Jump to topic:

What do you make of this piece?

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 3:34:31 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
I can't figure out for the life of me what this piece is about.

Shostakovich wrote it as part of a concerto for his son's 19th birthday. The other movements are relatively fast and lively, and then there's this one. It's definitely melancholic, but I can't figure out anything beyond that. Sometimes it seems nostalgic in a warm but sad sort of way, other times it seems eerie, like the remnants of a failed society (perhaps the Soviet Union), and other times it's just depressing. I honestly have no idea. Your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com...
"I got thinkin' how we was holy when we was one thing, an' mankin' was holy when it was one thing. An' it on'y got unholy when one mis'able little fella got the bit in his teeth an' run off his own way, kickin' an' draggin' an' fightin'. Fella like that bust the holiness. But when they're all workin' together, not one fella for another fella, but one fella kind of harnessed to the whole shebang, that's right, that's holy."
--Rev. Casy, The Grapes of Wrath
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 6:40:24 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 9/21/2016 3:34:31 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:
I can't figure out for the life of me what this piece is about.

Shostakovich wrote it as part of a concerto for his son's 19th birthday. The other movements are relatively fast and lively, and then there's this one. It's definitely melancholic, but I can't figure out anything beyond that. Sometimes it seems nostalgic in a warm but sad sort of way, other times it seems eerie, like the remnants of a failed society (perhaps the Soviet Union), and other times it's just depressing. I honestly have no idea. Your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com...

It reminds me of some old Demetori song's intro I used to remember the name to.
Also reminds me of the station I listen to when all the other (2) stations I bother to listen to are on break or playing a bad song.

I like it :3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCat: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya