Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

I'm Back

twsurber
Posts: 505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 8:06:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
After 4 tournaments in the last 5 weeks I can finally take a breath. On a good note, my Policy team and my Declamation speaker qualified for the NCFL tournament in Washington D.C. yay!
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 10:34:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Congrats!
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
twsurber
Posts: 505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 12:12:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Best of luck. I had to judge a few LD rounds, the NEG seemed to have an easier go of it. Most of the kids argued a value of justice. A lot of the AFFs went with Pragmatism and Necessity. A couple of times it came down to a semantical battle of "justice" vs "justified"
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 11:01:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/10/2011 12:12:33 PM, twsurber wrote:
Best of luck. I had to judge a few LD rounds, the NEG seemed to have an easier go of it. Most of the kids argued a value of justice. A lot of the AFFs went with Pragmatism and Necessity. A couple of times it came down to a semantical battle of "justice" vs "justified"

Sweet I made it to nat cats too in both LD, and Humerous Interp. Maybe ill see ya there.

I argue semantics on the word justified alot too... It's almost mandated by the resolution to value it, and give proper definition to provide a base structure.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 11:04:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/10/2011 8:06:42 AM, twsurber wrote:
After 4 tournaments in the last 5 weeks I can finally take a breath. On a good note, my Policy team and my Declamation speaker qualified for the NCFL tournament in Washington D.C. yay!

Our league hands out free NCFL qualifying spots to any team that will actually go. No one here takes that tournament seriously.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 2:30:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/10/2011 11:04:39 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 3/10/2011 8:06:42 AM, twsurber wrote:
After 4 tournaments in the last 5 weeks I can finally take a breath. On a good note, my Policy team and my Declamation speaker qualified for the NCFL tournament in Washington D.C. yay!

Our league hands out free NCFL qualifying spots to any team that will actually go. No one here takes that tournament seriously.

I think nobody in general takes it seriously. NCFL qualifiers in utah are always so small.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 2:14:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/15/2011 2:11:21 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I wish our high school had a debate team. Eh, not that I would've taken it seriously.

What's high school debate? :P

I have seriously never heard of that in Canadian highschools. It must be an American thing.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 2:16:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/15/2011 2:14:21 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/15/2011 2:11:21 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I wish our high school had a debate team. Eh, not that I would've taken it seriously.

What's high school debate? :P

I have seriously never heard of that in Canadian highschools. It must be an American thing.

Seriously? I actually saw a national Canadian debate tournament on Youtube. I only watched part of it, because the US national debate tournament contestants were so much better.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 2:17:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/15/2011 2:14:21 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/15/2011 2:11:21 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I wish our high school had a debate team. Eh, not that I would've taken it seriously.

What's high school debate? :P

I have seriously never heard of that in Canadian highschools. It must be an American thing.

They don't have them there? Jeez, that sucks. Debate is a really amazing class.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 2:19:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/15/2011 2:17:11 PM, TUF wrote:

They don't have them there? Jeez, that sucks. Debate is a really amazing class.

Not to my knowledge. I didn't even know such things existed until I joined this site.
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 2:21:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/15/2011 2:19:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/15/2011 2:17:11 PM, TUF wrote:

They don't have them there? Jeez, that sucks. Debate is a really amazing class.

Not to my knowledge. I didn't even know such things existed until I joined this site.

That's depressing... Lol. Or maybe you were just one of those kids who actually HAD a life. So I guess, it's not too sad. haha
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 5:05:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/15/2011 2:21:53 PM, TUF wrote:
At 3/15/2011 2:19:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/15/2011 2:17:11 PM, TUF wrote:

They don't have them there? Jeez, that sucks. Debate is a really amazing class.

Not to my knowledge. I didn't even know such things existed until I joined this site.

That's depressing... Lol. Or maybe you were just one of those kids who actually HAD a life. So I guess, it's not too sad. haha

What's a "life"?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 5:13:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/15/2011 5:05:36 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
What's a "life"?

I lolled. +1
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227