Jump to topic:

Debate Team

thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 3:53:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Here, I have an idea. Lower-rank debaters (under 95th percentile) should get together and keep in contact through messages. We work on a debate together, then challenge debaters like theLwerd to defeat our team. Until, of course, the unholy alliance between J. Kenyon, theLwerd and bluesteel begins. Muahaha.
"Modern atheism is Richard Dawkins."- thegodhand

"Thegodhand likes to misquote people"- Benjamin Franklin
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 3:59:20 PM
At 2/18/2011 3:53:01 PM, thegodhand wrote:
Here, I have an idea. Lower-rank debaters (under 95th percentile) should get together and keep in contact through messages. We work on a debate together, then challenge debaters like theLwerd to defeat our team. Until, of course, the unholy alliance between J. Kenyon, theLwerd and bluesteel begins. Muahaha.

...yeah, good luck with that.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:02:07 PM
At 2/18/2011 3:59:20 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 2/18/2011 3:53:01 PM, thegodhand wrote:

...yeah, good luck with that.

What's wrong? If we kept it to 2 or 3 members it would be fun.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:04:22 PM
well, besides the eventual accusations of voting abuse come pouring in on that (if you have 5 people all working together on a debate, 4 of them would likely vote for themselves), people would just start rejecting the debates.
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:05:56 PM
At 2/18/2011 4:04:22 PM, OreEle wrote:
well, besides the eventual accusations of voting abuse come pouring in on that (if you have 5 people all working together on a debate, 4 of them would likely vote for themselves), people would just start rejecting the debates.

Lol I can't even vote, they should have IP limits and whatnot.

LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:09:57 PM
You'd still lose.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:41:38 PM
At 2/18/2011 4:09:57 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
You'd still lose.

Yep.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:44:38 PM
At 2/18/2011 5:43:34 PM, Danielle wrote:
I wanted to do a team debate tournament; nobody was interested :P

Well, we may not get a team debate one, but we are getting an intersite one here in the coming months.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:45:32 PM
Actually, maybe I'll see if we can do a team in-house debate tournee. It isn't hard to do in forums (but it takes an active moderator to keep clean).
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:51:34 PM
At 2/18/2011 5:45:32 PM, OreEle wrote:
Actually, maybe I'll see if we can do a team in-house debate tournee. It isn't hard to do in forums (but it takes an active moderator to keep clean).

I had an idea of a way to run it collectively. For instance say there were 5 teams with 5 captains. There would be a team PM and captain PM, so the captains discussed their teams input and made collective decisions. I even formatted a way to assign topics and judges. As I said, people didn't seem interested though. This could be separate from the thing Juggle is hosting or whatever (which will allegedly have a cash prize). I would volunteer to help get the team thing going; I think some other people including Freeman might be interested too.
President of DDO
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:54:58 PM
At 2/18/2011 5:51:34 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 2/18/2011 5:45:32 PM, OreEle wrote:

I had an idea of a way to run it collectively. For instance say there were 5 teams with 5 captains. There would be a team PM and captain PM, so the captains discussed their teams input and made collective decisions. I even formatted a way to assign topics and judges. As I said, people didn't seem interested though. This could be separate from the thing Juggle is hosting or whatever (which will allegedly have a cash prize). I would volunteer to help get the team thing going; I think some other people including Freeman might be interested too.

I would totally do this, I just don't think we could get 5 teams. Maybe 2 or 3 would work better.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:55:45 PM
At 2/18/2011 5:54:58 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
I would totally do this, I just don't think we could get 5 teams. Maybe 2 or 3 would work better.

Sure - we'd take what we can get.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 6:13:54 PM
If the thing done by Juggle that you are talking about is the IDC (Intersite Debate Competition), then that is not being done by Juggle. I'm having one heck of a time keeping up communication with that and I don't know if there will be a cash prize (I've asked them about doing something small, like $50 or $100, since they were originally willing to do $1,000 for the member of the year), heck, I'm at the point that I might put some of my tax returns up as a prize, just to help out the IDC.

But I think that team debates would be easy in the forums, and it would be good to get use to that format, since some of the other sites do their debates in a forum setting, rather then the nice Debating program that we have.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 2:57:48 AM

I think it would be great. I'd rather have the ability to have team accounts of some sort first though.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 10:29:06 AM
At 2/19/2011 2:57:48 AM, Puck wrote:

I think it would be great. I'd rather have the ability to have team accounts of some sort first though.

1. Why?

2. Juggle is A LOT better than Phil, but I won't hold my breath. That seems like a lot of unnecessary work for them :|
President of DDO