Jump to topic:

Voting System

AznWords
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 3:23:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm relatively new to this website but I've already read of (on the forums) and bore witness to (in the actual debates) abusing the voting system. It's done a lot restricting votes to only members who have complete 3 full debates and requiring a comment to be posted on why each member voted the way he/she did. There's still a problem of people simply vote bombing others or voting based soley on one's opinion of the topic--with no regard of the actual agruments brought up by the debating parties.

I believe we should implement a system to disregard votes if they are found to be unfair. Votes would only be disregarded if a certain number of flags were raised against it. This is only one proposal and for sure needs some fine tuning but the point I'd like to make is that people can still make unfair votes and something should be done to address this issue. Sure there may be some votes we may not completely agree with but there are many votes which have no reasoning behind the points awarded. We can find examples of this in blank voting comments and comments that make absolutely no reference to the actual debate.

This is the debate which got me started on this idea: http://www.debate.org...

I think others can, too, find many examples of unfair voting that still exists in our current system. Please members of DDO consider my proposal.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 3:28:20 PM
thank you.

I've offset 4 off the vote bombs that bluesteal27 did (since I originally voted 3 points, I only had 4 left to use to offset).

The "vote bombing" abuse was much worse before, and even worse when votes were private. There, of course, will always be some degree of vote bombing, and we should always try to minimize it.

There are, hopefully, some updates coming out soon (again, hopefully) that may improve this.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 3:43:46 PM
I don't even bother debating on subjects that are vastly unpopular. It's just an uphill struggle, although it's not a problem finding an opponent. Typically i am not really upset if i lose a debate, but sometimes there's a lot of work that goes into it, and it seems a bit outrageous when you should have won, but don't.

If you take a very unpopular position, and do a very good job of it, and your opponent is adequate, you will lose. If you do an outstanding job of it, and your opponent does a piss poor job of it you will have a chance.

In this i give Mirza a lot of credit. He continually takes very unpopular positions and loses a lot but also wins a fair amount. He doesn't deny a debate solely on whether or not he has any shot of winning.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 3:44:35 PM
At 3/30/2011 3:31:49 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Thanks for bringing this up. I just read the debate and saw that RFD. What a shame people cannot be objective when voting.

It is a shame, but, thats to the RFDs and public voting, we can see these better and correct them.

If there was no RFD, we would not be able to tell if he was reading his own oppinion into the debate (as his RFD showed), or if he actually felt that way.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 3:46:02 PM
At 3/30/2011 3:43:46 PM, innomen wrote:
I don't even bother debating on subjects that are vastly unpopular. It's just an uphill struggle, although it's not a problem finding an opponent. Typically i am not really upset if i lose a debate, but sometimes there's a lot of work that goes into it, and it seems a bit outrageous when you should have won, but don't.

If you take a very unpopular position, and do a very good job of it, and your opponent is adequate, you will lose. If you do an outstanding job of it, and your opponent does a piss poor job of it you will have a chance.

In this i give Mirza a lot of credit. He continually takes very unpopular positions and loses a lot but also wins a fair amount. He doesn't deny a debate solely on whether or not he has any shot of winning.

That is true.

I have noticed that about Mirza.