Jump to topic:

Led Zeppelin Reign Supreme

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 1:54:33 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Now that the writers of Stairway to Heaven have successfully defended a plagiarism claim with their reputation intact, can we now rightfully say that Led Zeppelin remain the greatest and most influential band ever?
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 5:50:27 AM
I haven't followed this case. But, if Let Zeppelin were guilty of plagiarism, why has it only now gone to trial, so many years later?
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 7:55:42 AM
At 6/26/2016 5:50:27 AM, Rukado wrote:
I haven't followed this case. But, if Let Zeppelin were guilty of plagiarism, why has it only now gone to trial, so many years later?

Its all to do with the $$$ I reckon.
Copyright changes hands frequently (remember Michael Jackson buying all the Beatles songs?) Some big shot publisher can see a buck to be made, buys the song (in this case Taurus) then launches a court battle. With over 40 years of royalties due that mounts up to a lot of moulah.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:27:39 AM
At 6/25/2016 1:54:33 PM, Willows wrote:
Now that the writers of Stairway to Heaven have successfully defended a plagiarism claim with their reputation intact, can we now rightfully say that Led Zeppelin remain the greatest and most influential band ever?
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 10:09:29 AM
At 6/30/2016 5:27:39 AM, ironslippers wrote:

I think Page and Co have made no bones about the fact that they have made an art form out of taking old standards and re-working them in their inimitable way. Jimmy Page himself has acknowledged that he pays respect to the old blues masters by using their material.
I think what he set out to achieve was a completely different type of style and sound and Led Zeppelin happened to be his vehicle to bring to the table something new and unique for its time.
Robert Johnson, Sun House etc. all interpreted songs and chants that they heard but their interpretations were their own truly unique style.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 4:19:10 PM

No. They were a great band, truly, but not the greatest or most influential. I don't even know how we would calculate such a thing. But however we did it, we'd probably come up with Elvis or the Beatles. And it was mostly a matter of timing. There have been lots of great bands and musicians, but these two rose to the crest of a very big cultural wave, and then rode that wave really well.

Have you seen the "Kennedy Center Honors Led Zeppelin"? If not, you may enjoy it. It was an excellent segment. America loves the Zep.

https://www.youtube.com...
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 4:26:40 PM
At 6/26/2016 5:50:27 AM, Rukado wrote:

It was an absurd charge. It was based solely on the chord progression and that chord progression was used in half a dozen songs of that time period, and probably many more, since. And the chord progression didn't define any of those songs as copies of one another. Some lawyer was out to gain a buck, hoping some judge wouldn't be knowledgable enough to see through the phony complaint.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 9:28:54 PM
At 7/1/2016 10:09:29 AM, Willows wrote:
I wonder If I could sue plagiarism for the 12 bar blues I'd be rich, rich I'm telling you rich!
what does Soso or is it Sofo mean?
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 1:37:06 AM
At 7/2/2016 9:28:54 PM, ironslippers wrote:
I wonder If I could sue plagiarism for the 12 bar blues I'd be rich, rich I'm telling you rich!

The symbol "Zoso" is probably derived from a sixteenth century treatise by mathematician and occultist Gerolamo Cardano, where it is used to represent the planet Saturn for purposes of magic. Page is a Capricorn, a sign ruled by Saturn, and Saturn, of course, is the planetary ruler of lead.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 3:38:59 AM
At 7/3/2016 1:37:06 AM, Willows wrote:

The symbol "Zoso" is probably derived from a sixteenth century treatise by mathematician and occultist Gerolamo Cardano, where it is used to represent the planet Saturn for purposes of magic. Page is a Capricorn, a sign ruled by Saturn, and Saturn, of course, is the planetary ruler of lead.

Ive asked this of fans for years, you're the first to answer even when I got the word wrong
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 4:52:43 PM
At 7/4/2016 3:38:59 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 7/3/2016 1:37:06 AM, Willows wrote:

Ive asked this of fans for years, you're the first to answer even when I got the word wrong

The extent of Jimmy Page's dabbling in the occult has always been debatable. Apparently when Page approached Terry Reid as first choice for vocalist for the band he was turned down, Reid explained that he had other touring commitments. The alternative explanation was that Reid was too wary of Page's occultism.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 1:39:48 AM
I don't know, but does any song rock harder than "The Ocean"?

If there is(there isn't), It's probably a Led Zeppelin song.

Led Zeppelin should always be played loudly.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,