Total Posts:54|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Lack of Voting

Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 6:29:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So this is something that has been brought up before, but since it is still an issue, I'd like to bring it up again.

Going over the last 10 debates that have ended, 7 of them have 1 vote or less. In fact, most of all the voting that took place is thanks to Cliff.Stamp and M93, if we take their votes out, then 7 out of the last 10 debates have no votes at all and only 1 had more than 1 vote.

I personally feel that the debating on this site is starting to slip and we are turning into nothing more then another political forum.

What can we do to bring the debating side of DEBATE.org back into the picture?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 6:43:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/21/2011 6:29:43 PM, OreEle wrote:
So this is something that has been brought up before, but since it is still an issue, I'd like to bring it up again.

Going over the last 10 debates that have ended, 7 of them have 1 vote or less. In fact, most of all the voting that took place is thanks to Cliff.Stamp and M93, if we take their votes out, then 7 out of the last 10 debates have no votes at all and only 1 had more than 1 vote.

I personally feel that the debating on this site is starting to slip and we are turning into nothing more then another political forum.

What can we do to bring the debating side of DEBATE.org back into the picture?

You can't force people to vote on things. It would be nice if everyone saw this as a civic duty, but we won't get large scale voting on all debates unless it's mandatory.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 6:46:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/21/2011 6:43:31 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 2/21/2011 6:29:43 PM, OreEle wrote:
So this is something that has been brought up before, but since it is still an issue, I'd like to bring it up again.

Going over the last 10 debates that have ended, 7 of them have 1 vote or less. In fact, most of all the voting that took place is thanks to Cliff.Stamp and M93, if we take their votes out, then 7 out of the last 10 debates have no votes at all and only 1 had more than 1 vote.

I personally feel that the debating on this site is starting to slip and we are turning into nothing more then another political forum.

What can we do to bring the debating side of DEBATE.org back into the picture?

You can't force people to vote on things. It would be nice if everyone saw this as a civic duty, but we won't get large scale voting on all debates unless it's mandatory.

Obviously I don't think it should be forced, but how can it be encouraged?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 7:34:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/21/2011 6:46:03 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 2/21/2011 6:43:31 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 2/21/2011 6:29:43 PM, OreEle wrote:
So this is something that has been brought up before, but since it is still an issue, I'd like to bring it up again.

Going over the last 10 debates that have ended, 7 of them have 1 vote or less. In fact, most of all the voting that took place is thanks to Cliff.Stamp and M93, if we take their votes out, then 7 out of the last 10 debates have no votes at all and only 1 had more than 1 vote.

I personally feel that the debating on this site is starting to slip and we are turning into nothing more then another political forum.

What can we do to bring the debating side of DEBATE.org back into the picture?

You can't force people to vote on things. It would be nice if everyone saw this as a civic duty, but we won't get large scale voting on all debates unless it's mandatory.

Obviously I don't think it should be forced, but how can it be encouraged?

I will vote on debates with titles that catch my attention (either main page or news feed), but I'm not even on near as much and I don't read the longer debates.
I have been trying to vote at least once a week, and tend to leave an RFD anyway.

I believe if more people that read the debates comment, their friends might see the title, read it, vote, comment etc, and it brings in more attention.

Another way to encourage voting is to bring debates to people's attention.
If there is a faith based one then Mirza, or godsands might be interested, so leave them a link on their profile, that will bring attention to that person, people see a comment was made, check it out, see if their interested, etc etc.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 9:50:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/21/2011 6:29:43 PM, OreEle wrote:

What can we do to bring the debating side of DEBATE.org back into the picture?

Two things, enforce voting by simply making it mandatory to keep your account, or preventing you from taking debates, etc. if you do not vote. This is unlikely to work because you will just get people speed voting to make up the numbers, and an RFD is meaningless because you could just C&P stock/generic RFD's.

The other is rewards, when someone votes on your debates, return the favor and vote on theirs, comment, find an interesting debate they made and start a thread discussing some aspects of it that could use further discussion, challenge them to a similar debate both of you would enjoy, etc. .
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 10:14:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I support a vote count and some form of commendation for voting often and for writing good RFD's. A thumbs up/down on votes could be useful as a way of rewarding good voters and catching bad ones.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 10:18:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/21/2011 10:14:43 PM, Grape wrote:
I support a vote count and some form of commendation for voting often and for writing good RFD's. A thumbs up/down on votes could be useful as a way of rewarding good voters and catching bad ones.

Yes like tracking your statistics on how many times you vote as well as how many times you debate.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 1:10:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/21/2011 6:29:43 PM, OreEle wrote:
People don't vote.

I know. I hate advertising debates in sigs but it seems to be the only way to get someone to even look at it.

What can we do to bring the debating side of DEBATE.org back into the picture?

Honestly just call people out on it. I've looked like a b!tch for doing so in the past but fugg it. I hate when I challenge someone and they say they "don't have time" yet spend hours away bickering in the forums. Well clearly if you had 2 hours to do that then you had 2 hours to write a debate round lol. But yeah I don't b!tch at people anymore. theLwerd is dead ;)
President of DDO
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 7:29:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/21/2011 10:18:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

At 2/21/2011 10:14:43 PM, Grape wrote:
I support a vote count and some form of commendation for voting often and for writing good RFD's. A thumbs up/down on votes could be useful as a way of rewarding good voters and catching bad ones.

Yes like tracking your statistics on how many times you vote as well as how many times you debate.

If you combine the two of them you could have a voter leader board which would combine statistics on the number of votes and the number of positive ranked votes. Would people really be motivated to vote though based on that is an interesting question.
Suitecake
Posts: 24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 11:10:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
My main concern with the proposals made in this topic (particularly in the poll linked above) is the potential encouragement of abuse.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 11:14:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't like that you could thumbs down RFDs. People might do that just because they disagree and not because it's a bad RFD. For the same reason I dislike keeping tabs about who has the most "thumbs up" RFDs. This is a community; people will be able to notice who generally gives good RFDs. There's no need to make everything so cut-throat to the point where even voting is competitive lol geez. And oh yeah not like they'll be any bias in that! I hate the idea of the regular leader board let alone a voting one, but I do think good RFDs should be noted and that those who take the time to read and comment on a lot of debates should be noted. I'll admit that I mostly only read debates about topics that interest me, and I usually just come across them from noticing them on friends' profiles as opposed to looking in the "Recently Finished" section.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 11:24:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 11:14:52 AM, Danielle wrote:
I don't like that you could thumbs down RFDs. People might do that just because they disagree and not because it's a bad RFD. For the same reason I dislike keeping tabs about who has the most "thumbs up" RFDs. This is a community; people will be able to notice who generally gives good RFDs. There's no need to make everything so cut-throat to the point where even voting is competitive lol geez. And oh yeah not like they'll be any bias in that! I hate the idea of the regular leader board let alone a voting one, but I do think good RFDs should be noted and that those who take the time to read and comment on a lot of debates should be noted. I'll admit that I mostly only read debates about topics that interest me, and I usually just come across them from noticing them on friends' profiles as opposed to looking in the "Recently Finished" section.

That is why I split the "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" into two different questions. I personally, would like to see only thumbs up options, but I opened it up for how everyone else feels on it.

Thanks for taking the time.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 11:31:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think there should be a thumbs up only and not necessarily a leaderboard, but the number of thumbs up a judge gets should appear on their profile. I know some judges in the RL debate community really pride themselves for being considered a "fair judge." As long as people don't just thumbs up every single vote for them, this could incentivize people to judge more often, more as a public service and less just because they are interested in the debate. The latter is good as well, but since there are already like 200 debates on each of the "main issues" topics, people are unlikely to get a whole lot of judges out of interest anymore.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 11:35:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 11:31:29 AM, bluesteel wrote:
I think there should be a thumbs up only and not necessarily a leaderboard, but the number of thumbs up a judge gets should appear on their profile. I know some judges in the RL debate community really pride themselves for being considered a "fair judge." As long as people don't just thumbs up every single vote for them, this could incentivize people to judge more often, more as a public service and less just because they are interested in the debate.

Agreed.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 12:27:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Thanks to everyone that has voted so far. We already have 10 members that have voted (which is alot given how long this has been out). I would love to see this get up to 25 or more by the end of the week. So that the results can be given to the staff to show what the site wants.

http://polldaddy.com...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 3:08:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 12:27:28 PM, OreEle wrote:
Thanks to everyone that has voted so far. We already have 10 members that have voted (which is alot given how long this has been out). I would love to see this get up to 25 or more by the end of the week. So that the results can be given to the staff to show what the site wants.

http://polldaddy.com...

bump, trying to get some more votes.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:03:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I disagree with thumbs up or thumbs down with voting. It will just turn into votebombing for voting :p.

perhaps you can thumb up a thumb up decision :p
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:31:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Complicating it I'm telling you.

The key is not to alter this site and make people do something they don't want to, but rather tempt them to it.

I know in L has linked me to animal rights debates, because she knows that's something that would interest me.
likewise I tend to link friends to Brian's debates (even one's off of this site, but most often through facebook) because their interesting, funny, and are thought provoking to the point were my little group can discuss and debate it.

The key is for all of us to do out part.
If we see an interesting debate we tend to click on it.
But what if you don't see it at first and it fades away?
Well I would say the best way to maximize votes would be to link interested people to debate enjoy. Comment on debates often, and do other stuff that get it going in the news feed.
We need to advertise debates we make, contend, and find interesting more often.

We don't need to kick people off the site (unless they break the ToS)
We don't need more features.
We just simply need to take initiative ourselves.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:20:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Before the whole "3 debate" rule I voted on alot of debates. Once I finish my third debate I will contribute to the voting populous. I Strongly agreed with all things proposed in OreEle's poll.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:22:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 5:20:12 PM, TUF wrote:
Before the whole "3 debate" rule I votebombed alot of debates.

fixed
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:24:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 5:22:46 PM, askbob wrote:
At 2/22/2011 5:20:12 PM, TUF wrote:
Before the whole "3 debate" rule I votebombed alot of debates.

fixed

oh yeah? Show me a debate I votebombed please.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:25:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 5:24:00 PM, TUF wrote:
At 2/22/2011 5:22:46 PM, askbob wrote:
At 2/22/2011 5:20:12 PM, TUF wrote:
Before the whole "3 debate" rule I votebombed alot of debates.

fixed

oh yeah? Show me a debate I votebombed please.

all of your previous accounts votes have been deleted thankfully
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:26:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 5:25:05 PM, askbob wrote:
At 2/22/2011 5:24:00 PM, TUF wrote:
At 2/22/2011 5:22:46 PM, askbob wrote:
At 2/22/2011 5:20:12 PM, TUF wrote:
Before the whole "3 debate" rule I votebombed alot of debates.

fixed

oh yeah? Show me a debate I votebombed please.

all of your previous accounts votes have been deleted thankfully

Lol yeah, by me. The only times I've ever vote bombed, is against people that have votebombed me. And before I left I removed all votes. When I was part of the CWO, I was only vote bombed for, I never contributed to the votebombing. Nice try though.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:27:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 5:26:57 PM, TUF wrote:
When I was part of the CWO,

stopped reading here
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:29:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 5:27:46 PM, askbob wrote:
stopped posting here

Sweet.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:31:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 5:29:44 PM, TUF wrote:
At 2/22/2011 5:27:46 PM, askbob wrote:
stopped posting here

Sweet.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 6:33:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 6:28:12 PM, Puck wrote:
If the mods wish to confirm my identity, I'd be more inclined to vote. :P

i pm'd them and they did it for me pretty much straight away...
signature