Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Request to relax the profanity restrictions

Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 9:36:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just a little.

I feel like I should be able to say "@$$". Its about on the same level as calling someone a "jerk", and there's the idiom "don't be an @$$" in english.

And what prompted this was not my desire to call someone else names (though I do do that), but I had written that I can be an @$$ sometimes, and was upset that I could not.

I agree with keeping @$$hole banned tho. Just not @$$.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 1:06:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Abolish all profanity restrictions.

What is the point in them?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 1:09:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Sieben needs to stop being such a reformist. Don't relax, abolish!
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 1:16:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 1:11:35 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Chat filter should be optional. There should be a toggle on/off button.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 2:26:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 1:11:35 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Chat filter should be optional. There should be a toggle on/off button.

This.

It's not like there's any young children on this site to get offended by profanity and if people don't like a certain word such as "c*nt"(I know I don't like that word) then they wouldn't have to see it since they could just filter it.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 2:29:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 2:26:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/1/2011 1:11:35 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Chat filter should be optional. There should be a toggle on/off button.

This.

It's not like there's any young children on this site to get offended by profanity and if people don't like a certain word such as "c*nt"(I know I don't like that word) then they wouldn't have to see it since they could just filter it.

This site is mostly young children, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
jmar8542
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 2:32:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 2:29:39 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/1/2011 2:26:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/1/2011 1:11:35 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Chat filter should be optional. There should be a toggle on/off button.

This.

It's not like there's any young children on this site to get offended by profanity and if people don't like a certain word such as "c*nt"(I know I don't like that word) then they wouldn't have to see it since they could just filter it.

This site is mostly young children, lol.

Seems like it sometimes lol. Anyway, I agree with Reasoning; this site isn't meant for young children, and whatever profanity one reads here, it is solely the responsibility of the visiting user.
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 2:49:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 2:29:39 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/1/2011 2:26:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/1/2011 1:11:35 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Chat filter should be optional. There should be a toggle on/off button.

This.

It's not like there's any young children on this site to get offended by profanity and if people don't like a certain word such as "c*nt"(I know I don't like that word) then they wouldn't have to see it since they could just filter it.

This site is mostly young children, lol.

I was mostly talking young children as in like 12 and under, lol.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:14:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hasn't anyone heard President Obama's call for civility? We have some very immature people on the site who have obvious problems maintaining a minimum level of civility. The goal is keep some sort of lid on the outrageous rants. The ban encourages self-discipline.

Excessive profanity dilutes the currency. If you use up every curse you know when someone disagrees with your bizarre conspiracy theory, what are you going to do when a shelf collapses with your finger in between? You will have nothing left but, "Boy, that smarts." It would be sad.

Chinese has no swear words at all. Somehow they survive.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:16:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/4/2011 10:14:10 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Chinese has no swear words at all. Somehow they survive.

See -- there's the problem. No one cussed out Mao and his ego grew too large! And then BAM! Communism. Tsk-tsk.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:19:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/4/2011 10:14:10 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Chinese has no swear words at all.

list of Chinese swear words:
http://en.wikipedia.org...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:22:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
They should make all public profane content censored (protects their own site) and allow members 18+ to opt to see profanity (legality++ and userFreedom++).
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:32:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/4/2011 10:22:34 PM, wjmelements wrote:
They should make all public profane content censored (protects their own site) and allow members 18+ to opt to see profanity (legality++ and userFreedom++).

Does facebook have a ban on profanity?
jw since your acting like its illegal for minors to be near cussing on the internet....
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:53:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/4/2011 10:32:39 PM, lovelife wrote:
Does facebook have a ban on profanity?
jw since your acting like its illegal for minors to be near cussing on the internet....

No; you're right. There's no ban on profanity and no legal issue. The benefit to public censorship is a boost to the professionalism of the site.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:01:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/4/2011 10:53:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The benefit of public censorship is the boost to the professionalism of the site.

This.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 12:56:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/4/2011 10:19:53 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 3/4/2011 10:14:10 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Chinese has no swear words at all.

list of Chinese swear words:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

No shortage of insults, but the words in isolation are not profane. Compare to the seven words in English that can't be broadcast on the public airwaves. Ask any group of native speakers of Chinese. I've never found any who disagreed.

The Romans had over 1000 obscene words.

Being civil is a part of debate. Debate is supposed to focus on the arguments, not on the emotions felt. Swearing draws attention away from the facts and logic and towards the individual who is acting out. That's contrary to the spirit of debate.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 11:06:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 1:06:42 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Abolish all profanity restrictions.

What is the point in them?:

^This^

It's like bleeping out "bad" words on a television, as if no one knows what their saying. It's also like Japanese porn blurring the genitals, as if that's tantamount to not seeing sex.

Let us have our free speech and our motherf*cking profanity!!!!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 11:14:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/4/2011 11:01:25 PM, Grape wrote:
At 3/4/2011 10:53:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The benefit of public censorship is the boost to the prudishness of the site and the failure to recognize that this is the internet, not the office.

This.

this
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 11:23:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/4/2011 10:14:10 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Hasn't anyone heard President Obama's call for civility? We have some very immature people on the site who have obvious problems maintaining a minimum level of civility. The goal is keep some sort of lid on the outrageous rants. The ban encourages self-discipline.:

No, it does nothing to encourage self-discipline, otherwise people wouldn't find ways around the "profanity" filters. There is a pernicious misnomer that people who use "vulgar" language (anything in quotations is highlighted as subjective to personal dictates) can't hold an intelligent conversation. It's a specious argument designed to detract from someone else's argument, and a way to malign them for offending the delicate sensibilities of whiny, freedom-hating codgers.

Chinese has no swear words at all. Somehow they survive.:

What is considered as "swear" words are something designed entirely by humans. Take the word p*ssy, for instance. It used to innocently reference a feline, but in modern vernacular it's a reference to a vagina.

What's the real issue here, friend? Why is saying "vagina" a bad thing to begin with? I'll tell you why. It's because these are antiquated relics of repressive Victorian society, where sexuality was demonized.

Is that your idea of "civility," a game of pretend?"

If the Chinese, as you say, don't have swear words, it's because words are not inherently offensive to them. Why would they be?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 11:28:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
No shortage of insults, but the words in isolation are not profane. Compare to the seven words in English that can't be broadcast on the public airwaves. Ask any group of native speakers of Chinese. I've never found any who disagreed.:

Disagreed with what?

The Romans had over 1000 obscene words.:

And?

Being civil is a part of debate. Debate is supposed to focus on the arguments, not on the emotions felt. Swearing draws attention away from the facts and logic and towards the individual who is acting out. That's contrary to the spirit of debate.:

Being civil, to me, has nothing to do with "swear" words or "profanities." It has everything to do with treating people with a measure of professional respect and attempting to bridle passions.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
True2GaGa
Posts: 1,574
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 11:31:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 1:09:56 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Sieben needs to stop being such a reformist. Don't relax, abolish!

Yeaah. We didnt say relax slavery. ABOLISH,lol
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 12:53:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What is the purpose of using swear words on DDO? I claim that the main purpose is to draw attention to the person using them to show the person is uninhibited, cool, or really upset. Usually it's to show emotion, which in turn is supposed to impress the rest of us. A baby cries so that it's parents will pay attention to his needs. It's the same principle. The are no facts or logic contained in the words.

The same is true of insults and other expressions of emotion, even if the expressions do not contain profanity. It's true that if few profanities are banned, people will still find ways to draw attention to themselves and away from unemotional facts and logic.

I think the point of debate is to try to operate with facts and logic. That means avoiding insults, emotional outbursts, attention-getting rants, and whatever else interferes with logical discussion. Even though such things cannot be prevented, it is appropriate that a debate site try to discourage them. If a person is so unstable as to be unable to get by withoutsuch behavior and other forms of immaturity, then there are plenty of opportunities on the internet to rant, scream, and misbehave. They shouldn't be on a debate site, however.

One obvious effect of allowing bad behavior i that it discourages serious debate participants. It sends the message that this is a place for immature personalities to display their angst. If that's what is advertised by example, that's what we'll get.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 1:20:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/5/2011 1:06:53 PM, Sieben wrote:
Roy, people who put one toe out of line in terms of conduct almost always lose that point with the voters.

Actually, I don't see that, but it's true that people don't often lapse into profanity, insults, and rants during a debate. The idea that debates are supposed to be civil usually prevails. That's not the case with the forums, which seems to me the focus of this discussion. I think a debate site ought to try to promote civil discussion throughout.

Civil discussion is difficult is difficult because it requires focus on the issue. Profane rants are really easy.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 1:32:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I just think I should be able to say "@ss" if words like "moron" and "retarded" are allowed. Not necessarily to call other people "@ss" though. Like if I said "yeah and if Obama wants to be an @ss about health care..."

I think we can get more of what you're talking about with moderators actually monitoring the report function.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...