Jump to topic:

Does anyone here write?

leethal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2009 5:35:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
If so, what do you write? Ever had anything published? Why do you write?

I mainly write scripts (generally short films) and fiction in general. I write because I enjoy it, foremost, and because I strive to either have a film released or a book published (hopefully both!) at some stage in my life. Someone's gotta do it, and you gotta be in it to win it.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2009 7:10:45 PM
Not counting countless rants on the interwebz, I've had one poem published as the result of a contest, though I seem to have lost it. (it was stored on a zip drive that was later corrupted.)

I also won 50 dollars for an essay about The Fountainhead.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2009 7:23:52 PM
At 2/27/2009 7:10:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Not counting countless rants on the interwebz, I've had one poem published as the result of a contest, though I seem to have lost it. (it was stored on a zip drive that was later corrupted.)

I also won 50 dollars for an essay about The Fountainhead.

You should send me that essay. There's a scholarship available if I write an essay about that book.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2009 8:15:08 PM
Um yeah, I wrote the essay for the scholarship contest, the 50 bucks was one of the lower tier prizes. ARI kind of keeps track of plagiarism, lolz.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2009 8:21:57 PM
Besides, that was on a different computer, a school one, I no longer have a copy of the essay, though I have a copy of the Atlas Shrugged essay I didn't win anything for. :)

My name is misspelled on their website's list of semi-finalists lol.
jjmd280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2009 11:22:33 PM
Used to write a column for Stars and Stripes, have had several poems published, and write all the time when I have spare time, which is seldom now.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2009 4:46:49 AM
Some of my comedy plays have been acted on stage and I write a regular column for a travel magazine. I also used to be a foreign correspondent for the Guardian newspaper. Ironically, written English was never my strongest suit at school, but when I trained and became a lawyer, which was my first profession, my command of the language improved immeasurably.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
MewxVenus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2009 2:28:14 PM
Hmm...I write lyrics, poems, scripts, romance novels, teen novels, fantasy novels, and humorous short stories.
: At 1/20/2011 10:42:53 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
: I didn't say ugly stick. I said it was beyond stick, it was a paddle.
one-2-won
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2009 3:39:54 PM
I write whenever I feel inspired and have free time! Unfortunately that's not been so often anymore.
I've written articles for local newspapers and letters to businesses and lawyers for companies.
I enjoy writing poetry and novels whenever I get the chance although only one poem has ever been published!
i_defy_the_norm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2009 11:54:16 PM
I used to write poetry all the time. I write just basic rhyming poetry. I haven't written in a while, mainly because I haven't been in distress (which I guess is a good thing). haha
I can't defy gravity (I'm actually quite clumsy), but I can defy the norm. Try to stand out.
faraecho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2009 12:53:00 AM
yeah, storylines for fictions novels or series. if any of them have gotten published it means that i actually finished one of the stories and i highly doubt that. poetry, as well. i usually finish the poems, though...hmmm...i was offered a chance to have one of my poems published in a book, but i decided not to because it would've cost a lot money.....it wasn't even that good of a poem
http://poetry.com...
i only wrote it because my dad wanted me to right something about god....grrr....bite me.
life is just one big hell of a party
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2009 10:07:33 PM
I write multiple blogs, on different subjects. I hire out as a consultant from time to time to write technical proposals for large companies that are bidding on government contracts. I had a technical book, "The Dictionary of Computer Graphics and Virtual Reality" published years ago. It went through two editions and was translated into Chinese and Polish (?). Inexplicably, Hollywood never snapped up the movie rights.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2009 8:52:46 PM
I have about a dozen (honestly I've lost count) novels I've started over the years, but I usually putter out somewhere between page 12 and 50 into the novels.

Hopefully I'll get one closre to completion someday, will see.

Most are fantasy stories (3 are actually a trilogy), but recently I've started on what I can only describe as a pseudo-biography of my late wife.

I would actually like to talk about her on here (the forum, not this thread, that'd spam it up!), what she went through, but I'll have to carefully read the rules of the forum first.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2009 8:55:48 PM
At 4/11/2009 8:52:46 PM, PervRat wrote:
. . . but I'll have to carefully read the rules of the forum first.

Quick tip: The mod doesn't hang around the forum (or this site most of the time for that matter). You can do whatever you want. The mod only sees what we report, and the community doesn't report much.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2009 9:05:30 PM
At 4/11/2009 8:55:48 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 4/11/2009 8:52:46 PM, PervRat wrote:
. . . but I'll have to carefully read the rules of the forum first.

Quick tip: The mod doesn't hang around the forum (or this site most of the time for that matter). You can do whatever you want. The mod only sees what we report, and the community doesn't report much.

Maybe so, but I always wind up being the one caught holding the bag even if everyone has done the same thing for a decade and no one's gotten in hot water. I'd always be the first, heh, and I don't wish to violate the house rules out of respect for the house. I'm still very new here, but this seems like an inviting house for people of all beliefs, I would not wish to cause it ire by violating the rules.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2009 4:23:25 AM
I want to get around to writing a fantasy fiction novel, possibly a series, however, I am working on the world of it, and then have to expand my writing vocabulary. In the next 5-10 years, look for The Hunters Guise by Gary J.J. Swan.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2009 7:45:21 PM
I write all the time...just about whatever pops into my head.

I tried to write a story once...and I was doing pretty well, but the pages got ripped out of the book I was using, and I'm much too lazy to write it all over again.

Plus, I couldn't remember how I phrased certain parts, which normally isn't a concern -- but I really liked how I put everything together, so I would've been entirely unsatisfied if I tried again.
VainApocalypse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 1:21:18 PM
I've written poetry for nearly ten years. Over the last two years that has been mostly sonnets. I've dabbled in short, narrative prose, but feel I'm weaker in it than I am in poetry.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2009 5:39:53 AM
I've decided to start writing a novel, and found this: http://www.spacejock.com...

It's called Ywriter. You can put locations, characters, objects, etc. in one handy place. I'm using it now.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
haley.debate20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2009 7:51:55 AM
I write debate cases, and tons of them. Also I write short stories and poetry. I've had 8 poems published in a book and I'm working on having my own poetry book published. :)
Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Yazumie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2009 1:48:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hey, I write poetry and i got one poem published and got 100 bucks for it. I find writing to take the stress out of life.
Sylux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 9:59:18 AM
Yeah, I write.
"Can you see? Do you know?
The string behind you, it's shiny and pretty.
Where is my string.
Give me because I don't know.
Give me your string.
Give me everything."
-grasshoppa
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 3:51:49 PM
Hey! Who is OP that charming devil? The name sounds familiar...
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 5:27:18 PM
I haven't recently but writing short stories used to be a passion of mine. When I was a child, everyone thought I was going to become a writer but I didn't think I could make a lot of money doing that and I still had delusions of becoming a model lol. I took a 12th grade Writer's Craft course that most people had difficulty in... when I ran out of ideas (we had to write a short story every 3 days, each with certain guidelines) I handed in two stories I'd written in the 8th grade and gotten two A+s, which was probably better than most of the class...