. Suddenly the light flashed even more brightly, blinding any ability to see what was occurring, and the thiefs screams stopped.

The light diminished, and the hooded individual still stood in the same place. The thief, was... for lack of a better word, gone. Naught but a pool of blood remained, the thief horrifyingly and completely liquefied. Stepping forward, it picked up the pocket-watch, wiping the blood off. Turning around, grey-hoodie walked back the way it came, before stopping suddenly, and peering forward, and speaking, "i know you are watching, and heed this, we are coming, and we will not stop boy. I would suggest you hide, but hiding will do no good."

It began cackling, and the same white light as before flashed intensely

Chapter 1: You Had One Job

I awoke with a start, jolting upright. I had been having nightmares like that for weeks now, and had no idea why. At first I thought it was because of my propensity to eat before sleeping, so I stopped, and they still happened. Perhaps falling asleep with the tv on. Stopping it did not prevent them. Sleeping pills, did not work either. I glanced over at the clock, and saw that it was 5:00am. A couple hours before I had to be awake for work, but after the nightmare, I certainly wasn't going to be going back to sleep, now was I?

I threw off the blanket, and was met with the cool air of my room. Getting out of bed and standing up, I ripped the sweat soaked sheets off the bed and carried them to my laundry basket, tossing them inside. Turning on the lights with the switch above the basket, I looked around my room, and spotted my cigarettes. Grabbing one out of the pack, along with the lighter inside, I lit it up and pensively exhaled. Today was going to be an eventful day, if everything went well, I had a good shot at being promoted to lead co-ordinator. Hopefully things went smoothly, but knowing my luck, it would be a total clusterfvc
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:27:26 AM
Chapter 1 Continued

Oh well, just meant I had to do triple as much work to make sure things still went smoothly for anyone not behind the scenes. I noticed the blinking light on my phone, and picked it up turning on the screen. To no surprise, I saw I had received a message from my ex overnight. I unlocked my phone and opened up the message,

"remember, your daughters game is at 6pm tonight. You promised her you would come, so you better be there or she'll be heartbroken."

FVCK! I had completely forgotten about that. What kind of idiot was I to promise something like that anyways? God knows I never have the time for it, work kept me too busy. Ugh, now I'm going to have to do the unthinkable... suck up to my ex. That b!tch could honestly go fvck herself with a jagged razorblade, dam(n) if I hated having to brown-nose her a$$.

"Caroline," I texted, "I can't make it tonight, I promised that without realizing that tonight was the night of a function that could land me a promotion and a hefty raise of salary. I would blow it off, but I really really can't. Please let Kat know I wont be there, and tell her I'm really sorry and I'll be sure to come to her next game."

I put down my phone, ignoring for the moment the immediate buzz it gave, surely a response from thundercvnt herself, and walked into the bathroom. Turning on the light, I looked in the mirror. The bags under my eyes were dark, making my face look gaunt. Sleep had been hard to come by lately, with those dam(n)ed nightmares. But no matter, I had bigger more important things to focus on than that.

I turned on the shower, adjusting the heat of the water to my liking, hot, but not blistering hot. Stripping off my clothes, I stopped, "what the fvck is that?" I murmured to myself. There were scratches in my chest, dried blood around them, "no no no, that can't be there. Am I really scratching myself in my sleep?" The scratches, were, the same symbol that had been on the back of the hooded individuals pocket-watch in my dream. I had to have scratched it on myself somehow in my sleep. That was really the only possible explanation...

I stepped into the shower, and engulfed myself in the hot water, letting it roll down my body. As I washed myself, I mentally went over what I would need to do once I got to work. Make final confirmation calls to the different caterers. Make sure the temporary employees I had hired were up to speed about what they needed to do. And so, so, so much more. Too much to accomplish in the 14 hours I had until it started. Thank god for,

"Shawn?," A womans voice called out, "I'm here, are you up yet?"

"Yes, Mel," I responded loudly, "I'm in the shower, I'll be out in a minute!"

I heard her open the door a crack, "how did you sleep?" she asked.

"How do you think I slept?" I responded sarcastically, "Nightmare again, woke me up way too early. You know I had a late night last night, and didn't want to be up yet. But noooooo, just keep getting woken up without getting enough sleep."

"Well, I wish I had better news, but you're going to have just as late of a night tonight. Luckily, there isn't another event for a couple days afterwards, so after tonight is all said and done, we'll both get a couple days off." I smiled, I honestly couldn't wait. Just the chance to loaf around for an entire couple days, sleep in, nap, it was going to be heaven. A heaven I hadn't had in months at this point.

"Mel, can you do me a favor? Look at my phone and see what the other messages besides from my ex-wife were about. Want to make sure its nothing important regarding tonight."

"Of course," she answered, and I heard her footsteps walk away. She came back a minute later, "well, your wife is not happy at all. What in the hell did you do now?"

"Well, this time, its my fault to be honest. I promised my daughter I would come to her basketball game tonight, and had completely forgotten about what else was going on tonight. Lets just say, my daughter is not going to be happy considering I have barely had any time off lately."

"Your ex-wife certainly isn't happy, she had many... choice words for you. I thought for a minute you were planning a boat trip, because her choice of words in her message were like a sailors," she giggled, "There are things in this I haven't even heard of, which is saying something!"

"What about the other few messages?" I asked, already tired of talking about my ex-wife.

"Nothing important except for one, just a few messages from people saying they wont be able to make it tonight. Couple friends, one employee. The employee is, if I remember correctly, a valet, so easily replaceable. The one that is important though, you aren't going to be happy about..."

"God dam(n)it, what is it Mel? By the way, I'm getting out of the shower," I said shutting off the water.

"Well..." she said shutting the door to a crack, "its from Carlos, ummmm, he said that one of the catering companies had issues and wont be able to cater tonight, and that the back-up company can't cater tonight because they are already occupied."

"Jesus Christ with Carlos sometimes, the guy has one dam(n)ed job, make sure this one catering company, not even all of them, just this one, doesn't have issues and will be there. One dam(n)ed job!" I growled, slamming my hand down onto the bathroom sink, "Ok Mel, here is what needs to be done. We'll need to put in an order for the food at Costco, simple stuff, like sandwiches, cookies, cakes, stuff like that. It's gonna have to be ordered before they open so it can be done with a couple hours to spare."

I turned the knob on the faucet and water started coming out as I was speaking, "then we'll need to send a couple employees out to pick it up, make sure one of them is Carlos, he deserves it after screwing up like this, and yes, I know, he'll cop an attitude and I don't care. Just send him out and tell him if he doesn't go he can kiss his hefty paycheck goodbye." I squirted out shaving cream onto my hands, and spread it on my face. I picked up my razor, and started to quickly shave.

"Ok Shawn," I heard Mel say from my room, "I'll go make those calls right now." I heard her walk out of the room. I finished shaving quickly, and rinsed my face off, the cool water felt refreshing on the irritated skin. I then splashed some aftershave on, it stung, of course, but a little pain was worth the smoothness of skin after applying it. I turned around and started putting on the suit I had hung up the previous night before going to bed. Exquisitely and expertly tailored black silk pants and undershirt. Tie, a checkered red and black, shoes, black Italian leather. A black tweed jacket buttoned right below the chest. An aggregiously expensive suit, but one that impressed whenever it was worn. Which was exactly what I was trying to accomplish today.

I heard Mel walk back into the room 10 minutes later, about as much time as it took me to shave, and put the suit on, "Ok, I made the calls, the food will be prepared and ready for pick-up by 3:30. Carlos will be going with Eric, and they'll have it at the banquet hall by 4."

"Excellent Mel," I said as I opened up the bathroom door, "I honestly don't know what I would do without..." my voice trailed off. Melanie stood there, completely naked save for the heels she wore. Her dark auburn hair waved down, resting upon her voluptuous breasts. A picturesque definition of beauty that never failed to leave me speechless...

"While we have some time, I wanted to relax and have some fun," she coyly smirked, sitting down on the bed gracefully, and patted her hand on the bed next to her. Trancelike, I was powerless to do anything but oblige...

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 6:30:25 AM
I hate the profanities filter whenever I do something like this... oh well. This chapter was shorter than most others will be. I'll be working on Chapter 2 over the next few days, and it will be longer in length. As I said, this is going to be the basis for the mafia game I will be hosting whenever its my turn to mod the game. So yes, there will be hints and what not to pick up in this novel that will be useful in game to the keen observer.

Anyways, hope anyone who decides to read this enjoy it, and what is to come in the future. Goodnight
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 4:10:27 PM
Chapter 2 will be posted once I make some additions and changes post proofreading.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion