Jump to topic:

Best Guitar Solos of All Time

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 2:16:55 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Guitar solos are awesome. I nominate comfortably numb and hey you by pink floyd and since Ive been lovin you by zeppelin
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 3:07:26 AM
At 5/7/2016 2:16:55 AM, Hayd wrote:
Guitar solos are awesome. I nominate comfortably numb and hey you by pink floyd and since Ive been lovin you by zeppelin

Through The Fire and The Flames by Dragonforce. Period the end
#Don'tlookatDATXDUDE'sprofilebecauseyoureyeswillexplode ~ Petfish
#Treebrokethechurchbells ~ Discipulus_Didicit
Don't quote me ~fire_wings
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig. ~Seventh
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 5:16:31 AM
There are five different types of guitar solos, the beautiful, the mesmerizing, the masterful, the powerful, and the dirty. In each of these categories, my favorite guitar solos are Marooned (by Pink Floyd), Maggot Brain (by Funkadelic), Red House (by Jimi Hendrix, live at Randall's island), Child in Time (by Deep Purple), and I Heard Her Call My Name (by The Velvet Underground) respectively.

Honorable mentions include Peel that Paint (by Gentle Giant), Spoonful (by Cream), Willie the Pimp (by Frank Zappa), Viola Lee Blues (by The Grateful Dead), Dark Star (by The Grateful Dead), Time (by Pink Floyd), Yours Is no Disgrace (by Yes, the Yessongs version), Firth of Fifth (by Genesis), Width of a Circle (by David Bowie, live at the Hammersmith Odeon), Warning (by Black Sabbath), Mr. Crowley (by Ozzy Osbourne), Dazed and Confused (by Led Zeppelin, live versions), and Whole Lotta Love (by Led Zeppelin, live versions).

As you can probably tell, I really like guitar solos.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 7:31:19 AM
At 5/7/2016 5:16:31 AM, Subutai wrote:
There are five different types of guitar solos, the beautiful, the mesmerizing, the masterful, the powerful, and the dirty. In each of these categories, my favorite guitar solos are Marooned (by Pink Floyd), Maggot Brain (by Funkadelic), Red House (by Jimi Hendrix, live at Randall's island), Child in Time (by Deep Purple), and I Heard Her Call My Name (by The Velvet Underground) respectively.

Honorable mentions include Peel that Paint (by Gentle Giant), Spoonful (by Cream), Willie the Pimp (by Frank Zappa), Viola Lee Blues (by The Grateful Dead), Dark Star (by The Grateful Dead), Time (by Pink Floyd), Yours Is no Disgrace (by Yes, the Yessongs version), Firth of Fifth (by Genesis), Width of a Circle (by David Bowie, live at the Hammersmith Odeon), Warning (by Black Sabbath), Mr. Crowley (by Ozzy Osbourne), Dazed and Confused (by Led Zeppelin, live versions), and Whole Lotta Love (by Led Zeppelin, live versions).

Have you ever heard the one-song version of Pigs On The Wing with a connecting guitar solo?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 8:02:24 AM
Ben Howard's "Promise," I think, is a guitar solo.

https://www.youtube.com...
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 3:50:05 PM
At 5/7/2016 8:02:24 AM, tejretics wrote:
Ben Howard's "Promise," I think, is a guitar solo.

Not really. I listened to while doing some other stuff. When it cuts to only the guitar, the guitar doesn't deviate from the chorus. Listen to this, guitar solo starts at around 4:36
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 8:20:50 PM
At 5/7/2016 7:31:19 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Have you ever heard the one-song version of Pigs On The Wing with a connecting guitar solo?

I hadn't, but I just listened to it. David Gilmour's guitar sound is the most beautiful one I've ever heard.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 8:30:25 PM
At 5/7/2016 8:20:50 PM, Subutai wrote:

I hadn't, but I just listened to it. David Gilmour's guitar sound is the most beautiful one I've ever heard.

That was actually Snowy White, who was later in Roger's Bleeding Heart Band.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 8:33:19 PM
At 5/7/2016 8:30:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

His sound almost directly parallels Gilmour's then. Although, if he was regularly covering Pink Floyd songs, that would explain it.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 9:42:29 PM
At 5/7/2016 8:33:19 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 5/7/2016 8:30:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

His sound almost directly parallels Gilmour's then. Although, if he was regularly covering Pink Floyd songs, that would explain it.

He was, he toured with Roger for the Wall
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 9:03:02 PM
Posted: 5 months ago

Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 12:12:33 AM
At 6/23/2016 9:03:02 PM, ironslippers wrote:

I didn't like this. It didn't have creativity, he was just hitting the same two notes over and over to a boring beat, or doing some kind of scale
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 3:31:19 AM
At 6/24/2016 12:12:33 AM, Hayd wrote:

I didn't like this. It didn't have creativity, he was just hitting the same two notes over and over to a boring beat, or doing some kind of scale

Not just the great skill set, but the hair, the stance and big Marshall stacks signify a true guitar God ;}
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 10:47:56 AM

My favorite rendition of Rachmaninov's Vocalise. I <3 Dessay.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 2:24:43 PM
At 6/24/2016 3:31:19 AM, ironslippers wrote:

Not just the great skill set, but the hair, the stance and big Marshall stacks signify a true guitar God ;}

I was more looking for music skill...
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 8:21:33 AM
At 6/25/2016 2:24:43 PM, Hayd wrote:

I would have to go for:
1) Jimmy Page, Stairway to Heaven for an extremely well crafted solo with his trademark ability to seamlessly cross from one completely different section to another whilst building a cohesive piece of music.
2) Jimmy Page, You shook Me. The first Led Zep album recorded in one session virtually.
Presumably done on a Telecaster the solo comes in last and really cuts in screaming with plenty of reverb. A great contrast to the main riff which is perhaps about the dirtiest sound ever recorded by a guitar.
3) George Harrison, Something....Pure, controlled and restrained as was typical of George's style. Apparently it took him 2 weeks to to get it to his satisfaction.
4) Buckethead...look at this guy go, with a fixed expression on his face and a KFC bucket on his head. He is the master of the (momentary) kill switch which you can see mounted near the bottom of his Les Paul.

https://youtu.be...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 5:47:08 PM
At 6/26/2016 8:21:33 AM, Willows wrote:
At 6/25/2016 2:24:43 PM, Hayd wrote:

I would have to go for:
1) Jimmy Page, Stairway to Heaven for an extremely well crafted solo with his trademark ability to seamlessly cross from one completely different section to another whilst building a cohesive piece of music.
2) Jimmy Page, You shook Me. The first Led Zep album recorded in one session virtually.
Presumably done on a Telecaster the solo comes in last and really cuts in screaming with plenty of reverb. A great contrast to the main riff which is perhaps about the dirtiest sound ever recorded by a guitar.
3) George Harrison, Something....Pure, controlled and restrained as was typical of George's style. Apparently it took him 2 weeks to to get it to his satisfaction.
4) Buckethead...look at this guy go, with a fixed expression on his face and a KFC bucket on his head. He is the master of the (momentary) kill switch which you can see mounted near the bottom of his Les Paul.

https://youtu.be...

I know all of these except Buckethead. I love David Gilmour's work
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 8:44:22 AM

Snowy White on guitar, not Gilmour.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 8:46:09 AM
At 7/4/2016 8:44:22 AM, desmac wrote:

Snowy White on guitar, not Gilmour.

Sorry, should have read rest remainder of thread before sticking in my 2 pence worth.