Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 6:40:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/5/2016 5:01:38 PM, UUU wrote:
or universal?

Do you mind giving us a better idea of what you mean?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 7:45:39 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
or universal?

Yes art is subjective. The loudest voices, helped by the media dictate western judgement and we all fall into line. What is called great art fetches great prices and the market is harnessed to confirm the expert opinion.
Valkrin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 4:07:50 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
If it's in terms of "do you like it", absolutely, as with any medium. The same could be said for if you think something is art or not.

However, what's "accepted" as art is universal. Like "Blue Panel" may not be art to you (it's literally a blue rectangle) or some abstract art, but it's been accepted by the art world and it's worth as such.
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 4:17:20 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Is art subjective, or universal?

It's both, and neither.

Art is a category of human endeavor, like philosophy, religion, or science. Thus, it is defined by a specific intent. The intent to document, and share, the artists experience and understanding of being. Of how the artist sees, hears, etc., and interacts with the world.

This is universal in that we are all humans, and we all share some of the same experiences of being in and of interacting with the world. And yet it's subjective in that each of us is unique, such that each artists presentation is unique, and may not be identifiable or accessible to everyone.

A couple of things to note:

Art making has nothing to do with seeking popular approval, or making lots of money. Nor does art necessarily require great skill, knowledge, or "talent". Art is not a feat of skill and cleverness. And holding to any of these assumptions as a would-be artist will almost always fail any artistic endeavor.
UUU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 4:45:38 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
' Of how the artist sees, hears, etc., and interacts with the world.'

PureX

Art is not how the artist sees or hears, it's not about the perspective. It is how he feels when he experiences something. Otherwise, how could a musician hear something he has yet to create?