Jump to topic:

Debate Tournament Update #2 Brackets

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 1:23:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Here is how this will work. Depending on whether or not you win or lose your first debate, you will either end up in the 'winners' or 'losers' bracket. It's a very simple structure that Danielle helped showed me. It works nicely for the purposes of this tournament. And yes, these results are randomized. However, a few of you have indicated an interest in debating specific people. Those that have expressed such an interest have been placed together. Most of you, on the other hand, seem to show an interest in being paired up with a random partner. If two people have a strong interest in debating each other that is not reflected in this list, let me know so that I can change things.

With that out of the way, one more thing needs to be taken care of. You will need to find a debate topic with your partner. You can pick whatever you want -- insofar as the topic is mutually agreed upon. There's really no need to rush. Just try to have something planned within the next three days. After that, we'll start to set up the timelines for when round number one will get underway. If you're a late add, please let me know now so that I can add you.

As a piece of advice, try to go easy on the first round. Debates about free will, for example, can be very intricate and time consuming. Stick with what you know well for now.

=======
Round 1
=======

Brian v. Volkov
PcP v. Vi
Badger v. TUF
Freeman v. m93samman
Skeptic v. LF
Danielle v. Blackvoid
tvellalott v. Reasoning
mongoose v. usaf
feverish v. Hello-Orange
CiRrK v. Sieben
mongeese v. Roylatham
wjmelements v. Grape
C_N v. UnitedAndy
J.Kenyon v. Ann
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 2:04:07 AM
Cool, how are the debates being judged?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 8:00:10 AM
Danielle I've seen you doing a few debates and comments about NFL and CFB. Being a huge sports fan myself, this may be the best opportunity in the whole tournament to have a nice sports debate. I do NFL, NBA, and CFB. If anything in there sounds good let me know.

Of course, we can do regular topics too, like DP, nukes, juveniles (although you may be burnt out on that one), etc.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 9:11:02 AM
At 3/4/2011 1:23:34 AM, Freeman wrote:
Here is how this will work. Depending on whether or not you win or lose your first debate, you will either end up in the 'winners' or 'losers' bracket. It's a very simple structure that Danielle helped showed me. It works nicely for the purposes of this tournament. And yes, these results are randomized. However, a few of you have indicated an interest in debating specific people. Those that have expressed such an interest have been placed together. Most of you, on the other hand, seem to show an interest in being paired up with a random partner. If two people have a strong interest in debating each other that is not reflected in this list, let me know so that I can change things.

With that out of the way, one more thing needs to be taken care of. You will need to find a debate topic with your partner. You can pick whatever you want -- insofar as the topic is mutually agreed upon. There's really no need to rush. Just try to have something planned within the next three days. After that, we'll start to set up the timelines for when round number one will get underway. If you're a late add, please let me know now so that I can add you.

As a piece of advice, try to go easy on the first round. Debates about free will, for example, can be very intricate and time consuming. Stick with what you know well for now.

=======
Round 1
=======

PcP v. Vi

(^_^)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 9:44:30 AM
At 3/4/2011 6:42:18 AM, mongeese wrote:
Oh, dang, RoyLatham in Round 1?

I believe we disagree on the death penalty.

That's a good topic. It's one of the easiest topics for me to have a tabula rasa opinion on while reading.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 9:46:43 AM
At 3/4/2011 8:00:10 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Danielle I've seen you doing a few debates and comments about NFL and CFB. Being a huge sports fan myself, this may be the best opportunity in the whole tournament to have a nice sports debate. I do NFL, NBA, and CFB. If anything in there sounds good let me know.

Of course, we can do regular topics too, like DP, nukes, juveniles (although you may be burnt out on that one), etc.

Out of all the sports leagues, I follow the NFL the most and would be most interested in doing a debate about the NFL or NBA. However, my only concern is that other participants (judges) might not know enough about sports to have a valid opinion. However on the other hand, that just means that our arguments will have to do all the work :)

Although I think it would be easier for us to agree on a "regular" topic, I'm completely fine with a sports one. What did you have in mind?
President of DDO
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:03:01 AM
J.Kenyon v. Ann

Should be interesting
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:18:03 AM
At 3/4/2011 10:03:01 AM, m93samman wrote:
J.Kenyon v. Ann

Should be interesting

Yeah... Vi says she calls dibs on debating nihilism with ann though. Lol nihilism is Vi's BIGGEST philosophical pet peeve. So I think Kenyon should let her have it ;) My biggest philosophical pet peeve is compatibilism... in case anybody was wondering :P
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:33:38 AM
At 3/4/2011 10:26:19 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
How exactly are the brackets going to work? Is this going to be a round-robin sort of thing?

Freeman explained it. There are going to be 2 brackets established after the first round: a winners bracket and a losers (one-loss) bracket. Depending on what bracket you're in, you can only debate another person from that bracket. Once you have incurred 2 losses, you're out of the tournament. So after R2 we will see some eliminations.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:35:52 AM
At the end there will be an undefeated winner who has won the winners bracket. There will be about 4 people in the losers bracket left. The winner of the winners bracket gets an automatic BYE into the finals (so they will be undefeated), and they will face the winner of the losers bracket - the person who has incurred 1 loss but defeated everybody else/didn't lose twice.
President of DDO
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:40:08 AM
At 3/4/2011 10:33:38 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 3/4/2011 10:26:19 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
How exactly are the brackets going to work? Is this going to be a round-robin sort of thing?

Freeman explained it. There are going to be 2 brackets established after the first round: a winners bracket and a losers (one-loss) bracket. Depending on what bracket you're in, you can only debate another person from that bracket. Once you have incurred 2 losses, you're out of the tournament. So after R2 we will see some eliminations.

But there's 14 match ups...so that means 14 people Round 2 of the winner's bracket. After that, there will be 7. Does somebody get a third round bye, or what?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:44:46 AM
At 3/4/2011 10:40:08 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
After that, there will be 7. Does somebody get a third round bye, or what?

Yeah, there will be BYES. That was inevitable with any bracket system just because it's hard to get a specific exact number of people to join that's a perfect multiple of 4 or whatever. You won't get a BYE twice though; likely most people will have 1.
President of DDO
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:46:15 AM
At 3/4/2011 10:44:46 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 3/4/2011 10:40:08 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
After that, there will be 7. Does somebody get a third round bye, or what?

Yeah, there will be BYES. That was inevitable with any bracket system just because it's hard to get a specific exact number of people to join that's a perfect multiple of 4 or whatever. You won't get a BYE twice though; likely most people will have 1.

Do you have a chart or a graph of the brackets? Something like that?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:55:54 AM
At 3/4/2011 10:46:15 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:

What do you mean? There are only two brackets.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:59:21 AM
It's actually going to come down to 1 undefeated and 5 people with 1 lose.

Undefeated......1 Lose.......Eliminated

And an undefeated will have a bye in round 3, and a 1 lose will have a bye in round 5.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:00:16 AM
At 3/4/2011 10:55:54 AM, Danielle wrote:

I mean something like this http://www.samplewords.com... that shows where the byes come in.

I kinda want to set up a March Madness style bracketology competition :)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:02:45 AM
This is the list. Suppose everybody on the left-hand side wins.

Brian v. Volkov
PcP v. Vi
Badger v. TUF
Freeman v. m93samman
Skeptic v. LF
Danielle v. Blackvoid
tvellalott v. Reasoning
mongoose v. usaf
feverish v. Hello-Orange
CiRrK v. Sieben
mongeese v. Roylatham
wjmelements v. Grape
C_N v. UnitedAndy
J.Kenyon v. Ann

In R2, the people on the left would be in the winners bracket and debate each other, and the people on the right would be in the losers bracket and debate each other. After R2, either 3 or 4 people will necessarily have incurred 2 losses and be eliminated.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:05:25 AM
At 3/4/2011 10:59:21 AM, OreEle wrote:

And an undefeated will have a bye in round 3, and a 1 lose will have a bye in round 5.

Yeah, which means they will get a 2-3 round BYE at the end to the final. However that turns out to be fair, because they will go into the final undefeated and the other will have gone in with 1 loss. So even if the winners bracket person loses so they both lose 1 debate in the tourney, it's fair because their perk for winning the winners bracket was the 2 BYEs. Johnicle's ran his massive tourney like this. I won the winners bracket, and then I waited 2 rounds to see who would win the losers bracket and I debated Logical-Master. Even if I would have lost so that we both lost 1, I would have considered it a fair trade. There's definitely incentive to win the winners bracket, even if you wind up losing 1 at the end in the final.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:05:40 AM
At 3/4/2011 11:00:16 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 3/4/2011 10:55:54 AM, Danielle wrote:

I mean something like this http://www.samplewords.com... that shows where the byes come in.

I kinda want to set up a March Madness style bracketology competition :)

Do you actually want something like that? I mean, if it is written down, then the bye will be practically predetermined. Or, when you get to a bye round (where you have 7 people so 1 needs to sit out) you could simple do whoever has the highest % of points gets the bye (so if the person has won all of their debates by a wide margin, but lost 1 debate by only 2 points, they would likely be the one to get the bye).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:09:18 AM
At 3/4/2011 11:05:25 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 3/4/2011 10:59:21 AM, OreEle wrote:

Yeah, which means they will get a 2-3 round BYE at the end to the final. However that turns out to be fair, because they will go into the final undefeated and the other will have gone in with 1 loss. So even if the winners bracket person loses so they both lose 1 debate in the tourney, it's fair because their perk for winning the winners bracket was the 2 BYEs. Johnicle's ran his massive tourney like this. I won the winners bracket, and then I waited 2 rounds to see who would win the losers bracket and I debated Logical-Master. Even if I would have lost so that we both lost 1, I would have considered it a fair trade. There's definitely incentive to win the winners bracket, even if you wind up losing 1 at the end in the final.

Or you have 4 of the 5 losers (I personally dislike that terminology, but I'll use it) debate each other, then the remaining 1 debate the undefeated. There will be two possible outcomes.

of the two matches of the losers, there will be 2 people moving on, and 2 people eliminated, but if the undefeated wins, we get down to 1 undefeated and 2 losers left (and so the undefeated only needs 1 bye), or if the undefeated falls, then we have 0 undefeated and 4 losers (and that means that no one needs a bye).

lol, I've been toying with different combinations of double elimination for the IDC for about 2 weeks now.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:20:00 AM
At 3/4/2011 11:09:18 AM, OreEle wrote:
Or you have 4 of the 5 losers (I personally dislike that terminology, but I'll use it) debate each other, then the remaining 1 debate the undefeated.

Yeah, that's what I said. They fight it out until there is 1 person from that bracket to debate the undefeated winner in the finals. And yes I don't like the term "loser's bracket" either lol it's just convenient.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:27:39 AM
At 3/4/2011 11:20:00 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 3/4/2011 11:09:18 AM, OreEle wrote:
Or you have 4 of the 5 losers (I personally dislike that terminology, but I'll use it) debate each other, then the remaining 1 debate the undefeated.

Yeah, that's what I said. They fight it out until there is 1 person from that bracket to debate the undefeated winner in the finals. And yes I don't like the term "loser's bracket" either lol it's just convenient.

oh, I was confused, since you said that they would get a 2-3 round bye at the end, and the way I suggested, they would, at most, get only 1 round bye.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:38:29 AM
At 3/4/2011 9:11:02 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

=======
Round 1
=======

PcP v. Vi

(^_^)

I'm super excited :)
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:39:57 AM
At 3/4/2011 10:18:03 AM, Danielle wrote:
J.Kenyon v. Ann

Should be interesting

Yeah... Vi says she calls dibs on debating nihilism with ann though. Lol nihilism is Vi's BIGGEST philosophical pet peeve. So I think Kenyon should let her have it ;) My biggest philosophical pet peeve is compatibilism... in case anybody was wondering :P

Now I know why Vi wanted me to join... ;)
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:43:27 AM
At 3/4/2011 9:46:43 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 3/4/2011 8:00:10 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

Out of all the sports leagues, I follow the NFL the most and would be most interested in doing a debate about the NFL or NBA. However, my only concern is that other participants (judges) might not know enough about sports to have a valid opinion. However on the other hand, that just means that our arguments will have to do all the work :)

Although I think it would be easier for us to agree on a "regular" topic, I'm completely fine with a sports one. What did you have in mind?

I'm surprised with myself that I didnt think about confusing the judge. In that case we could save the sports for another time. What are some regular topics you would be interested in? My tops would be Nuke possession, DP, Drug Leglization (pro or con), juves, and which alternate energy is the most viable. Of course there are plenty of others. If you come up with a few I'm sure I'd be fine with at least one of them.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:45:28 AM
At 3/4/2011 11:39:57 AM, annhasle wrote:
J.Kenyon v. Ann

Should be interesting

Haha :) I have multiple reasons, but yes, that's one of them! Also, you're a good addition to this tournament.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:51:28 AM
At 3/4/2011 11:45:28 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 3/4/2011 11:39:57 AM, annhasle wrote:
J.Kenyon v. Ann

Should be interesting

Haha :) I have multiple reasons, but yes, that's one of them! Also, you're a good addition to this tournament.

Lol, now you're just trying to cover up your tracks by flattering me!

It worked. ;D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.