Jump to topic:

New Members Read This! (sticky?)

brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2008 9:34:18 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Hello all. Welcome to the site, please enjoy. I hope that you introduced yourself in the Welcome thread - it's always good to meet newbies.

I wanted to call your attention to a debate I had with the user Sweatingjojo awhile back that might help you get a feel for the decorum that most debaters generally observe. (Please note that this was a conversation and not an actual debate - there were no features such as private messaging or forums - so please do not vote, it is meant to be a tie. Why there are as many votes as there are is a long story.)

The debate is self-explanatory. Our goal was to try and establish a code of conduct/general rules for people to go by. My original idea was to have people "sign" in the comments section. Anyway, it's very basic stuff and will help you out, hopefully, by answering some questions that you might have.

Other members that have had debates along these lines should also post them here.

http://www.debate.org...

Peace

Britt
Don't I take care of them all?
joshandr30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2008 9:43:45 PM
If yall want a straight debate simply say no semantics please. You can learn about these as you go on. And for the first few debates try and stay away from the "hot" topics.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2008 9:57:14 PM
At 10/12/2008 9:43:45 PM, joshandr30 wrote:
If yall want a straight debate simply say no semantics please. You can learn about these as you go on. And for the first few debates try and stay away from the "hot" topics.

A debate in which you ignore the wording of the topic is not straight at all. If you're not being semantical in a debate with a poorly made title, than you are trying to decipher exactly what you're opponent meant, which can create chaos and confusion and misunderstandings, but most certainly not a "straight" debate.
joshandr30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2008 10:03:33 PM
Harlan, this is for "new" debaters. Mainly the ones that have never debated in their before. Some might think debating is something different then you. The key is to let them have a few debates to learn and grow, instead of beat the crap out of them with a bunch of words. They soon leave and never come back. This will not only improve the site it will equate to more and better debates. I can not count the number of fairly good debaters that left right after there first debate. And I can see why. A member here suggested make your opponent look like a moron, the layman voter will not notice. Sounds like a great way for new members to learn and grow. Looks good in the win ratio for some though. Win ratio's of straw.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2008 10:24:13 PM
We are actually in agreement on this, if you would wake up and realize it that would be quite nice. You are so intent on being contrary to me it has blinded you. If there's anything else, please message me about it.

Christ be with you,
Britt
joshandr30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2008 10:29:53 PM
Ok, if you wish to be civil. But I am entitled to my voice in this matter. If you would have explained it a little better then I could have remained silent. Shoot, what am I talking about, I can't remain silent. I would have agreed with you though.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2008 10:32:57 PM
Have you even looked at the debate I posted above? If you had, you would have known we were in agreement before you started posting.
joshandr30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2008 10:35:41 PM
k k k k. I said I would be civil.

If any new debaters have trouble even after they make their request known please just send me a message, I can help.

Oh yeah, Britt, thanks for the great platform.

<plays fiddle quielty in the background>
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 4:00:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Anyone here have nostalgia? *sigh*
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)