Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Suggestion

nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 4:54:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I think it would be a good idea if there was a search function for the forums.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 4:56:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/12/2011 4:54:19 PM, nonentity wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I think it would be a good idea if there was a search function for the forums.

Yeah, it has been mentioned, and it would be great.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 4:59:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
use the google term "Site:debate.org"

Edit function is far more important.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 5:08:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/12/2011 4:59:53 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
use the google term "Site:debate.org"


I tried "Site:debate.org begger" and that thread didn't come up... I'm computer illiterate so I probably did something wrong there.

Edit function is far more important.

I don't think so... otherwise posts would go "poof" and people would reneg on things they've said, or try to backpedal.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 5:13:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think if we do edit posts it should show why it was changed, and let people see the original post. That way you can't have people say "I never said that" or posts just disappearing for no reason.

The find thread option would be amazing. And no the google thing, really does not work.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 5:41:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/12/2011 5:08:02 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 3/12/2011 4:59:53 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
use the google term "Site:debate.org"


I tried "Site:debate.org begger" and that thread didn't come up... I'm computer illiterate so I probably did something wrong there.
Is this the thread you want?
http://www.debate.org...
If not, tell me a little more about the thread you want :P.

And no the google thing, really does not work.
I use it all the time.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 11:35:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was actually not looking for that thread; I just used it as an example because it was the first one I could think of that had to work (because she spelled 'beggars' wrong, it should have come up).

I guess for now, CTRL+F will have to do but it's so tedious... it would be nice if we could do an advanced search of thread title/topic keywords, threads/posts by users, and keywords within the thread.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 5:41:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/12/2011 11:35:36 PM, nonentity wrote:
I was actually not looking for that thread; I just used it as an example because it was the first one I could think of that had to work (because she spelled 'beggars' wrong, it should have come up).
I did when I searched.

You didn't put the whole thing in quotes on google did you? That would rape it to death.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 5:43:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/13/2011 5:41:24 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 3/12/2011 11:35:36 PM, nonentity wrote:
I was actually not looking for that thread; I just used it as an example because it was the first one I could think of that had to work (because she spelled 'beggars' wrong, it should have come up).
I did when I searched.

You didn't put the whole thing in quotes on google did you? That would rape it to death.

Thats... an odd turn of phrase.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 8:25:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Also, there should be separate categories for anarchy:
anarcho-capitialist
anarcho-communism
anarcho-collectivism

Freedo, Lwerd, and J.Kenyon are all listed as anarchist yet clearly have different political beliefs.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 9:50:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I actually think this particular Forum is better off without an Edit function.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 2:41:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/13/2011 9:50:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I actually think this particular Forum is better off without an Edit function.

Yah. For example, Sieben made an offhand comment about his friends making fun of black people and laughing about it because "stereotypes are largely true", and when I called him out on it and tried to debate him on his own statement he tried to reneg by saying he never said that. Then I copied and pasted the exact statement he denied making.

So yeah. No to an edit function. People should be more conscious of the things they say on here.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 2:43:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
We already have one. It searches the whole site but almost always brings up forum pages.

http://www.debate.org...

It has no advanced search feature however.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 2:45:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 2:43:34 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
We already have one. It searches the whole site but almost always brings up forum pages.

http://www.debate.org...

It has no advanced search feature however.

Ah okay, thanks. I'll try that when I get home.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 7:18:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 2:41:11 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 3/13/2011 9:50:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I actually think this particular Forum is better off without an Edit function.

Yah. For example, Sieben made an offhand comment about his friends making fun of black people and laughing about it because "stereotypes are largely true", and when I called him out on it and tried to debate him on his own statement he tried to reneg by saying he never said that. Then I copied and pasted the exact statement he denied making.
Someone already posted a solution to that unusual problem.

Such occurrences are rare on forums.

Typos and wording that doesn't get across your point and annoying needs to double post happens every day without an edit function.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 9:25:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 7:18:32 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Someone already posted a solution to that unusual problem.


What was that?

Such occurrences are rare on forums.


I don't think so but I guess we'd find out...

Typos and wording that doesn't get across your point and annoying needs to double post happens every day without an edit function.

That's true.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 9:29:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 9:25:57 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 3/14/2011 7:18:32 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Someone already posted a solution to that unusual problem.


What was that?

Keeping an edit record.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.