Jump to topic:

Favorite Museums

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 3:48:25 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Working and growing up in New York City, I probably haven't taken advantage of as many museums and cultural icons as I should. I've been to the Museum of Natural History quite a few times including the attached Hayden Planetarium. I've also been to the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I've been to the Museum of Sex, The Italian-American Museum and the Brooklyn Museum as well.

I haven't been to the Whitney or Guggenheim; I'll get around to those.

What are your favorite museums in the United States?
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 3:56:04 PM
What are your favorite museums outside of the United States?

Mine would have to be the Vatican in Rome, and all of the Gaudi museums in Barcelona.

I plan on going to Amsterdam and Paris for my 30th birthday. When I do, I'll check out the Anne Frank museum and the Louvre.
President of DDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:03:39 PM
At 7/11/2016 3:48:25 PM, Danielle wrote:
Working and growing up in New York City, I probably haven't taken advantage of as many museums and cultural icons as I should. I've been to the Museum of Natural History quite a few times including the attached Hayden Planetarium. I've also been to the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I've been to the Museum of Sex, The Italian-American Museum and the Brooklyn Museum as well.

I really loved the Met, though the Philadelphia Museum of Art is probably my favorite. The Rodin Museum and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia are also up there on my list, and of course the Smithsonian. The Goughenheim was cool, though I was young when I went. I also liked the Glencairn Museum, the Brandywine River Museum, and the Michener Museum, which are smaller ones close to my area.

The ones which I most want to go see are probably the Barnes Foundation, the Wadsworth Atheneum, and the Hudson River Museum.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:08:51 PM
At 7/11/2016 3:56:04 PM, Danielle wrote:

Mine would have to be the Vatican in Rome, and all of the Gaudi museums in Barcelona.

I plan on going to Amsterdam and Paris for my 30th birthday. When I do, I'll check out the Anne Frank museum and the Louvre.

How was Gaudi? I missed them while I was there, as I only stopped briefly on a train trip through Europe.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:11:08 PM
At 7/11/2016 4:08:51 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
How was Gaudi? I missed them while I was there, as I only stopped briefly on a train trip through Europe.

Amazing. The Sagrada Familia is probably my favorite building in the world (both inside and outside). Construction is almost finished! His other works are pretty cool too. I've seen Casa Batllo and some other that I can't think of off the top of my head.
President of DDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:16:01 PM
At 7/11/2016 4:11:08 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/11/2016 4:08:51 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Amazing. The Sagrada Familia is probably my favorite building in the world (both inside and outside). Construction is almost finished! His other works are pretty cool too. I've seen Casa Batllo and some other that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I saw the outside, and it was really, really, cool. I regret being more into history than art when I went, I would have spent less time in Carcassonne and more in Barcelona. I definitely remember seeing Casa Batllo, though I had no idea what it was at the time. It's so unreal looking, like something out of a fantasy novel.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:18:59 PM
At 7/11/2016 4:16:01 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I saw the outside, and it was really, really, cool. I regret being more into history than art when I went, I would have spent less time in Carcassonne and more in Barcelona. I definitely remember seeing Casa Batllo, though I had no idea what it was at the time. It's so unreal looking, like something out of a fantasy novel.

Indeed. Art has so much historical significance though :) I don't care much about art except for when I have a great (real life, not audio) tour guide. So much of the paintings and sculptures and even architecture has a lot to do with the political and historical going-ons of the time -- at least from what I could tell about most of my travels and excursions. I prefer the historical sites too though, tbh. But a knowledgeable tour guide can explain so much about the art that I would have missed.
President of DDO
missmozart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:51:24 PM

My favourite museum would have to be the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 6:37:15 PM
At 7/11/2016 4:18:59 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/11/2016 4:16:01 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Indeed. Art has so much historical significance though :) I don't care much about art except for when I have a great (real life, not audio) tour guide. So much of the paintings and sculptures and even architecture has a lot to do with the political and historical going-ons of the time -- at least from what I could tell about most of my travels and excursions. I prefer the historical sites too though, tbh. But a knowledgeable tour guide can explain so much about the art that I would have missed.

How do you typically find tour guides? I've never really had one on any of my vacations.

And how long will you be in Paris? That is an incredible city. I had sort of irrationally decided that it was overrated before I had even gone there, but I was blown away by the experience.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 4:48:05 PM
You're lucky to live in NYC! The museums here are pretty boring :/ They're fun the first time you visit, but there's not much there, so you end up looking at the same paintings and objects every time. They do hold special exhibitions, but the permanent ones are altered like every 10 years. (And I do mean 'altered', not 'changed'.)

I'm just glad the art and space museums will soon get much-needed renovations. Lack of updates aside, history is the best-designed amongst the museums. The art museum is one of the better ones too. The heritage museum is okay. The space museum is awfully small and the science museum is for kids, with only a few rare items (probably only one: the dinosaur fossil). There are lots of other smaller museums, which either have a very specific theme (e.g. correctional services, police, trains) or are based on historical sites (defence, Lee Cheng Uk, Sam Tung Uk).
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 3:07:19 PM
At 7/11/2016 3:48:25 PM, Danielle wrote:

There are a few museums about 45 minutes away from where I live, but I've mainly only been to those on field trips. There is, however, a museum of art about 20 minutes away from where I live.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 5:20:22 PM
What are your favorite museums outside of the United States?\

Museums in Paris

I live in Paris, Louvre is a 20 min. drive
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:20:08 AM
I need to go to more museums...I love them but I just haven't gone to that many

The best one I can remember is the Musical Instrument Museum, its super cool.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 12:16:42 PM
At 7/17/2016 5:20:22 PM, fire_wings wrote:

That's cool. I don't remember exactly, but is entry free for students under 16?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 12:32:46 PM
At 7/20/2016 12:16:42 PM, tejretics wrote:

Yeah, free for me, but we have a family membership because we don't need to go into the big line :D

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 12:33:15 PM
At 7/20/2016 12:16:42 PM, tejretics wrote:

I think it is free until 18, but I am not really sure, but it is free for you.

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 12:50:40 PM
At 7/20/2016 12:33:15 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Yup, it was, when I was in Paris.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 12:52:36 PM
At 7/20/2016 12:50:40 PM, tejretics wrote:

How old were you at that time?

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 12:53:13 PM
At 7/20/2016 12:52:36 PM, fire_wings wrote:

I was thirteen, I think. Or twelve.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 12:53:42 PM
At 7/20/2016 12:53:13 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 7/20/2016 12:52:36 PM, fire_wings wrote:

I was thirteen, I think. Or twelve.

When you couldn't be on DDO :D.

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 8:43:40 PM
At 7/18/2016 1:20:08 AM, Hayd wrote:

Sounds awesome. Where is that?
President of DDO
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 8:44:25 PM
At 7/20/2016 8:43:40 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/18/2016 1:20:08 AM, Hayd wrote:

Sounds awesome. Where is that?

Arizona