Jump to topic:

Open challenge for History debate

The_Harlequin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:01:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Howdy. So, the moment has passed, but I was in the final of a biggish regional debating competition recently. The motion was That This House Believes That History Will Not Look Kindly on the First Decade of the 21st Century. In preparation I tried to debate that topic here 3 times but everyone bailed. So who wants it? Who's actually interested in pursuing it?

http://www.debate.org...
Nostalgia is not what it once was
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:10:06 PM
At 2/13/2011 7:01:23 PM, The_Harlequin wrote:
Howdy. So, the moment has passed, but I was in the final of a biggish regional debating competition recently. The motion was That This House Believes That History Will Not Look Kindly on the First Decade of the 21st Century. In preparation I tried to debate that topic here 3 times but everyone bailed. So who wants it? Who's actually interested in pursuing it?

http://www.debate.org...

I love history debates, and would like to take one, but i hardly call that history. Last year was history?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:21:34 AM
It's an interesting debate topic but it's so wooly and subjective. It will consist of A happened in this time period and that was bad, No but I think A was okay, and B also happened and that was great.

In addition the decade can only really be evaluated in the context of what happened before and what happened after. Do you for instance regard 9/11 as the herald of the comining apocalypse, or the eventual catalyst for a peaceful democratic middle east? We won't know until more time has elapsed.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
The_Harlequin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 10:37:01 AM
Yes, it's history. Extremely recent history, but History nonetheless. Perhaps I phrased it badly, but is there anyone here who'll accept this if I challenge them?
Nostalgia is not what it once was