Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What makes music "music"? (What is music)

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 3:10:23 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I know I made one of these for art, and bsh1 made one for art as well, but I wanted to ask you guys what you thought makes music "music".

So, what elements in a song, or what about music makes it all 'music'? What about them defines music, and why do they define that? Is there anything that isn't music? If yes, then why is it not music?

What about music makes it "music"? And, furthermore, what IS music?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 6:11:41 PM
At 3/15/2016 3:10:23 PM, Vaarka wrote:
I know I made one of these for art, and bsh1 made one for art as well, but I wanted to ask you guys what you thought makes music "music".

So, what elements in a song, or what about music makes it all 'music'? What about them defines music, and why do they define that? Is there anything that isn't music? If yes, then why is it not music?

vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 6:13:35 PM
At 3/15/2016 6:11:41 PM, Hayd wrote:

vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

What if there's no harmony, or no emotion (or both)? Is it still music?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 6:17:23 PM
At 3/15/2016 6:13:35 PM, Vaarka wrote:

no.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 6:19:20 PM
At 3/15/2016 6:17:23 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 3/15/2016 6:13:35 PM, Vaarka wrote:

no.

Can you explain what you mean by harmony, btw?

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 6:43:41 PM
At 3/15/2016 6:24:33 PM, Hayd wrote:
Hilary Putnam writes a beautiful essay on this topic:
It basically answers this (and all the "what is..." topics
http://ieas.unideb.hu...

So, just because it wouldn't load in the ten second span of patience I had, I'll ask you something slightly different.

Does beat or rhythm have anything to do with whether or not something is 'music'?

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 6:45:51 PM
At 3/15/2016 6:43:41 PM, Vaarka wrote:

So, just because it wouldn't load in the ten second span of patience I had, I'll ask you something slightly different.

Does beat or rhythm have anything to do with whether or not something is 'music'?

No
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 6:46:40 PM
At 3/15/2016 6:45:51 PM, Hayd wrote:

No

So if I just played a flute on a single note, occasionally changing the note, would that be music?

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 6:47:00 PM

No

Actually, better question: Why?

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 7:26:44 PM
At 3/15/2016 6:47:00 PM, Vaarka wrote:

No

See essay
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 8:01:46 PM

Music for all intensive purposes is a subcategory of art. Go see my response to your art :p
#Don'tlookatDATXDUDE'sprofilebecauseyoureyeswillexplode ~ Petfish
#Treebrokethechurchbells ~ Discipulus_Didicit
Don't quote me ~fire_wings
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig. ~Seventh
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 10:15:26 PM
At 3/15/2016 7:26:44 PM, Hayd wrote:

No

See essay

I want to see it from you, not an essay/pdf of something another person said... :/

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 10:21:23 PM
At 3/15/2016 8:01:46 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

Music for all intensive purposes is a subcategory of art. Go see my response to your art :p

"What makes art "art". Well there are a few things that makes art "art".

The technical definition of "art" is the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

This is a good definition but I don't particularly like it but parts of it do work for this discussion.

The end of it especially, "Works to be appreciated for their beauty/emotional power."

Now this is where it gets tricky as "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." However beauty is defined as, "a combination of qualities, such as shape, color, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight."

So what this is saying is art is a combo of qualities that makes it pleasing to the eye.

Again however this doesn't make art "art" per say. What does make art though is how you view it. So really anything can be art to you as long as you find it appealing. So one person can view the Mona Lisa as art and the other could find the Mona Lisa a waste of fire kindling."

Yeah, sure, art and music are similar, but that's not what I'm asking. I want to know what you think makes something 'music'. What about music makes it so?

Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 10:26:20 PM
As someone who likes to explore music especially the more experimental, avant-garde stuff, I don't think there's anything that can not be considered music. The only hard requirement I can think of is that is has to be auditory.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 12:08:45 AM
At 3/15/2016 10:15:26 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 3/15/2016 7:26:44 PM, Hayd wrote:

No

See essay

I want to see it from you, not an essay/pdf of something another person said... :/

one sec
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 12:15:01 AM
At 3/15/2016 10:21:23 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 3/15/2016 8:01:46 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

"What makes music "music". Well there are a few things that makes music "music".

The technical definition of "music" is the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

This is a good definition but I don't particularly like it but parts of it do work for this discussion.

The end of it especially, "Works to be appreciated for their beauty/emotional power."

Now this is where it gets tricky as "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." However beauty is defined as, "a combination of qualities, such as shape, color, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight."

So what this is saying is music is a combo of qualities that makes it pleasing to the ear.

Again however this doesn't make music "music" per say. What does make music though is how you view it. So really anything can be music to you as long as you find it appealing. So one person can listen to rap and view it as music while the other could find rap to be preposterous.
#Don'tlookatDATXDUDE'sprofilebecauseyoureyeswillexplode ~ Petfish
#Treebrokethechurchbells ~ Discipulus_Didicit
Don't quote me ~fire_wings
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig. ~Seventh
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 1:24:03 AM
I just realized I never shared my opinion on this.

Sure, melody and emotion are important, but in my opinion, the most important part of a song that makes it music is some kind of beat, or rhythm.

The above is coming from a guy who plays a music game that relies heavily on rhythm and beat, so now you can see why I say that.

Anyway, these two aspects feel like the most important to me. When there's one, there's some kind of music, and when they're together, that's good music. A beat can exist in everything, whether it be a drum and bass song, or me tapping my finger on the table. The rhythm comes in to help make it better. Now, I'm tapping on the table to a certain rhythm.

"tap taptap tap...tap taptap tap..."

When I start to make the beat in a rhythmic way, where I make a beat that's easy to follow, as if you could tap in time to the rhythm without looking, that's when the first fundamentals of the song come in. Those two are the most important parts.

Afterwards is the melody. This is what makes a song unique, and it's just as important. They go along with the rhythm, the beat, but mold or form the song itself into something unique, something different, something catchy, whatever else.

An example: https://www.youtube.com...
Yes this is osu. But the point is he is tapping in time to the beat, the rhythm, or the melody of the song. It's an example of what I find most beautiful in music, and it's what I always listen for, no matter what song I'm listening to.

https://www.youtube.com...
This is another example. No, it's not osu. It's literally people dribbling basketballs. They form a beat and a rhythm to go by, and though the rhythm changes, it stays with the beat (for the most part). At the bare basics of it, this is what I consider music.

Of course, this doesn't mean I always like this kind of music. I'm not always a big fan of simple repetition. There are songs I've heard that have a simple beat, and occasionally a rhythm, but mostly just words. When I like the beat and rhythm, I love a strong beat and rhythm. One that doesn't just sit in the background for words to take their place. Sure, it's still music, but for me, it's not good music.

At least, that's my view of it. I can add more later. Just felt like sharing :3

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 1:29:50 PM
Bump

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 12:23:15 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/16/2016 1:29:50 PM, Vaarka wrote:
Bump

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 12:35:58 AM
At 3/17/2016 12:29:02 AM, Torton wrote:
At 3/16/2016 1:24:03 AM, Vaarka wrote:
Would you consider this music?

It sounds more like a recording you'd find in an abandoned maze (where anyone who enters dies)... not much in here that sounds like music to me...

...is she talking about f@pping with bananas?

Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 12:50:58 AM
At 3/17/2016 12:35:58 AM, Vaarka wrote:

It sounds more like a recording you'd find in an abandoned maze (where anyone who enters dies)... not much in here that sounds like music to me...
This is why I take issue with definitions including a rhythm or beat, as it means cool (and strange) sh!t like this gets excluded, especially as field recordings in music have gotten a lot popular.
Wouldn't surprise me.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 12:52:08 AM
At 3/17/2016 12:50:58 AM, Torton wrote:

This is why I take issue with definitions including a rhythm or beat as requirements, as it means cool (and strange) sh!t like this gets excluded, especially as field recordings in music have gotten a lot popular.
Wouldn't surprise me.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 12:58:30 AM
At 3/17/2016 12:50:58 AM, Torton wrote:

This is why I take issue with definitions including a rhythm or beat, as it means cool (and strange) sh!t like this gets excluded, especially as field recordings in music have gotten a lot popular.
Well for me, I don't really hear many musical sounds, more of just a person talking with some sound effects occasionally popping up in the background. It doesn't exactly have a rhythm or beat that I can find it going with...
Wouldn't surprise me.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 5:40:47 PM
This is another example. No, it's not osu. It's literally people dribbling basketballs. They form a beat and a rhythm to go by, and though the rhythm changes, it stays with the beat (for the most part). At the bare basics of it, this is what I consider music.
"You're more of a fluentic fail doer who sometimes does a doo dah with a diggity ding, managing to push open doors that weren't meant to be opened, only to find that there's no floor, so you instead become spiderman and crawl on the walls." -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 5:41:36 PM
At 3/17/2016 5:40:47 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

I've seen that XD

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 5:52:07 PM

Well.... That's a weird combination of Indie/Grunge/Emo/Alternative/Lyrical, but yeah, I would call it music.
"You're more of a fluentic fail doer who sometimes does a doo dah with a diggity ding, managing to push open doors that weren't meant to be opened, only to find that there's no floor, so you instead become spiderman and crawl on the walls." -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 5:59:48 PM
At 3/17/2016 5:52:07 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Well.... That's a weird combination of Indie/Grunge/Emo/Alternative/Lyrical, but yeah, I would call it music.

I may have to listen to it again, but I didn't really hear much noise, mainly just someone talking about bananas and other stuff

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 6:03:25 PM
At 3/17/2016 5:59:48 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 3/17/2016 5:52:07 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

I may have to listen to it again, but I didn't really hear much noise, mainly just someone talking about bananas and other stuff

Yeah, thus the Lyrical/Indie/Alternative part. The words, despite how weird they are, are deep, thus the Emo part. What little sounds I do hear, it's scratchy, thus the Grunge part.