Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

DDO Writers / Poets

PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 11:18:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Writers and poets. We got any on here?

I suggest we create an online critique group, preferably on deviantART but anywhere is fine, really.

Discuss.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 11:32:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am told that I am a fairly good expository/analytic writer when I but forth the effort to read over and edit my work (read: NOT on this site). I've won a few bucks in essay contests against other high schoolers over the years, but I am not on the level of where I want to be in college. I have thought about doing some form of creative writing but never had the time or motivation to do much. I've written some short stories exploring narrative structures but never really gotten the result I wanted. They are short and awful.

If I may ask, what colleges have you applied to PoeJoe (I assume by your age you are a high school senior) and are you planning on studying English or humanities?
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 11:37:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm a poet also writing a 50 page thesis
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 11:39:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What is your thesis topic? Do you go to a college that requires a thesis for undergrads or are you writing a thesis for fun?
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 11:43:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/15/2011 11:39:54 PM, Grape wrote:
What is your thesis topic? Do you go to a college that requires a thesis for undergrads or are you writing a thesis for fun?

I'm in an honors college that requires a thesis to graduate. My thesis topic is:

AN ANALYSIS ON THE ECONOMIC BENEFITS OF TEACHING FINANCIAL LITERACY AT AN EARLY AGE AND A LOOK AT CURRENT RETIREMENT SAVINGS

This paper is being written to discover whether the current level of money being appropriated by the public for retirement would increase if financial literacy would be taught at a middle school and high school level. This paper will examine the current amount of retirement savings both in IRAs and 401ks, the current educational standards surrounding financial literacy in high schools and middle schools, how other countries approach retirement, the effect of having opt out vs. opt in policies for 401ks, and the economic benefits of an earlier average retirement. My hypothesis is that by mandating financial literacy courses at a middle to high school range, the amount of retirement saving will substantially increase which will lower the average retirement age. I believe that a lower retirement age will economically benefit the U.S. as a whole and will provide more job openings. I will write my paper based on online research, recent periodicals, as well as surveys.

I hope to find out the facts regarding the current situation and offer well researched solutions to assist the public regarding retirement savings. I hope to learn what can work to improve retirement savings as a whole and would like to apply this thesis in petitioning congressmen to enact those changes. I hope this thesis would be published so that are nation can be informed of a looming threat to our financial security.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 11:52:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
That actually sounds like a fairly interesting topic. I've applied to a lot of colleges that require a thesis (because I'm poor and rich private schools that give out loads of aid to peasants such as me are actually cheaper). It definitely sounds like a good way to cap off your education. What major is that thesis for? I assume economics or something similar.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 11:54:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/15/2011 11:52:31 PM, Grape wrote:
That actually sounds like a fairly interesting topic. I've applied to a lot of colleges that require a thesis (because I'm poor and rich private schools that give out loads of aid to peasants such as me are actually cheaper). It definitely sounds like a good way to cap off your education. What major is that thesis for? I assume economics or something similar.

Finance, but in my college you can write yours about anything, you just graduate with honors on the topic which you write your thesis.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 11:57:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
my school is a public school, it just is so large that it has an honors college within it that accepts 2% of all enrolled students.

It's actually a really great honors college. I've personally met and shook hands with the CEOs from PNC Bank and the Bank of New York Mellon. Also had the opportunity to have breakfast with the Marketing director of both the NFL and the Olympics.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 12:00:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I write a lot. I used to like fiction but I've started to write more about politics, ethics, epistemology, existentialism (my favorite), economics and cultural differences/similarities. My schools tend to assign 20 - 30 pg. essays so I've gotten better over the year. I've tried writing more creative stories such as fantasy and comedy but I'm not as interested anymore... Lol.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 12:07:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Do you consider this poetry?

http://www.newgrounds.com...
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 12:25:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/15/2011 11:57:29 PM, askbob wrote:
my school is a public school, it just is so large that it has an honors college within it that accepts 2% of all enrolled students.

It's actually a really great honors college. I've personally met and shook hands with the CEOs from PNC Bank and the Bank of New York Mellon. Also had the opportunity to have breakfast with the Marketing director of both the NFL and the Olympics.

There are quite a few public schools that have excellent honors programs like that. I only applied to one such program (at the University of Binghamton) because they're aren't many in my state and because top privates are cheaper for poor folk. My friend is pre-med in a program like that. He's graduating in three years, saving a lot of money, and he'll have a much better GPA than if he went somewhere like Cornell or Hopkins. That said, he thinks a lot of the classes outside the honors program are easy and boring as hell.

I'm probably going to go to a rich white people school because I was basically born to fill in bubbles on standardized tests (which they love) and they give the most free money.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 12:29:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Personally I think the recitation of poetry is just as important as the words on the paper.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 12:30:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm going to refrain from making any more off topic posts in this thread. I will return when I have something meaningful to say about writing.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 1:50:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
...uhhh...

Anyway, I've found that a great way to improve your writing abilities, particularly in creative writing, is to give and receive constructive criticism on your work. (I'm part of a writing club at my school, and it's done wonders for the writing of our members.) Since we all know each other a little bit, I thought it might be cool to form a writing group of our own.

So, what do you say about forming a little circle over at deviantart?

I've been spamming my profile a little bit lately, but if you add me (http://ianjolie.deviantart.com...) and tell me here, I'll add you too. Perhaps if we get enough people on there we can consider starting an official literature group.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
ruelariat
Posts: 186
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 10:34:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I hope you do get it started. That would be something me and some my friends (who aren't on DDO but on DA) would like. Our highschool has this thing called Poetry&Pizza club (long story short, you don't get free pizza if you don't read your poem aloud) but it's run through whatever lunch you have and me and my friends don't have the same lunches anymore so we're thinking about not doing it this semester because it's not really any fun when you don't know anybody.
Also, fanfiction.com and fictionpress.com are websites you might enjoy where you can share you stories for other people to read and review. However, I do not know of a website similar to those two for nonfiction works.
jmar8542
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 10:04:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/15/2011 11:51:32 PM, rogue wrote:
i am one. i hope someone challenges me to one sumtime.

Do you mean a debate about writing/poetry, or a competition?
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
Heathen
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 10:14:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Im a poet and I would love to be in a critique group.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 10:36:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If this is still in the works, I'd like to join. I've participated in a couple of creative writing debates but I would have preferred an opportunity to discuss and critique.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 7:39:06 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm a poet and I didn't know it.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ogan
Posts: 407
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 5:30:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Poets are full of Fire; a fire of Beauty that threatens the clinical reason with a blast of LIFE and unfolds the self to HERE, and carries them far beyond the boundries of the seeming, which is a penetration of HERE. Beyond is HERE with bandages removed from the mummy of sleep. Awaken you foolish sleepers - before the corpse of self drags you into further whirlpools of this lower life. Awaken and dis-cover the LOVE of your LIFE.
Sottaceti
Posts: 20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2011 12:44:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/26/2011 7:39:06 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I'm a poet and I didn't know it.

Can you make a rhyme anytime? Wait that was uncalled for, as you didn't hint that you were a freestlyle rapper...