New Debate Voting Requirements & More Updates

JuliaD
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 3:08:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hello everyone,

Today we are going to launch a new update to the site that will contain the following feature enhancements.

-Activity Level Requirement for Voting – Phone verification for voting will remain intact as step 1 of the verification process. Members will now also have to complete 3 debates prior to being granted the ability to vote on debates. (Complete being "Voting Period" or beyond)

-Removed the Ability to Vote on Your Own Debates – For all future debates started after this release, any member participating in a particular debate will not have the ability to vote on that debate.

-Reason For Decision Requirement on Debate Setup – Members will now have the ability to make the "reason for decision" comment a requirement upon setting up a debate. It is now included as one of the debate settings.

-New Right Rail Design & Search Bar – Revamped the design of the right hand navigation and the search box for improved usability.

-Third Party Moderation – All reported items will now flow through a third party moderation system described in this post - http://www.debate.org... The ToS will remain intact as is since no consensus on changes has yet been reached by the community.

The release is scheduled to go out at 4:30pm CST. We expect no more than 15 minutes of downtime with this release. If you are attempting to use the site between 4:15-4:45pm CST, expect to experience issues as it is likely the release will be updating the site at that time.

Since this release does involve some design changes – upon logging in after the release, please clear your browser cache in order to get the most up to date version of the design & CSS.

I will update this thread when the release has been fully installed at which point I will provide a new thread for members to report any issues they experience.

Thanks,
Julia
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 3:16:49 PM
Wow this is really awesome! Thanks Juggle.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 3:43:43 PM
At 2/17/2011 3:16:49 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Wow this is really awesome! Thanks Juggle.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:47:57 PM
The new side bar looks sick.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:48:17 PM
At 2/17/2011 4:47:30 PM, eric.castelli wrote:
These updates have been rolled. Please report any problems in this thread.

Thanks,
Eric
Thank you.

Can you take a look at this: http://www.debate.org...
JuliaD
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:51:43 PM
All - to avoid confusion and keep the news about the release isolated from any issues to report, please use this post - http://www.debate.org... to report issues.

Thanks!
Julia
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:51:48 PM
This is freaking sick (awesome)

Good job juggle the site is sooo much faster and the sidebar is visually appealing. Also the RFD setting and moderation is tops!
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:19:42 PM
Well, I'll be the party pooper.

I have to say that I think the removal of a lot of color, kind of makes the site feel colder.

But that is just me.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 8:53:09 PM
Wow, this is cool. As said before, the lack of color on the sidebar will take getting used to, but overall, this is just plain awesome.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:37:26 PM
Superb work !
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 9:56:48 AM
Request: Can you (in the boxes below the actual debate where it shows:

Challenge Expires In
06days14hours40minutes18seconds
Started: 2/18/2011 Category: Politics
Updated: 9 hours ago Status: Challenge Period
Viewed: 37 times Debate No: 14836

Add a box that says Mandatory RFD with an answer of (Yes/No)?

This way people who accept the debates will know if it is a debate that requires RFDs
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 3:24:36 AM
At 2/17/2011 3:08:09 PM, JuliaD wrote:
-Activity Level Requirement for Voting – Phone verification for voting will remain intact as step 1 of the verification process. Members will now also have to complete 3 debates prior to being granted the ability to vote on debates. (Complete being "Voting Period" or beyond)

Some people dont have phones, but are clearly legit......
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 3:26:46 AM
At 2/21/2011 3:24:36 AM, juvanya wrote:
At 2/17/2011 3:08:09 PM, JuliaD wrote:

Some people dont have phones, but are clearly legit......

Meh. When I get my new phone I can possibly give you my number.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 12:03:56 AM
I'd prefer to have "Remember Me" above the Login button on the left panel than below. I believe it makes more sense to have the entire form above the submit button.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 1:20:39 AM
So completely random and unnecessary but i would kinda like profiles to say the amount of years and months youve been a member rather than just years.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Fabian_CH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 11:39:57 AM
Perhaps this is the right place to say this, perhaps not: I'm unable to confirm my cellphone number since my carrier (Swisscom, the largest carrier in Switzerland) isn't listed. What can I do?
"What are we doing? Do we want to feed a starved humanity in order to let it live? Or do we want to strangle its life in order to feed it?"
- Andrei Taganov, We The Living (Ayn Rand)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 12:49:57 PM
At 3/10/2011 11:39:57 AM, Fabian_CH wrote:
Perhaps this is the right place to say this, perhaps not: I'm unable to confirm my cellphone number since my carrier (Swisscom, the largest carrier in Switzerland) isn't listed. What can I do?

Find a friend on facebook that has a US cell phone. I believe that ONLY US cell phones are accepted (though there might be one or two UK ones).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 1:03:18 PM
At 3/11/2011 12:49:57 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/10/2011 11:39:57 AM, Fabian_CH wrote:

Find a friend on facebook that has a US cell phone. I believe that ONLY US cell phones are accepted (though there might be one or two UK ones).

Nah, Canadians are okay but if you're outside North America then the only way is to get someone to supply you with a number and then send you the code. You can still debate though, you only need to confirm to vote.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 10:12:00 PM
At 3/9/2011 1:20:39 AM, Alex wrote:
So completely random and unnecessary but i would kinda like profiles to say the amount of years and months youve been a member rather than just years.

It could just give the date joined.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 11:17:45 PM
I'd just like to point out how great of a job these updates have been. Since their arrival the amount of unwarranted straight seven votes I have seen has dropped at least 95 percent. There's less votes overall then there used to be, but hey, quality over quantity.
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 11:33:21 PM
I can't umlaut in profile comments. It gives something that looks like A1/4 but really funky. I don't always use it for swearing by the way. I tried to say über and it got fücked up.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 1:35:07 AM
Has there been another update?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...