Jump to topic:

Revenue for DDO

burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 7:20:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Ok, so recently there's been the problem that this site doesn't get enough revenue to warrant more attention from Phil. Here have been some solutions:

1. More ads. (from a lot of people)

2. A store. (credit goes to PoeJoe)

3. Plura Processing www. pluraprocessing.com (credit i think goes to me)

From the 3, a store or Plura would be most profitable. Ads would be easiest.

What do you think?
Omnes te moriturum amant 

http://www.debate.org...
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 7:26:05 PM
I think we need a donation system with the following perks

1. A "Users Who Donated" Box on the front page
2. An oppurtunity to advertise your blog/website on the front page
3. A larger character limit
4. A longer challenge period
5. A note at the end of your signature saying "I've donated"
6. A note on your profile saying "I've donated"
I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 7:27:23 PM
But do we want the site to be donation dependent?? Because the moment the donations slow or stop, the site will slow and stop. We need something that will always work, and is independent of user influence.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 7:31:31 PM
At 3/17/2009 7:27:23 PM, burningpuppies101 wrote:
But do we want the site to be donation dependent?? Because the moment the donations slow or stop, the site will slow and stop. We need something that will always work, and is independent of user influence.

I want it to be a possible source of income. We would still have ads.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 7:39:13 PM
True, but I still think the site shouldn't rely too much on donation. I agree, that would be a nice add-on, but not until the site has enough on its own, to mandate more mod presence. I think donations should be considered later, once this current problem is resolved.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 7:49:37 PM
That could be interesting, but the main problem would be that it would create a separate class of members, those who pay, and those who don't. Also, it would create a bias in Phil's eyes, no matter how hard he tries. He will always favor those who pay vs those who don't pay, since those who pay are basically giving him money. So for instance, he might be willing to overlook some bad comments that would be grounds for banning, because you have donated $100. Also, he might be more partial to those who pay. That would be the main problem, biased mod, and separate class system.

However, I think more characters and longer time limits could be cool, but that would do the same thing.

We should still look for something that runs in the background, that doesn't directly depend on user influence.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 7:59:18 PM
You all are just mad because mommy won't let you use the credit card.

At least with a public list of donations it would be out in the open. What's to stop me from getting on the good side of Phil like burningpuppies said right now by donating privately? Back room deals FTL.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 8:37:39 PM
At 3/17/2009 7:59:18 PM, s0m31john wrote:
You all are just mad because mommy won't let you use the credit card.

At least with a public list of donations it would be out in the open. What's to stop me from getting on the good side of Phil like burningpuppies said right now by donating privately? Back room deals FTL.

Yes, thats another point. Many members don't have credit cards...

Also, its because it would be public is the problem. Perhaps if it was private, and anonymous.

Also, can we get a mod's opinion on this?
Omnes te moriturum amant 

s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 8:41:13 PM
If it were private and anonymous there would be no incentive to do it in the first place. You guys are turning a mole hill into a mountain. A paypal donate button and a list acknowledging who donated is pretty common. I don't see it creating some giant clusterf**k like you guys think it will.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 9:00:39 PM
But with all the new players, it could create a sense of elitism... I don't know really... But I don't want the system to rely too much on donations, since a lot of people can't donate, except for the few who are over 18.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 9:03:24 PM
Over 18? I've had my own debit card since I was 15.
I'm 17 now and I have a Visa Bank of America debit card, and a Paypal debit Mastercard.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 9:05:02 PM
ok, but most people don't. I think. Well, I don't... But do you agree that as nice as a donation system would be, this site shouldn't be too dependent on donations?
Omnes te moriturum amant 

s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 9:07:04 PM
Yes I agree with that, but that doesn't mean the option shouldn't be there. It should be relatively easy to implement as well.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 9:08:25 PM
Yes, I suppose that a donation system could work, but I'm still worried about a new-vet gap between the members. Now we have to worry about a pay-non pay gap. Not to mention Phil would be biased.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 9:32:49 PM
Loads of websites have donate options, and none of them have 'gaps' as you describe them. I think a donate option is a fantastic idea, and I would be more than willing to doante a bit. The question is how much and would it make a difference. The answer being not much (I am but a mere student, begging his parents not to charge him rent to stay in his own home) and becuase of that it probably wouldnt make a difference. BUT every penny counts!
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 9:36:19 PM
AND......T-SHIRTS! little idea somebody set up a forum topic on what a good t-shirt design for DDO could be!
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 9:41:38 PM
The problem with crediting users with donations is that that would imply that they are making the donation directly from their debate.org account, which would be overly complicated.

Donations should transcend different debate.org accounts.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2009 10:50:11 PM
Which is why I think donations should be anonymous. It transcends users and members, and if people like the site, they will donate, unless they are som31john, who wants something in return. I think people will donate, not because of a character boost, but because they genuinely like the site and want to keep it here.

With that aside, what is your opinion on Plura Processing??? I keep bringing it up, but no one's really taken a look at it, even though it could be the thing we are looking for.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2009 6:10:45 AM
At 3/17/2009 10:50:11 PM, burningpuppies101 wrote:
Which is why I think donations should be anonymous. It transcends users and members, and if people like the site, they will donate, unless they are som31john, who wants something in return. I think people will donate, not because of a character boost, but because they genuinely like the site and want to keep it here.

With that aside, what is your opinion on Plura Processing??? I keep bringing it up, but no one's really taken a look at it, even though it could be the thing we are looking for.

Fair nuff. How is it determined how much money you make with plura processing?

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2009 8:02:56 AM
At 3/18/2009 7:51:41 AM, burningpuppies101 wrote:
I think it depends on:

1. Traffic.

2. Amount downloaded per visit.

Well we can't control 2 (I think)
But debate.org has plenty of traffic.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2009 3:37:59 PM
Just a question, how might we go about getting Phil to implemtent these systems.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2009 4:14:54 PM
At 3/18/2009 3:37:59 PM, ournamestoolong wrote:
Just a question, how might we go about getting Phil to implemtent these systems.

For plura, I think he'd just have to sign up on their site as an affiliate and paste a snippet of code into either the header or footer PHP files.

For donations, he would have to add a box on the front page that reads donations from the DB, add a table for donations in the DB, and make a system that will interface with paypal or something and will also update the newly-created table in the DB. A bit more work for this one.
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2009 4:23:21 PM
At 3/18/2009 4:14:54 PM, beem0r wrote:
At 3/18/2009 3:37:59 PM, ournamestoolong wrote:

For plura, I think he'd just have to sign up on their site as an affiliate and paste a snippet of code into either the header or footer PHP files.

For donations, he would have to add a box on the front page that reads donations from the DB, add a table for donations in the DB, and make a system that will interface with paypal or something and will also update the newly-created table in the DB. A bit more work for this one.

Thank you, but I meant, how do we CONVINCE Phil to implement theses systems?

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2009 6:24:05 PM
At 3/18/2009 8:02:56 AM, ournamestoolong wrote:
At 3/18/2009 7:51:41 AM, burningpuppies101 wrote:
I think it depends on:

1. Traffic.

2. Amount downloaded per visit.

Well we can't control 2 (I think)
But debate.org has plenty of traffic.

The affiliate (Phil) can control how much each download actually downloads, and he gets paid more for more download.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2009 11:58:03 AM
There are sites, such as ROM sites, which rely entirely on donations. They provide such a good service they get more than enough for their server charge (1000 +) monthly in order to keep it a free site for everyone. I feel the demographics of such a site would not be unlike DDO's (Teenagers and Students).

T-shirts? I have a few ideas:

- The shirt reads "V-Bombing", and a bunch of +7's fall on a debate

- A picture of Phil in front of a white light saying " Hail the mod (or phil)" [Or something to that effect]

- A simple "WWW. Debate. Orrg" with a catchy slogan such as " we have issues" (if PoeJoe would be so kind as to part with it.

- " DEBATE THIS!" in caps.

Of course, all the shirts would have Debate.org written on the back. This:

- Gives DDO users a good t-shirt to have whilst debating.
- Advertises DDO to people who would otherwise be oblivious to the site.
- Gives DDo a good profit for each t-shirt made.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2009 11:08:02 PM
At 3/20/2009 11:58:03 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
There are sites, such as ROM sites, which rely entirely on donations. They provide such a good service they get more than enough for their server charge (1000 +) monthly in order to keep it a free site for everyone. I feel the demographics of such a site would not be unlike DDO's (Teenagers and Students).

T-shirts? I have a few ideas:

- The shirt reads "V-Bombing", and a bunch of +7's fall on a debate

- A picture of Phil in front of a white light saying " Hail the mod (or phil)" [Or something to that effect]

- A simple "WWW. Debate. Orrg" with a catchy slogan such as " we have issues" (if PoeJoe would be so kind as to part with it.

- " DEBATE THIS!" in caps.

Of course, all the shirts would have Debate.org written on the back. This:

- Gives DDO users a good t-shirt to have whilst debating.
- Advertises DDO to people who would otherwise be oblivious to the site.
- Gives DDo a good profit for each t-shirt made.

When I debate, I tend to be in a suit.....

I think that there are too many people who are unable to provide a credit card for donations to be effective. But it could be a great add-on
Omnes te moriturum amant