Jump to topic:

The arts in school

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 5:59:43 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
I don't have a long post to make about this with links and a bunch of research. I just remember having a small debate about this in class once.

When I say arts, I mean any kind of art, so music, band, art, dance, theater, etc.

Do you believe that the arts should become a mandatory class in public schools in the US?

Do you believe the arts should be removed from the public school curriculum and replaced with other classes such as STEM classes or other courses?

Do you not care?

Do you think arts in school are fine the way they are and shouldn't be changed?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 6:01:26 PM
Personally, I don't care too much, but I had to take some art course last year, and I took music appreciation. It was easily my favorite class during the semester. I'm definitely against removing it completely, but I'm fine with it being the way it is right now. Of course, I also wouldn't mind it being mandatory as long as I got to choose which art I took.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 7:37:45 PM
At 7/25/2016 5:59:43 PM, Vaarka wrote:
I don't have a long post to make about this with links and a bunch of research. I just remember having a small debate about this in class once.

When I say arts, I mean any kind of art, so music, band, art, dance, theater, etc.

Do you believe that the arts should become a mandatory class in public schools in the US?
I don't see a problem with it being mandatory if you can choose which kind of art to do.
Do you believe the arts should be removed from the public school curriculum and replaced with other classes such as STEM classes or other courses?
NO.
Do you not care?

It's fine the way it works at my school. (Well, at the middle school at least. Idk about high school.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 7:40:03 PM
At 7/25/2016 7:37:45 PM, Godgirl wrote:

I don't see a problem with it being mandatory if you can choose which kind of art to do.
NO.
Do you not care?

It's fine the way it works at my school. (Well, at the middle school at least. Idk about high school.

If I'm correct, you have to take at least one art course while in school, whether it be art, music, dance, or theater related

Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 7:47:03 PM
At 7/25/2016 7:40:03 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 7/25/2016 7:37:45 PM, Godgirl wrote:

NO.
Do you not care?

If I'm correct, you have to take at least one art course while in school, whether it be art, music, dance, or theater related
At my school, you take one elective. It's an hour long every other day. The options are:
Theater
Band
Music appreciation
Video media
Keyboarding (typing)
Woodshop
Art
Choir
Guitar
I think that's it. We also have this 30 minute period in the middle of the day called "Dragon Time" where you can either take choir or band or use it as a study hall.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 5:44:44 PM
I hate all kinds of art in school, they are useless.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 5:17:30 PM
At 7/27/2016 5:44:44 PM, fire_wings wrote:
I hate all kinds of art in school, they are useless.

Why do you believe they are useless?

PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 4:25:49 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Not art, but art appreciation.

An educated public should include art appreciation. As it stands, now, few people even know what art is, let alone why it's important to a healthy society. Such that most people think art is 'entertainment'. And that entertainment is just another commodity to be generated and sold for profit.

Very sad. Because art is so much more, and more important than that.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 1:05:06 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 4:25:49 PM, PureX wrote:
Not art, but art appreciation.

An educated public should include art appreciation. As it stands, now, few people even know what art is, let alone why it's important to a healthy society. Such that most people think art is 'entertainment'. And that entertainment is just another commodity to be generated and sold for profit.
I took art and music appreciation last year. They were two of my favorite classes

Very sad. Because art is so much more, and more important than that.