Total Posts:46|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

History

innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 11:45:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 11:42:51 AM, Mirza wrote:
Would a History forum not be sufficient to add? Historical discussions do not have a specific forum, which is quite messy.

And i really love history discussions.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 11:49:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 11:45:26 AM, innomen wrote:
At 3/26/2011 11:42:51 AM, Mirza wrote:
Would a History forum not be sufficient to add? Historical discussions do not have a specific forum, which is quite messy.

And i really love history discussions.
Precisely. A forum and debate category for history would be good in my opinion.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 2:46:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't feel enough History based discussion goes on to justify such a forum. Ultimately the history surrounding pre-existing subjects (politics, society, etc.) is the main type of history debated.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 2:55:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 2:46:48 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I don't feel enough History based discussion goes on to justify such a forum. Ultimately the history surrounding pre-existing subjects (politics, society, etc.) is the main type of history debated.

Maybe history would be discussed more if there was a forum for it? I know we have a few history buffs here who would put it to good use.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 3:09:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 2:55:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Maybe history would be discussed more if there was a forum for it? I know we have a few history buffs here who would put it to good use.

I highly doubt it. We also have some artists here yet the Arts forum is dead.
President of DDO
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 3:20:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 3:09:52 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 3/26/2011 2:55:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Maybe history would be discussed more if there was a forum for it? I know we have a few history buffs here who would put it to good use.

I highly doubt it. We also have some artists here yet the Arts forum is dead.
PoeJoe maintained it back in the day.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 5:56:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 2:46:48 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I don't feel enough History based discussion goes on to justify such a forum. Ultimately the history surrounding pre-existing subjects (politics, society, etc.) is the main type of history debated.
There are various history debates, and an official forum would encourage many to lead discussions, I think. We also have an Economics forum even though it both belongs to Politics and Philosophy, and stretches even to Society.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 5:57:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 3:09:52 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 3/26/2011 2:55:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Maybe history would be discussed more if there was a forum for it? I know we have a few history buffs here who would put it to good use.

I highly doubt it. We also have some artists here yet the Arts forum is dead.
That is correct, but we do have far more historical topics being brought up than topics about art.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 6:18:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 5:57:06 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 3/26/2011 3:09:52 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 3/26/2011 2:55:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Maybe history would be discussed more if there was a forum for it? I know we have a few history buffs here who would put it to good use.

I highly doubt it. We also have some artists here yet the Arts forum is dead.
That is correct, but we do have far more historical topics being brought up than topics about art.

History tends to be way more debatable than art too since opinions on art are purely subjective while historical facts are objective.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:14:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 7:12:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I would personally contribute heavily to such a category.

Same, I love history and it's one thing I actually have a decent amount of knowledge in.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:19:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The forums we have now are more than sufficient. If you want to create a thread which discusses History, you can do so in the Politics, Economics, Society, Religion and even Art forums since most historical conversations will be based on these topics, but simply in the past. Creating yet another forum which will inevitably be as active as the Art forum (meaning not active) does not seem needed.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:19:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Take this as an example. You want to write about how the Qin Dynasty dealt with science, what kind of scientific advancements it went through, and how that affected later scientific discoveries. You also want to explain how its political system influenced the world, but even more, you wish to explain what caused the political system to be as it was. Was it religion? Random philosophy? Ad infinitum.

Where do you put all this? Science? Religion? Politics? Philosophy? No, you put it in a History forum. I know that one might say that we could keep on adding quite a few more forums if we add history, but history is very popular, it has a lot of topics not only to be displayed, but also discussed, and so forth. That is why I think that a History forum would fit to this site, along with a debate category.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:22:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 7:19:28 PM, Mirza wrote:
Take this as an example. You want to write about how the Qin Dynasty dealt with science, what kind of scientific advancements it went through, and how that affected later scientific discoveries. You also want to explain how its political system influenced the world, but even more, you wish to explain what caused the political system to be as it was. Was it religion? Random philosophy? Ad infinitum.

Where do you put all this? Science? Religion? Politics? Philosophy? No, you put it in a History forum. I know that one might say that we could keep on adding quite a few more forums if we add history, but history is very popular, it has a lot of topics not only to be displayed, but also discussed, and so forth. That is why I think that a History forum would fit to this site, along with a debate category.

Such a thread would be a horrible idea. That is way too many topics within one discussion. I would advocate creating a thread about the scientific discoveries and then one about its political influences.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:23:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 7:14:50 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 3/26/2011 7:06:42 PM, Puck wrote:
No.
Do you have a justification?

Yup.

I welcome a reasonable explanation rather than vague words.

No isn't vague at all. At any rate you'd simply disagree with the reasoning making the espousal of such a time wasting affair. The vote is all that is required.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:24:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 7:21:37 PM, Puck wrote:
That is called a blog entry.
It is also called a discussion. If I make a short topic about Illyrians, and give a theory about who they were, then do you think that it is just like a blog post? Nobody will object if I told that they built pyramids (hypothetically)? Far from a blog entry. It is called an explanation. People also come with what you call "blog entries" in all the other forum categories.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:25:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 7:23:32 PM, Puck wrote:
No isn't vague at all. At any rate you'd simply disagree with the reasoning making the espousal of such a time wasting affair. The vote is all that is required.
Because I stand by my opinions until I cannot bear them any longer - thanks.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:25:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 7:21:37 PM, Puck wrote:
That is called a blog entry.

With that justification we should just call it the "Charlesb forum"?
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:26:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 7:24:09 PM, Mirza wrote:
People also come with what you call "blog entries" in all the other forum categories.

See charlesb.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:27:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 7:22:56 PM, annhasle wrote:
Such a thread would be a horrible idea. That is way too many topics within one discussion. I would advocate creating a thread about the scientific discoveries and then one about its political influences.
Political discussions also cover many topics. They cover religious topics, economics, philosophy, possibly personal issues, and so on. Giving an explanation about Libertarianism would be fitting to lots of forum categories. Also, this was just an example. You can discuss history about science etc. in an old empire by starting with 2,000 characters.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:29:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 7:26:19 PM, Puck wrote:
At 3/26/2011 7:24:09 PM, Mirza wrote:
People also come with what you call "blog entries" in all the other forum categories.

See charlesb.
Yes, and my point stands. What he said was widely discussed, actually. A bit of history that belongs to several forum categories can merely be merged into a History category. I think that is good. We should not have "architecture" because not many people have a broad understanding about it on this site whatsoever, not is the interest for advanced architecture very spread in my opinion. It is quite the opposite with history, though.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:31:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't really think it's necessary, because of the other forums. Plus, can you really have a discussion about history with most people? I mean, I wouldn't be able to make a thread about the history of Quebec, Canada, because nobody else probably knows about it and nobody else cares. I took a class on Korean history a couple years ago but, again, who cares... It would just be a lot of talk about American and European history which doesn't seem necessary to me.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2011 7:32:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/26/2011 7:27:05 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 3/26/2011 7:22:56 PM, annhasle wrote:
Such a thread would be a horrible idea. That is way too many topics within one discussion. I would advocate creating a thread about the scientific discoveries and then one about its political influences.

Political discussions also cover many topics. They cover religious topics, economics, philosophy, possibly personal issues, and so on. Giving an explanation about Libertarianism would be fitting to lots of forum categories.

But the key focus is politics and how religion or philosophy then affects politics or how politics is implemented. That is far less confusing than talking about the scientific discoveries of the Qin dynasty and then also talking about its political influences within the same thread.

Also, this was just an example. You can discuss history about science etc. in an old empire by starting with 2,000 characters.

Create such a thread in the Science forum.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.