Jump to topic:

Can't make open debate.

Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 6:43:20 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
This is supremely annoying. I just started to create a new debate. I wanted to create an open debate, to which anyone could accept.

When creating a debate, their is a field labeled "your opponent". When you hover over these words, it makes the erroneous claim that if you leave the field blank, it will become an open debate.

Not so! It is impossible to leave the field blank, as when you leave it blank it says in the field "Type a username or leave". If I simply ignore this annoying demand, and click "review", it says this:

"The following exception(s) occurred:

We could not find a Debate.org member who's username is Type a username or leave."

What the hell?!
Add Post
Forum Moderator

10/14/2008 3:20:02 PM
At 10/13/2008 6:43:20 PM, Harlan wrote:
This is supremely annoying. I just started to create a new debate. I wanted to create an open debate, to which anyone could accept.

When creating a debate, their is a field labeled "your opponent". When you hover over these words, it makes the erroneous claim that if you leave the field blank, it will become an open debate.

Not so! It is impossible to leave the field blank, as when you leave it blank it says in the field "Type a username or leave". If I simply ignore this annoying demand, and click "review", it says this:

We could not find a Debate.org member who's username is Type a username or leave."

What the hell?!

Which browser are you using? Which version is your browser. I cannot duplicate your issue.
Sweatingjojo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 3:21:28 PM
At 10/14/2008 3:20:02 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:

What the hell?!

Which browser are you using? Which version is your browser. I cannot duplicate your issue.

It happens to me on Chrome, v. 0.241 (current).
Add Post
Forum Moderator

10/14/2008 3:36:31 PM
At 10/14/2008 3:28:08 PM, Harlan wrote:
It happens to me on Chrome, v. 0.241 (current).

That's probably it, I'm using chrome too.

Fixed. Try it now.
Add Post
Forum Moderator

10/14/2008 3:40:15 PM
At 10/14/2008 3:37:32 PM, Sweatingjojo wrote:
Beautiful. Thanks moderator on duty.

You just caught me on the site doing some maintenance. I'm going back to work on the forum's changes/fixes. cya ~ Phil

PS: I haven't tested the site using Chrome since it's such a new browser. Let me know if you catch anything else.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 4:06:17 PM
Fixed. Try it now.

Ah yes, and I see you also changed "type a user name or leave" to "type a user name or leave empty". That makes much more sense, and is also a lot kinder.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 5:12:18 PM
At 10/14/2008 4:46:46 PM, Freshiequest wrote:
Didn't it always say "Type a username or leave empty"? or is it just me?

no, it's just you.
Add Post
Forum Moderator

10/14/2008 5:39:05 PM
At 10/14/2008 4:46:46 PM, Freshiequest wrote:
Didn't it always say "Type a username or leave empty"? or is it just me?

Yes, but Google's Chrome browser was cutting the full text off. I had put the max length of the opponent field at 25 characters, and Chrome, unlike other browsers actually cuts off any default text that goes beyond 25 characters. So, the default text was/is, "Type a username or leave empty.". Chrome users only saw, "Type a username or leave". It's kind of funny if you think about it! Nothing personal Harlan.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 10:29:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I hope no one necro's this....
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 8:04:29 PM

What the hell?!

Is it still not working?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
westernmarch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 10:01:31 PM
At 6/15/2012 7:59:45 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 6/15/2012 10:29:05 AM, OberHerr wrote:
I hope no one necro's this....

*kills OberHerr*

*Drags TheBomb away*