just know your soul the lord wont take
for in your naive wishes and wants
you invite in those who do haunt
in silence we do wait and bide
for when you cannot hope to hide
escape nor flee
rest assured we come
for thee

I stood leaning against a wall, watching the guests enjoy the banquet. The hall I stood in was massive. High arched gothic ceilings, immense windows bordering the room giving a beautiful view of the skyline of New York City to anyone who looked out them. Mahogany floors, and a spectacularly artful glass chandelier hung over the center of the room. A mix of socialites, celebrities, various affluent individuals and the like. I smirked at the thought that these people actually thought they were doing some sort of good with this. Spending hundreds of thousands on a banquet, to raise mere pennies in comparison for their cause. Of course, they would go back home at the end of the night, a false sense of pride in the "good" that they were doing. Waiters wandered to and fro between the people, trays in hand offering various delicacies and snacks, wines and liquors to them. Ironically enough for such a high brow crowd, the simple mixture of foods we had gotten from Costco were being consumed the quickest of them all. A orchestral band softly played music on the far edge of the banquet room, its melodic and soothing sounds lulling guests into a calm and relaxed mood.

Melanie stood beside me, leaning against my arm, hers hooked in mine, she leaned closer and whispered into my ear, "you were right about the caviar, add it to anything and they'll eat it up as if its high class." I chuckled at the thought, she was right after all. My amusement was interrupted by the vibration of my cellphone in my pocket. I pulled it out and looked at the message. Yet another profane message from my ex-wife, cursing my name and wishing all kinds of horrid fates upon me. Oh well, I'll make it up to Kat later, I couldn't honestly care less about making it up to Caroline. As far as I was concerned, there was nothing to make up. Still, it was probably wise for me to do so anyways, even if I absolutely dreaded the prospect. It always seemed to me, like whenever Caroline messed up, she didn't apologize at all, in fact, she got angry at me, as if it were my fault. Which was absolute rubbish, we weren't together anymore, and hadn't been for years. Even when we were, it was not like I was her keeper. Still, I had admittedly been the more irresponsible and forgetful one in our marriage. Post-marriage, well, that same trend kept up. What can I say, old habits die hard.

"Shawn," a deep voice broke me out of my trance of thought regarding Caroline and Kat. I looked up to see Carlos standing before me, "i'm sorry about what happened this morning. Great job finding the substitute you did. This is going so well i'm sure you'll get that promotion buddy." I smiled, I was sure about that potential now as well. Everyone was having a splendid time, and the banquet was running as smooth as any event I had co-ordinated before.

"I agree Shawn," Melanie purred, "he always manages to perform when called to rise to the occassion, dont you Shawn?" She looked at me and winked. I involuntarily blushed, understanding the entendre she was speaking. Carlos looked at us, a curious look on his face as he studied us. Nobody was aware of out relationship, and we tried to keep it as such, but lately Melanie had been slipping in comments, references, in reference to our as of yet, secret "affair." Honestly, I felt that she was ready to make it public, and honestly, I was of the same opinion. I had slight reservations regarding how others would take it though, notably, my boss, Elania. Inter-work relationships were not forbidden, but our relationship would obviously cast a negative light on the fact that Melanie was my, second in command, if you will. Until I secured the Lead Co-ordinator position, I still felt it was best we kept our relationship under wraps.

"Yes Melanie," I said, "I really do seem to, but really, I wouldnt be able to if it werent for everyone else, especially you honestly." Cliche, yes, but I honestly meant it. I couldnt ever hope to accomplish putting together these kinds of events alone, and Melanie was an integral part of that. More integral than anyone else. That was what probably drew us together in the first place. When you spend a large chunk of your days with someone, and rely upon each other heavily for things, a bond will inevitably develop. Of course, that Melanie was in my opinion, drop dead gorgeous, was even more incentive for that to happen. I looked over at her, and was taken away just as much as when I first saw her at the banquet, after she had left to change into more appropriate clothing at her own apartment.

Sleek, black, slingback stilletos. Strapless red anle-length silk dress, her hair waves of Auburn, thick and lustrous. Her eyes, a forest green, sparkling with a light of their own. Slightly tanned skin, simply stunning, easily the most beautiful woman in the room, and from what I was able to surmise, the envy of the other women as well. Of course, I wasn't exactly an ugly duckling myself. Taller, above 6 feet in height, tanned, muscular and athletic in build. The years of sports in High School and constant maintaining of physique and health had done me well.
"Darling, i must compliment you on the banquet," an older woman, between her 50's and 60's slurred as she walked up to Melanie and I. I recognized her as Arietta Gaines, a wealthy heiress whose family had made their wealth decades and decades ago in the rail industry, "I absolutely must dance with such a handsome man such as yourself. Its not often someone catches my eye as you have, of course, only if your... friend will allow me." She smiled at Melanie, one eyebrow raised inquisivitely. Melanie looked at me as she giggled, "of course you may, I'm sure Shawn will be delighted with your company. Besides, I have something to attend to in the back, the hors d'oeuvres look to be coming out too infrequently. I'll be back in a short moment." Melanie leaned in a kissed me on the cheek, just below the ear, coyly flitting her tongue across my earlobe, sending shockwaves of electricity through me and whispered, "Dont have too much fun now and leave me here now." Melanie drew away and sashayed away from me.

"But I..." it was too late to protest as Arietta snatched my hand and drug me out onto the ballroom floor. "Darling," Arietta spoke, "how is it that a man so handsome as yourself, is left serving us, and not attending this with us? You ought to be, instead of slaving away with the rest of the workers." I was slightly taken aback by the question, but withheld the sarcastic retort that popped into my head. After all, this was a woman that had never known anything but wealth and affluence. She had no concept of struggle, of needs left unfulfilled, of desperation as bills mounted. "Well ma'am" I began, but was quickly interrupted, "nonsense dear, call me Arietta, I insist." She smiled at me, and I began again, "Well Arietta, I wasn't exactly born into wealth. In fact, I was born very poor, and was like that until about 5 years ago when I was hired as a waiter with this company. Of course, now I'm one of the event co-ordinators and if all goes well tonight, I'll be the lead even co-ordinator." Arietta nodded in understanding, "well darling, if it helps, I will absolutely give you an extraodinary review and recommendation to your boss. Quite impressive working your way up to where you are now. Thankfully, I've never had to experience such a tough life, as you already probably know," she cooed as we swayed to and fro, dancing slowly to the orchestral music that softly played in the banquet hall.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 9:41:09 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
There was silence for a couple minutes, as I honestly could think of very little to say, and Arietta simply looked to be enjoying the dance. It was all rather peaceful, but my chest started itching, slight at first, and tolerable, but slowly increasing to an intolerable level until I could hold back no longer and brought my hand to it and began scratching it. However, that did nothing to ease it, in fact, it only made it worse, made it painful. I winced and stopped scratching, but kept my hand over it. A concerned look came across Arietta's face, "darling, what is the matter? Please tell me you arent having a heart attack, my first husband wasn't much older than you when he died of one..."

"No, no," I assured her, I scratched myself pretty good last night in my sleep and it seems like its only getting worse. Arietta grabbed my hand, and pulled my hand away, "Dear!" she exclaimed, "are you sure it was just a scratch because it appears you are bleeding!" I unbuttoned my shirt where the scratch was, and opened it slightly. I was shocked to see that the symbol I had scratched on myself in my sleep, the three triangles encased within one larger triangle, was indeed bleeding. I frowned, "I'm sorry Arietta, but I have to go clean this up and bandage it. I dont know how it happened, i swear it was only a scratch this morning..." Arietta leaned in for a closer look and her eyes widened for a short moment. As quickly as they widened, they returned to normal, "I insist on helping you," she stated in a commanding tone, "I was a nurse during Vietnam, and have volunteered as one since then, I can properly do it for you."

"Oh no," I responded, "I couldnt have you do that. Please, enjoy the rest of the banquet, and of course, we can finish our dance later if you want." Ariettas brow furrowed, "nonsense boy," she spat out, showing a stern side of herself that was entirely unexpected, "now lets go to the back kitchen area and find a first aid kit." At this point, it would have honestly been rude to insist on her not, so i let her lead me to the double doors of the kitchen adjacent to the banquet hall. As we approached them Melanie came out and saw the two of us. A puzzled look came across her face, "where are you two going? Not running away on me are you Shawn?" she joked. "Dear," Arietta responded, "your date is bleeding, we're going to find a first aid kit so we can bandage him up." Melanie puzzled look became even more puzzled, "bleeding? How did that happen? When? I'm coming with you two to make sure you're ok Shawn," she quickly blurted out as she followed behind us through the double doors.

"No dear, you should stay here, no need for three people, we'll be back in a short moment," Arietta used her stern tone once more. Melanie, however, was having none of it, ever a stubborn person as she is, "No, i'm coming with you two, and thats final." Arietta looked at her a quick moment, then shook her head, "very well, come on then," annoyance obvious in her speech. We split up and searched the kitchen for a first aid kit, underneath sinks, in drawers, in cabinets, unsucessfully for minutes. Finally I heard Melanie from an office down a hallway that led away from the kitchen opposite the double doors, "I found it!" she exclaimed, "its in this office!" Arietta and I went into the office and found Melanie already digging through the first aid kit. Gauze pads and bandages already laid out on the table. "All we should need is the antibiotic ointment," she murmured, "unless its worse than just a minor cut. Just take off your shirt Shawn."

Arietta nodded her approval of Melanies advice, as unecessary as it was. I unbuttoned my shirt and took it off, and Arietta gasped. "Its gotten so much worse!" I looked at it and it indeed had. What was an extremely minor scratch this morning, and a minor cut not minutes before, was now what appeared to be a deep cut. Blood was slowly seeping from the wound, and the symbol of the three triangles within the others as clear in its appearance as a tattoo. "No no no," Arietta murmured to herself, "this just wont do, this cannot be happening now. This isn't supposed to happen yet, we still have more time, he told me we still had much more time..."

"Time for what?" I asked, confused as to what she was even talking about? "Yeah," Melanie chimed in, "time for what?" Arietta spat on the floor, even more surprising than the stern demeanor she had displayed earlier, "not time for what damnit," she snapped annoyingly, " time BEFORE something like this was supposed to happen." Now that, was the most surprising of all, a wealthy socialite cursing at a banquet of social and celebrity elites? "Ok," I demanded, "you need to tell me whats going on here, and what the hell it is that you know, that Mel and I dont." I looked over at Melanie and saw a wet spot on her dress, same spot as the cut on mine, in the center. "Uh, Melanie, look at... uh," I pointed at my own chest, then at her. Melanie raised her eyebrow and looked down, "what the fvck?" she gasped, "what the hell is going on? Now I have it too?"
That caught Ariettas attention as she stood up, turning around to face Melanie and look at her cut, "TWO OF YOU!?" her voice rose to a shrill pitch, "there was only supposed to be one, and now there are two of you? That doesnt make sense, only one can be initiated at a time, unless..." Arietta trailed off, then spoke again, "tell me, how long have you two been together?"
"What business of that is yours?" Melanie defensively demanded, side stepping closer and closer to me. "Its my business because as of right now, I am the only one who knows what is going on here, and I need to know to make sense of this foolish child," Arietta snapped at Melanie, "now tell me, how long have you all been together?" Melanie's face turned bright red, and I could tell she was about to snap at Arietta, "We've been together about a year now," I calmly spoke, looking at Melanie. She glared at me, and I knew I would hear about answering that later on. Still, I wasn't in any mood to have this situation turn into anything more stressful than it already was.

Arietta tutted as she responded, "well that explains it, I can only assume you two have slept with each other. Which means you two are now binded together. Very well then, I suppose now there are two of you we shall have to deal with." She said that last part as if the two of us were some sort of great burden, a tone I certainly didn't appreciate, and from looking at Melanie, one she didn't appreciate as well. "Binded together?" Melanie snorted, "what the hell is that supposed to mean? Right now you sound batty as fvck to me being honest."
"Batty child? You would do well to show me more respect, as of right now I'm, again, the only one in the position to help the two of you. And yes, binded together. Monarchs of our order are supposed to be celibate until they are absolutely certain the partner they choose is their kindred soul. Intercourse between a Monarch and another after being together in a relationship for a year binds the two souls together, kindred or not. Pray you two are kindred souls, because if you are not it will have grave consequences for the two of you, and our order."
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 9:43:12 PM
"Order?" I asked, "what Order is this, and why are we a part of it? I certainly didn't sign up for it, so that doesnt make any sense. And a Monarch? What kind of nonsense is that, I'm not any sort of royalty. Really Arietta, the more you speak, the more you sound insane." Arietta glared at me, obviously annoyed and angered by my questions, "yes boy, OUR," she emphasized the, our, as she spoke it obviously, "order. The Order of Netralius, of which you are a Monarch. Our Monarchs are not royalty in the sense that you mortals define them. Well, you are both certainly mortals as we consider them to be now, but in time you will not be. But that is beside the point. Our Monarchs are not a bloodline, they are a soul-line. The soul of a Monarch once dead, leaves the current vessel they are within and is reincarnated again in a different vessel, or body."

"Like the Dalai Llama?" Melanie asked, "are you telling me we're Tibetan somehow? That is nonsense, do we look like that to you?" "Both of you children better be quiet and stop interrupting me, but yes, similar to the Dalai Llama, but our Monarchs are not constrained to being born within just one culture. They can be born anywhere, and often are born in times of great and impending strife. I do not have much time to explain this, as at this point I am certain the other Orders have already sent their Zephrym to assasinate you. In fact, I shouldn't even be explaining this to you at all. I ought to be whisking you away to the safety of our kingdom, where you can be protected. But something tells me neither of you will agree to come with me, now would you? And our order holds free-will, balance, and disinvolvement as tenets. Unlike the other two, which constantly work to turn this plane, the plane we were created to protect, into another territory of their own."

"Other... Orders?" To be honest, even if this lady was insane, she was spinning quite a tale. One that I was honestly being quite entertained by. I saw no harm in letting her continue. "Yes, other Orders. Netralius is the balancer between the orders of Litralius and Daralius. Those two orders have been in constant conflict with each other, and ourselves since the inception of this plane of existence by the Great Creator. Humans have many names for it, God, Allah, Atum and Ptah, Vishnu, Waihakuru, The Tao, Pangu, you foolish children have many names for what is all the same being, Primius. He created the Orders of Litralius and Daralius with the intention that the two of them would co-operate within this plane of existence to maintain a perfect plane of existence for you mortals. For some odd reason he always held a penchant for favoritism towards you mortals, something that the Orders did not understand. This created jealousy, discord, and ultimately led to both Orders acting in what was their last co-ordinated venture. This act was to slay Primius, so that they could take this plane for themselves. However, before Primius finally died, he created in his last breaths, our Order. An Order created to maintain balance between Litralius and Daralius, and prevent them from acting out their desires using mortals as tools in their own ventures as much as possible. Of course, this was not accomplished perfectly, as you both will eventually learn, but it has been accomplished to a somewhat effective degree. However, I will sa-"

"AH!" Melanie and I gasped in pain in unison, clutching at the wounds on our chests. Arietta stood up and ran to the door looking down the hallway both directions before turning around, "I'm afraid it is too late to wait any further children. We must go, the Zephrym are close now, and neither of you are in any position to fight them. I implore you, agree to come with me, so we may go." Ariettas voice was pleadind, panicked, and quick.

"Look lady," Melanie said, "I don't know what you are on, but there is no way either one of us are going anywhere. If anything, we're talking to your family and going to urge them to have you comitted to a psych ward. Whatever psychosis you are in, we're having no-" Melanie screamed out in pain and doubled over, clutching at her chest again. This time however, the pain wasn't as severe as it was for her. "Why is she in so much pain?" I asked, clutching at my own chest. "Because child, she is not a monarch. She is but binded with you. As a Monarch you have a higher innate tolerance for while within the presence of Zephrym of the Daralius and Litralius Orders. You both will be able to train to the point where the pain is nonexistent, however presently, you both are at the mercy of the full effects of their auras, her especially as she has no inherent resistance to it. Now again, I beg the both of you, please agree to come with me, we have little time left, and I fear I will not be able to fend the Zephrym off if they make it to-"

A scream rang out from the banquet hall, shrill and piercing, palpable pain could be felt in its emanation as it echoed into the office, cutting Ariettas words short, "YOU FOOLISH CHILDREN!" she cursed angrily, "it is too late now!" She ran out the office, and down the hallway in the direction of the hall. I stood up and walked towards the doorway, looking back at Melanie I saw that her eyes were wide in fear, "Shawn," her voice trembled as she spoke, "what is happening?" I wracked my thoughts for something to say to calm her, but nothing came to mind, "I... dont know Mel, I honestly dont know, but we should check out whats going on." Mel nodded her approval, a pensive and fearful look still on her face. I held out my hand for hers expectantly. She walked forward and grabbed mine, and together we moved through the fleeing employees into the banquet hall.

As we passed through the double doors, we were met with a cacaphony of noise, screams, yelling, shouting, making it impossible to discern what was being said. What we saw though... what we saw was chaotic and horrifying. Blood, my god, blood was everywhere. A voice boomed through the clamor, "Monarch! We know you are here, surrender yourself and further bloodshed shall be prevented. Flee and everyone here shall meet painful and excruciating ends!" I quickly located the source of the voice. A floating man, dressed in white robes, massive claymore in his hands, seemingly engulfed in white flames. Birdlike wings spread from his back. He was powerfully majestic and absolutely terrifying at the same time. I was utterly transfixed, hypnotized by the sight of him. I was utterly and completely drawn to him. Involuntarily I took a step forward, "What are you doing here you foolish children!" Arietta slapped my face, breaking my trance, "You should have stayed put and let me handle this! Other Zephrym of our Order are already on our way to retrieve you. All you must do is willingly go with them, and we shall ensure you both escape safely. Please, agree and we can get you out of here Monarch!"

I still hesitated, unsure of what to decide, until I heard Melanie beside me, "Shawn, we have to go with them. Look at what is happe-" she screamed as a head rolled onto her feet. Five feet away another of these Zephrym, wings furled, held a sword and snarled as he yelled, "YOU! Lord Lumin he is-" before he could finish his sentence Ariettas eyes flashed and she spun around, blades of her own, twin daggers, magically appearing in her hands. She threw both, one hitting the face of the white Zephrym, the other thudding into the chest. He looked at Arietta, and gasped as he fell to his knees, "Im...pa...ra..." he fell face first onto the floor, presumably dead.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 9:44:31 PM
Arietta turned around again, facing the both of us, "now will you come with us?" she snarled. I could see reptilian wings, dragon-like in appearance begin to push out of her back and unfurl. Before I could answer, more figures, dressed in grey robes, burst through the windows on the left side of the banquet hall. All had the reptilian wings that now were unfurled on Ariettas back. Arietta turned around,

"Lumin!," her voice boomed, strong and just as terrifying as Lumin's, "Leave her now, and your Zephrym will remain alive! Stay and you will perish like the fool you have always been!" The white figure floating above the center of the room turned towards us. "Impara," he smirked as his gaze came upon Arietta, i guess actually, Impara, "You trifle in matters that are out of your scope of power. You see, we Zephrym of Litralius are not the only ones here on this day." He cackled as black robed figures on the opposite side of the room burst through the windows. Bat-like wings on their backs, "Lord Murkarus, I'm pleased to see you have arrived just in time for the fun!," Lumin cackled.

"What is this madness?" Impara laughed, "you join forces for just another Monarch? You Litralius and Daralius are getting more desperate by the century!" Lumin cackled even more, "You mean you were not even told who he," he stretched a hand and pointed it at me, "who he even is? If you knew, you would all be turning your blades upon him and stab him before you even have the chance instead of sacrificing yourselves for him moronically! It matters not though, you shall all perish here regardless, there is no need for you to know what it is you do not already!"

The grey robed figures surrounded us, each holding weapons of their own. Ariet, damnit I mean Impara turned around to us, you must go when I open up the portal, you will have but a few seconds. She began chanting, "Patefacio Ostium Netralius" repeating it over and over again, Lumin bellowed, "She is summoning a portal, quickly now, we must attack!" All the creatures, these Zephrym, surrounding the grey robed Zephrym protecting us rushed forward. They outnumbered the grey robed immensely, this was sure to be a losing battle, yet still the grey robed Zephrym rushed forward, roaring in their charge. For minutes we stood there, Impara chanting besides us. The battle raged on, and slowly the grey robed Zephrym's numbers thinned. They were fighting valiantly despite being outnumbered, killing at least a couple others before one was slain. A Zephrym turned around and yelled something I couldn't hear, and a glowing and partly transluscent dome surrounded the threee of us. Suddenly, and to me what it seemed like just in time, as the translucent Dome was fading and almost gone, Impara stopped chanting and shouted, "Nunc!" and a glowing portal appeared beside us, "quickly now!," she commanded, Go through! Do not hesitate!"

Without thought, instinctively, I shoved Melanie through the portal. I turned around while stepping backward into the portal to look one final time at the battle. Just as the portal enveloped me, I saw the dome dissapear and I could see a spear hurtling towards me, I tripped and fell backwards out of fear, and all, sights, sounds, smells, faded away into the darkness of unconsciousness.

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 9:45:11 PM
Chapter 3 is currently in proofreading and should be released within a day or two. Thanks to all who read and enjoy!
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 10:11:06 PM