Consensus on Thread Quality

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 4:01:55 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
I have more than 1500 posts on Newgrounds.com

In any other well-moderated forum, threads that lead to little discussion (often known as "+1 threads") are deleted. Because the forum moderator doesn't seem to care, I propose we collectively shun these +1 threads.

This means the "Rock music" and "Country music" and "Fingering a Minor" and "Finish the Story! (Word Game)" should be abandoned/deleted.

What do you all think?

please state on the top of your response whether or not you are a regular of any other forum
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 4:05:55 PM
At 10/13/2008 4:01:55 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I have more than 1500 posts on Newgrounds.com

Sorry for the double post; but to be exact, I have 1,860 posts there.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 4:17:17 PM
I used to frequent a variety of forums. What I noticed is that moderation tends to vary from place to place. Science forums and Philosophy forums tend to be much stricter, Myspace was really lax. A few gaming forums I frequented were similarly varied.

I'm all for some type of moderation, but i really don't see the need. 2 of the topics PJ was complaining about were in the "Miscellaneous" section, and the other two music threads seemed perfectly fine to me, and also in the right section.

I can't find any justification for moving those threads, much less abandoning/deleting them.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 5:07:20 PM
At 10/13/2008 4:17:17 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I'm all for some type of moderation, but i really don't see the need. 2 of the topics PJ was complaining about were in the "Miscellaneous" section, and the other two music threads seemed perfectly fine to me, and also in the right section.

But with post counts now, people might post just for the +1.

Also, in most forums, those threads that I mentioned would be deleted.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 5:15:37 PM
"Don't post on unpopular threads"
One would wonder how it's unpopular if you need to tell people not to post. I think people pretty much got it under control, and this is probably the most +1-ey thread of them all.
People should discuss in whatever threads they want to, as they have and will continue to do.
scissorhands7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 5:23:49 PM
It seems to me PoeJoe that you view yourself as the absolute authority on the topic.

I think the Music threads are highly acceptable.
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
I hang out with an apple who loves self loathing....
Its my show I'm andy milonakis.
Wayne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 5:30:59 PM
also, why would it matter if people are posting for post count, it's not like there's a contest or anything..
To be or not to be... what kind of question is that?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 5:43:41 PM
At 10/13/2008 5:23:49 PM, scissorhands7 wrote:
It seems to me PoeJoe that you view yourself as the absolute authority on the topic.

I never anything like that. But even if I did, that wouldn't change the validity of my statements.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 5:58:39 PM
Ah, found one.

Add the two post counts together, there was a forum upgrade so they had to split the post count. Legacy is pre update.

http://img136.imageshack.us...

17,228 posts
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 6:49:03 PM
All very interesting, but pointless. The forums are just starting out and they have to grow, and the atmosphere of the site has to grow, Poe Joe the Grim:P I have no want or need of threads being discarded because one person dislikes them. As said above, people will just post what they want anyway.
Don't I take care of them all?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 2:20:53 PM
This is debate.org

If people want to be competitive, they'd spend their time racking up wins to jump up the leaderboard, not post spam >.>
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
scissorhands7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 2:30:57 PM
At 10/14/2008 2:20:53 PM, Kleptin wrote:
This is debate.org

If people want to be competitive, they'd spend their time racking up wins to jump up the leaderboard, not post spam >.>

With the exception of joshandr30
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
I hang out with an apple who loves self loathing....
Its my show I'm andy milonakis.
LR4N6FTW4EVA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 3:04:31 PM
The fingering a minor thread is pretty useless, but the music ones aren't bad. Although they aren't discussions, they are still exchanges of ideas. And for those of y'all that like upping their post counts, we can create a post count thread, I've seen them work well on other forums.