Jump to topic:

Classical Music

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 10:28:46 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
My favorite piece of music from the Classical period is Beethoven's 9th Symphony, as well as his 5th and 7th symphonies.

If you have any pieces that you prefer, post them below.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 12:25:54 PM
At 5/28/2016 10:28:46 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
My favorite piece of music from the Classical period is Beethoven's 9th Symphony, as well as his 5th and 7th symphonies.

Nice Beethoven's symphonies choices. My favorite is his 9th. Have you listened to his 6th?

I also like Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, Mahler's 5th and 9th symphonies, Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Fawn, and Ravel's Miroirs.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 5:29:46 PM
At 5/29/2016 12:25:54 PM, Subutai wrote:

Nice Beethoven's symphonies choices. My favorite is his 9th. Have you listened to his 6th?

I also like Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, Mahler's 5th and 9th symphonies, Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Fawn, and Ravel's Miroirs.

Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique is magnificent. I also do enjoy Haydn's Surprise Symphony, as well as Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries, and Mozart's Piano Sonatas.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 6:17:17 PM
At 5/29/2016 5:29:46 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 12:25:54 PM, Subutai wrote:

Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique is magnificent. I also do enjoy Haydn's Surprise Symphony, as well as Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries, and Mozart's Piano Sonatas.

If you like the sonatas, then you should try the concertos. The sonatas were gems, but they were intended for private performance and enjoyment. The concertos are like the sonatas but 10 times better :P
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 9:31:17 PM

Most, if not all (I'm sure a lot of people would say all) of Beethoven's piano sonatas are damn good. They're all fun to play, too, but I only learned the Moonlight, Pathetique, Appassionata, Waldstein, and Tempest. Hammerklavier's a good one, but it's long as hell (the third movement's like 22 minutes or even half an hour, depending on the interpretation), so I'm not going to be learning the whole thing any time soon, lol.

I could go on and on for other piano solos, concertos, and orchestral works. There are literally hundreds that are definitely worth listening to...
Have no regrets.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 9:28:41 AM

Mozart's Requiem Mass, especially the Lacrimosa.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 8:49:13 PM

I find it a bit hard to get into classical music because of the lack of vocals. I am so spoiled with having lyrics to latch onto. Nonetheless, I do really like this piece by a relatively lesser known composer.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 9:05:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com...
this woman reminds me of Ellen Dixon, my piano teacher from 1982 - 1985, she was outstanding.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 10:16:57 PM
At 6/1/2016 8:49:13 PM, n7 wrote:

I find it a bit hard to get into classical music because of the lack of vocals. I am so spoiled with having lyrics to latch onto. Nonetheless, I do really like this piece by a relatively lesser known composer.

Music with vocals is always good, but I've always appreciated the talent of the artists that compose such great pieces.

missmozart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 5:06:05 PM

Shostakovich Symphonies no.8 and 9 'Stalingrad'.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 5:02:12 AM

L'Histoire du soldat Igor Stravinsky

I don't think it's embedding right when I preview.. I'm following the instructions I think, anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 5:25:16 AM
I love classical music, particularly the modern period.

After I'm done listening to Stravinsky up there, I'll post another one.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 5:36:26 AM

Edgard Var"se - D"serts
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 4:20:47 AM
Figured it out, the links don't work if you use https instead of http.

Bela Bartok - Concerto For Orchestra (1943)
Lynx_N
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 9:42:23 AM
This is the very best version of Mozart's Requiem KV 626 there is IMHO.

Lacrimosa is hauntingly beautiful, it can easily bring tears to my eyes.
Bronto?
Congrats.

poet
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:02:45 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Some really thrilling piano Out of Doors composed by Bela Bartok
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 6:34:29 AM
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 8:34:28 AM
Worthy and enjoyable pieces all. I am torn between Beethoven's 3rd Piano Concerto and his Violin Concerto.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 1:30:58 AM
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:47:43 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Images by Claude Debussy
missmozart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 7:55:19 AM
At 7/13/2016 2:47:43 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

Images by Claude Debussy

I love that work! I actually played it myself last year.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 9:06:37 PM
Revised music for guitar and low budget orchestra by Frank Zappa
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 9:13:14 PM

A modern classical piece that I love:

President of DDO
Biodome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 10:04:07 PM
Did anyone know about the fact that Johan de Meij wrote Symphony No. 1 "The Lord of the Rings" in 1988? Apparently, Howard Shore doesn't have monopoly on LotR music :D

Here is one performance: https://www.youtube.com...

It's usually performed by a wind orchestra, as this is how it was arranged originally, but I've also heard arrangements involving strings as well, although I didn't enjoy them as much.