How percentile is determined?

Zealous1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 12:21:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hello,

I'm wondering how the percentile or your spot on the leaderboard is generated. For example, I've done 8 debates and won 7, tied 1. Yet, I am under someone who has only done 5 debates, tied two, and won three. How is that person somehow better than I am? I understand it not :D

So I would love to find out some kind of formula or what is taken into consideration for the top debaters.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 10:01:09 AM
At 3/15/2011 2:59:07 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I think it should be changed to simply wins minus loses.

Talk to la presidente and take a number.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Zealous1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 11:54:45 AM
Now I'm confused. That forum topic had two different views. One was

(win ratio %) * (number of wins - number of ties)

The other was very confusing:

(total number of DDO users - leaderboard + 1) SOMETHING (total number of DDO users)

First, what's DDO?

Second, which equation is the right one?

Lastly, the first equation I believe is not even right. As I said, there are people with more ties and less debates and they're above me.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 11:56:19 AM
At 3/15/2011 11:54:45 AM, Zealous1 wrote:
Now I'm confused. That forum topic had two different views. One was

(win ratio %) * (number of wins - number of ties)

The other was very confusing:

(total number of DDO users - leaderboard + 1) SOMETHING (total number of DDO users)

First, what's DDO?

Second, which equation is the right one?

Lastly, the first equation I believe is not even right. As I said, there are people with more ties and less debates and they're above me.

2nd one and Debate Dot Org
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 12:20:52 PM
Not sure on the exact equation, and it doesn't really workout with less debates, but it seems that it is related to the number of debates and the number of wins.

We see that someone with 2 wins and 10 losses is above someone with 2 wins and no loses.

And we see that someone with 100 wins and 100 loses is above someone with 40 wins and no loses.

Either way, most people agree that is should be changed (some think it should be removed all together).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Zealous1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 1:43:16 PM
At 3/15/2011 12:20:52 PM, OreEle wrote:
Not sure on the exact equation, and it doesn't really workout with less debates, but it seems that it is related to the number of debates and the number of wins.

We see that someone with 2 wins and 10 losses is above someone with 2 wins and no loses.

And we see that someone with 100 wins and 100 loses is above someone with 40 wins and no loses.

Either way, most people agree that is should be changed (some think it should be removed all together).

Sounds like a dumb equation to me. It would be common sense to be mostly judged by win vs. loss but also the amount of debates.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 2:09:39 PM
At 3/15/2011 12:21:05 AM, Zealous1 wrote:
Hello,

I'm wondering how the percentile or your spot on the leaderboard is generated. For example, I've done 8 debates and won 7, tied 1. Yet, I am under someone who has only done 5 debates, tied two, and won three. How is that person somehow better than I am? I understand it not :D

So I would love to find out some kind of formula or what is taken into consideration for the top debaters.

Weird. I always thought the rankings in the leaderboard was only determined by the number of wins.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...