Jump to topic:

Video Debates

BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 2:49:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'll be honest, as much as I absolutely love this site (as it helps fill an urge I have to debate) I feel an area it is weak at satisfying, is in the realm of my desire to speak.

Are there any others who feel this need to speak while on this site as well? or is this just me?

Any way, Let me know and if so I would love to have some video debates with you!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 6:12:24 AM
At 3/17/2011 2:49:46 AM, Hello-Orange wrote:
I'll be honest, as much as I absolutely love this site (as it helps fill an urge I have to debate) I feel an area it is weak at satisfying, is in the realm of my desire to speak.

Are there any others who feel this need to speak while on this site as well? or is this just me?

Any way, Let me know and if so I would love to have some video debates with you!

Real time or just post videos?
Zealous1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 3:17:58 PM
At 3/17/2011 6:20:53 AM, Puck wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

I saw this. Both speakers are lame, lol! (And that was cheap about the standing in the rain thing)

@Hello-Orange:

We should put on suits and do official speeches! That would be so cool...

But imagine a real time video debate? Now that would be AWESOME.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 3:25:26 PM

The site would likely need to get a lot bigger to justify the spending for that kind of bandwidth.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 3:27:38 PM
At 3/17/2011 6:12:24 AM, innomen wrote:

Real time would be most preferable. But both seem fine to me.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 3:30:26 PM
Technically, you can do video debates (not real time though), by uploading to youtube, then posting the youtube videos to the debate.
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 3:32:43 PM
At 3/17/2011 3:17:58 PM, Zealous1 wrote:
At 3/17/2011 6:20:53 AM, Puck wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

I saw this. Both speakers are lame, lol! (And that was cheap about the standing in the rain thing)

@Hello-Orange:

We should put on suits and do official speeches! That would be so cool...

But imagine a real time video debate? Now that would be AWESOME.

I agree! We should totally do that some-time.
PM me and we can set it up.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 3:34:26 PM
The posted debate defeats the point, in my mind. I'd want to do debates in real time, like I'm used to, where you have to think off the top of your head. In the posted debate, the debaters are just READING their arguments off the computer in monotonic voices. Adds nothing...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 3:35:04 PM
At 3/17/2011 3:25:26 PM, OreEle wrote:

The site would likely need to get a lot bigger to justify the spending for that kind of bandwidth.

Maybe; but since I really think not too many people have the capability to have a video debate anyway, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Given on the alternative most laptops do come with built in web cams now days, so that logic might not be so strong :I
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 3:35:54 PM
At 3/17/2011 3:30:26 PM, OreEle wrote:
Technically, you can do video debates (not real time though), by uploading to youtube, then posting the youtube videos to the debate.

I agree with bluesteel. That defeats the purpose a bit.
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 3:37:43 PM
At 3/17/2011 3:34:26 PM, bluesteel wrote:
The posted debate defeats the point, in my mind. I'd want to do debates in real time, like I'm used to, where you have to think off the top of your head. In the posted debate, the debaters are just READING their arguments off the computer in monotonic voices. Adds nothing...

Agreed. If this did happen, there would have to be thirty minute time limits mandatory.

Or it would also be neat if DDO simply made an entirely new function for one-on-one real time debates.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 3:40:00 PM
At 3/17/2011 3:37:43 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:

Agreed. If this did happen, there would have to be thirty minute time limits mandatory.

Or it would also be neat if DDO simply made an entirely new function for one-on-one real time debates.

Perhaps they could include a chat section (which could be upgraded to video chat). And then, one could simply record a debate on that and upload it as a debate.
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 4:02:10 PM
At 3/17/2011 3:40:00 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/17/2011 3:37:43 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:

Perhaps they could include a chat section (which could be upgraded to video chat). And then, one could simply record a debate on that and upload it as a debate.

You see, I'm not opposed to that :D that's great idea!
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 11:09:56 PM
What if some people got together and did a policy video debate? That would be so epic.

Some people already do policy here, but if the average person here saw it on video they would say "WTF is this?!"
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 12:43:19 AM
Like I said, I'm still down for a video debate, and await your challenge.

As far as real time debates, you could always go to a streaming video chatroom and just tell a couple of DDO members to go there and watch, and judge.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 12:45:29 AM
At 3/18/2011 12:43:19 AM, TUF wrote:
Like I said, I'm still down for a video debate, and await your challenge.

As far as real time debates, you could always go to a streaming video chatroom and just tell a couple of DDO members to go there and watch, and judge.

I'm ready whenever :D
PM me and we can get it set up!
AveragejoeDev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 7:34:15 PM

Hey Hello-Orange
I would like to have video debate with you, I would suggest we arrange the debate in the same way the 2 guys in the link of the second post in this thread did.
I would prefer not to show my face in the video but instead add a separate video to accompany my voice.
If this is agreeable to you then we just have to find a subject to debate. :)
Zealous1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 7:35:41 PM
At 3/17/2011 11:09:56 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
What if some people got together and did a policy video debate? That would be so epic.

Some people already do policy here, but if the average person here saw it on video they would say "WTF is this?!"

I do policy. It's way better than this when it comes to education. But I like debating on literally anything and using stupid semantics, lol.
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 7:52:43 PM

I would absolutely adore watching a live online policy round. I never did Policy in high school, but I know the workings behind it and I've watched a few rounds. It really is a fun style :D
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 7:53:46 PM
At 3/18/2011 7:34:15 PM, AveragejoeDev wrote:

Hey Hello-Orange
I would like to have video debate with you, I would suggest we arrange the debate in the same way the 2 guys in the link of the second post in this thread did.
I would prefer not to show my face in the video but instead add a separate video to accompany my voice.
If this is agreeable to you then we just have to find a subject to debate. :)
That sounds great :D!
PM me with some details and we can flesh all of this out.
AveragejoeDev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 9:13:09 PM
Sounds good. The PM button below your name is greyed out, and when I move my mouse over it I get a textbox saying: "Hello-orange is not accepting messages at this time."
Zealous1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 10:14:02 PM
At 3/18/2011 9:13:09 PM, AveragejoeDev wrote:
Sounds good. The PM button below your name is greyed out, and when I move my mouse over it I get a textbox saying: "Hello-orange is not accepting messages at this time."

You have to friend him to PM him. You have the same thing.
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 12:44:21 AM
Is it really?
Huh, well all the same you've befriended me now so it shouldn't be a problem :3

I need to change my settings so that won't be a problem.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 1:26:33 AM
At 3/18/2011 7:35:41 PM, Zealous1 wrote:

I do policy. It's way better than this when it comes to education. But I like debating on literally anything and using stupid semantics, lol.

I do ld but Texas is a policy area. I do feel the "style" just makes you smarter over time, but I feel its bit too stressful, having to struggle just to understand people and deal with all the crazy arguments people come up with. I miss freshmen year when we talked normally and actually tried to be persuasive. But its a thing of the past. Now its all Biopolitics and Skep.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2011 1:05:45 PM
I am going to start a video debate called "Prank wars", basically to determine who is the biggest @sshole.

Each round the debater will pull a prank on a friend, or relative, and whoever has the best pranks at the end of the round wins.

No copying from youtube. Before I post this anonomously, is there any takers?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227