Crackdown on Spam Necessary

Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:13:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

Seriously we've all seen enough of this. What happens when someone serious about debating comes and this is the first thing they see on the front page? This site needs the moderators to just delete garbage and ban people who continuously produce it. There's a line between occasional joke debates and mindless spam and it's been repeatedly crossed. A site that attracts members for its intellectual community does not need this.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:16:52 PM
At 3/5/2011 3:13:16 PM, Grape wrote:

Seriously we've all seen enough of this. What happens when someone serious about debating comes and this is the first thing they see on the front page? This site needs the moderators to just delete garbage and ban people who continuously produce it. There's a line between occasional joke debates and mindless spam and it's been repeatedly crossed. A site that attracts members for its intellectual community does not need this.

I agree with this very much. I had started a thread like this and abandoned it, but i was looking for us to have the ability to banish people from the site. A community based effort to get rid of those who detract from our primary purpose as you pretty much outline. Not dissenting opinion or even poorly thought out or articulated content, just the obvious spam that takes away from the site's overall quality.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:20:40 PM
Maybe mods should have the power to promote 3 debates to the front page as "debate of the month" or something. That way we can promote what we want new people to see.
Things that are so interesting:

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:22:46 PM
At 3/5/2011 3:20:40 PM, Sieben wrote:
Maybe mods should have the power to promote 3 debates to the front page as "debate of the month" or something. That way we can promote what we want new people to see.

Not a bad idea at all actually, but it still won't kill the problem in the forums.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:25:17 PM
I've noticed that DDO has had a lot of increased traffic lately. Usually there are 0-3 debates tops in the challenge period at any given time, but lately there have been about 8-10 every time I've checked. At the same time, the quality of debates is meh. I think people visit the site but then get intimidated by the forum interaction. The increased traffic has been both good and bad. On one hand it brings some newness, but on the other it just means an influx of trolls and other stupidity. How is Juggle bringing all these new people over anyway? Damn, Phil was so friggin incompetent.
President of DDO
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:33:56 PM

lhjdjsjd
"Modern atheism is Richard Dawkins."- thegodhand

"Thegodhand likes to misquote people"- Benjamin Franklin
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:34:24 PM

Epic idea! But only admins or staff like Cody or Panda, not mods.

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:34:32 PM
I think it's up to the older members to start instigating debates to combat the spam and less-than-helpful debates. This week I have set up 4. Is that a good thing? Well, I'll be busy but it's done in the hopes that it will add some new energy to the site. It's easy to remain in the forums and forget the formal debates which actually draw people to the site. If we all try to keep posting new, serious debates with high standards -- maybe we'll teach the n00bs how to set up proper debates. <shrugs> I'm wary of users being able to delete debates or accounts themselves. But Juggle is a competent owner of the site and the more we stay in contact with them and push for new add-ons (such as the RFDs), the better it will become right? :)
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:36:34 PM

There's a line between occasional joke debates and mindless spam and it's been repeatedly crossed.

I tried to do the former and was stuck with the latter.

LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:38:07 PM
Who would actually care enough and care negatively to start a thread like this? Get along with your life. There are enough "actual" (by which I mean typical and eventually boring) debates here for you. I, and I'm sure others, am often more entertained by debates like this that aren't just repetitive rehashes of the same old arguments on common controversial topics that have been going on here all the time for years.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:40:44 PM
At 3/5/2011 3:38:07 PM, LeafRod wrote:
Who would actually care enough and care negatively to start a thread like this? Get along with your life.

Those who use this site as a platform for intellectual discourse and learning would hardly respect debates which contribute nothing of the sort.
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:46:18 PM
At 3/5/2011 3:34:32 PM, annhasle wrote:
I think it's up to the older members to start instigating debates to combat the spam and less-than-helpful debates. This week I have set up 4. Is that a good thing? Well, I'll be busy but it's done in the hopes that it will add some new energy to the site. It's easy to remain in the forums and forget the formal debates which actually draw people to the site. If we all try to keep posting new, serious debates with high standards -- maybe we'll teach the n00bs how to set up proper debates. <shrugs> I'm wary of users being able to delete debates or accounts themselves. But Juggle is a competent owner of the site and the more we stay in contact with them and push for new add-ons (such as the RFDs), the better it will become right? :)

I can help with that... mah girlfriend.

I sent you that debate, if you accept that means more spam fighting!

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:50:14 PM
At 3/5/2011 3:46:18 PM, thegodhand wrote:

I am not your girlfriend. -___-

I will accept your challenge, no worries there. But I hope you will act respectfully throughout and use proper debate etiquette so we can show others that even debates based on gaming can be intellectually stimulating. :)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:58:16 PM
At 3/5/2011 3:25:17 PM, Danielle wrote:
I've noticed that DDO has had a lot of increased traffic lately. Usually there are 0-3 debates tops in the challenge period at any given time, but lately there have been about 8-10 every time I've checked. At the same time, the quality of debates is meh. I think people visit the site but then get intimidated by the forum interaction. The increased traffic has been both good and bad. On one hand it brings some newness, but on the other it just means an influx of trolls and other stupidity. How is Juggle bringing all these new people over anyway? Damn, Phil was so friggin incompetent.

Debate.org is on the front page of Juggle. You have to scroll down a bit but it is there.
Open borders debate:
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:59:42 PM
At 3/5/2011 3:40:44 PM, annhasle wrote:
Who would actually care enough and care negatively to start a thread like this? Get along with your life.

Those who use this site as a platform for intellectual discourse and learning would hardly respect debates which contribute nothing of the sort.

There's a large difference between hardly "respecting" a debate and actually being lame enough to seek its removal.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 4:01:56 PM
At 3/5/2011 3:59:42 PM, LeafRod wrote:
At 3/5/2011 3:40:44 PM, annhasle wrote:

There's a large difference between hardly "respecting" a debate and actually being lame enough to seek its removal.

There is nothing lame about wanting to keep standards high within an intellectual community. If I had just saw the site for the first time today and saw on the front page, "This debate adds nothing to the community" -- I would not be tempted to join. At all.
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 4:04:29 PM
At 3/5/2011 3:50:14 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/5/2011 3:46:18 PM, thegodhand wrote:

I am your girlfriend i wanna fvck you

YAY!!!!!!!

I will accept your challenge, no worries there. But I hope you will act respectfully throughout and use proper debate etiquette so we can show others that even debates based on gaming can be intellectually stimulating. :)

I'll do my best. After seeing this, I realized that if I accept 1/2 debates at a time each one can be better, so...

Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 4:24:48 PM
Who would actually care enough and care negatively to start a thread like this? Get along with your life. There are enough "actual" (by which I mean typical and eventually boring) debates here for you. I, and I'm sure others, am often more entertained by debates like this that aren't just repetitive rehashes of the same old arguments on common controversial topics that have been going on here all the time for years.

So you would have no problem if you went on CNN.com and had to scroll through pages of random characters to find the news, for instance? I am not talking about lighthearted debates, I am talking about literal gibberish.

Did you read the link I posted? Con responded with random characters. That needs to be deleted or at least moved to where people don't have to see it. Most sites based on user content regulate spam, you know.
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 4:28:43 PM
At 3/5/2011 4:24:48 PM, Grape wrote:

So you would have no problem if you went on CNN.com and had to scroll through pages of random characters to find the news, for instance? I am not talking about lighthearted debates, I am talking about literal gibberish.

Did you read the link I posted? Con responded with random characters. That needs to be deleted or at least moved to where people don't have to see it. Most sites based on user content regulate spam, you know.

Dont delete

Thats a victory

I need those for my green star

thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 9:37:35 PM
At 3/5/2011 3:22:46 PM, innomen wrote:

Not a bad idea at all actually, but it still won't kill the problem in the forums.

Topic of the month.

Fixed.

thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 11:17:37 PM

Privacy violations.

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 10:37:12 AM
It's perfectly fair to have a site restricted to debate, and to keep out morons who believe that trashing things is an accomplishment. It's only people unable to compete under the rules who don't want others to do so.

Because people create ghost accounts, IP blocking has to the starting point for chronic offenders. However, a telephone verification scheme allows offenders to be tracked down and taken to court. Another way is to require a $1 fee charged to a credit card to join the site. That allows the offender to be tracked back through whoever provided the card. A few well-publicized lawsuits would discourage vandals.
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 10:38:24 AM
At 3/6/2011 10:37:12 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
It's perfectly fair to have a site restricted to debate, and to keep out morons who believe that trashing things is an accomplishment. It's only people unable to compete under the rules who don't want others to do so.

Because people create ghost accounts, IP blocking has to the starting point for chronic offenders. However, a telephone verification scheme allows offenders to be tracked down and taken to court. Another way is to require a $1 fee charged to a credit card to join the site. That allows the offender to be tracked back through whoever provided the card. A few well-publicized lawsuits would discourage vandals.

We don't all have credit cards ya know.

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 10:53:57 AM
LeafRod wtf are you doing on this site again?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 10:54:36 AM
At 3/6/2011 10:38:24 AM, thegodhand wrote:

that would be the point.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 11:01:42 AM
At 3/6/2011 10:54:36 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/6/2011 10:38:24 AM, thegodhand wrote:

that would be the point.

IN JUGGLE.COM, POINT WOULD BE YOU.

LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 4:37:59 PM
At 3/5/2011 4:24:48 PM, Grape wrote:

Too bad that's not really relevant at all.

Yeah, I thought that it was attempt to show that the debate adds nothing to the community, though I see now that the person who did that is clearly a spammer anyway. I'm speaking more against the people who take themselves and an internet so highly that they get in fits about preserving true intellectualism and whatever other junk they were talking about.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 4:39:11 PM

Court? Come on. The only time that might be necessary is if it gets to the extent of, ironically, askbob, and it seemed that might have happened anyway.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 4:39:25 PM
At 3/6/2011 10:53:57 AM, askbob wrote:
LeafRod wtf are you doing on this site again?

I honestly don't remember talking to you ever.