The reason we debate

BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 9:30:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I want to post this question to anyone who would answer it;

Do we debate to learn more about a specific topic?
Do we debate because it's fun?
Do we debate because we feel the need to disprove other's faulty opinions?
or do we debate simply to push our own opinions?

Now for part two of the questions;

If we debate solely to push our own opinions, regardless of whether the belief is right or wrong, does debate lose it's purpose?
If there is no desire to gain truth, but only to push a personal opinion; does the debate have a purpose?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 9:57:27 AM
well i doubt "pushing your own opinion" is an end in itself for anyone... if they are motivated to do so it must give them pleasure.

as for that notion destroying the purpose of debate- only if you think theres something wrong with gaining pleasure from pushing your own opinions.

my guess is you're of the "debate is meant to lead to truth" camp?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 3:21:06 PM
1. Debate is fun because it makes me think. I won't debate a topic if the debate doesn't seem like it will be interesting.

2. I'll take a debate as a way of forcing myself to do research on a topic that I think would be good to learn more about.

3. I'll sometimes debate someone who has an indefensible position, like some unjustifiable religious belief, as an exercise in keeping focused on the topic. It's good training for me.

4. I do want to convince others of some things. The opponent is only rarely convinced, but I think readers are subject to being convinced. Even unconvinced opponents may drop certain arguments and argue differently as a consequence of a good debate.

5. I'm interested in the theory of argumentation. For example, what is behind rationalization? Why do people rationalize rather than change opinions? Interesting stuff.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 3:24:24 PM
At 4/4/2011 9:30:41 AM, Hello-Orange wrote:

Yes

For sure, that's most of it.

Not the need, but I find it useful to do it. It exposes you to different stuff.

Where's the point in that? Convince yourself that you're right? that's boring

If we debate solely to push our own opinions, regardless of whether the belief is right or wrong, does debate lose it's purpose?
No, because often in debating we find a purpose to the fight, and often it helps define your opinion

If there is no desire to gain truth, but only to push a personal opinion; does the debate have a purpose?
What's the difference between getting truth and an opinion? an opinion is what I think is true. i might be wrong, and that's why i debate.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 10:43:26 PM
The reasons I debate:

It's fun.

I want to get good at debating and learn about other peoples views.

I want to persuade people into excepting my views.

I want to learn more about my own views.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 10:48:34 PM
I debate:

1) as a practical (?) exercise in logic,

2) When someone poses a question I am deeply interested in, whether or not I know very much about it,

and/or

3) When someone displays a colossal ignorance and self-confidence on an issue I know a fair bit about.

When 1, I enjoy it for the argument's own sake; when 2, I enjoy getting to learn about the subject and get stretched to meet my opponent; when 3, I enjoy taking the common untrue trusim and tearing it apart politely.

My favorite debate ever was when someone claimed the Moon was an artificial base constructed by aliens, mostly hollow, for their impending invasion of Earth. I was able to show by mathematics that this is utterly impossible.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 11:57:47 PM
I debate because I'm right and I want everyone else to know I'm right and agree with me because I'm right. That's why you all debate and there's nothing else to it.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 12:51:00 AM
Propaganda + fun.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 1:34:55 AM
At 4/4/2011 11:57:47 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
I debate because I'm right and I want everyone else to know I'm right and agree with me because I'm right. That's why you all debate and there's nothing else to it.

I'll debate you against that, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Johnny_Hellfire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 10:00:52 PM
Fun
Friday, April 08, 2011 @ 10:52:12 PMPosted by:ccstate4peat
17-year old male in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, United States.Debates: 25Wins: 34.78%Percentile: 95thIdeology: ConservativeParty: Libertarian PartyOnline: Right Now

ccstate4peatA few months later I made another account in hopes that the old owner wouldn't give a sh17 anymore and started posting again. .
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2011 9:32:44 PM
At 4/4/2011 9:57:27 AM, belle wrote:
well i doubt "pushing your own opinion" is an end in itself for anyone... if they are motivated to do so it must give them pleasure.

as for that notion destroying the purpose of debate- only if you think theres something wrong with gaining pleasure from pushing your own opinions.

my guess is you're of the "debate is meant to lead to truth" camp?

Well it might not be an end within itself, but if that is a goal of debating it is an intrinsic end.

And I don't really know if you could classify me as some-one who would debate solely for truth (given most of my IRL debates are for that purpose) but my though process is that the action of debating can't be just for fun; true debate must hav something deeper.
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2011 9:36:13 PM
At 4/4/2011 3:21:06 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
1. Debate is fun because it makes me think. I won't debate a topic if the debate doesn't seem like it will be interesting.

2. I'll take a debate as a way of forcing myself to do research on a topic that I think would be good to learn more about.

3. I'll sometimes debate someone who has an indefensible position, like some unjustifiable religious belief, as an exercise in keeping focused on the topic. It's good training for me.

4. I do want to convince others of some things. The opponent is only rarely convinced, but I think readers are subject to being convinced. Even unconvinced opponents may drop certain arguments and argue differently as a consequence of a good debate.

5. I'm interested in the theory of argumentation. For example, what is behind rationalization? Why do people rationalize rather than change opinions? Interesting stuff.

Thank you :)
I think reasons 1, 2, 3, and 5 are completely acceptable reasons to debate; and not that I don't think 4 isn't; I really challenge the idea that if this is sole reason fr debating, is there any purpose to it.

I mean if some-one enters into a debate not being open to having their opinions changed, is there are purpose to the debate?
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2011 9:37:20 PM
At 4/4/2011 3:24:24 PM, burningpuppies101 wrote:

Yes

For sure, that's most of it.

Not the need, but I find it useful to do it. It exposes you to different stuff.

Where's the point in that? Convince yourself that you're right? that's boring

No, because often in debating we find a purpose to the fight, and often it helps define your opinion

What's the difference between getting truth and an opinion? an opinion is what I think is true. i might be wrong, and that's why i debate.

I disagree with you on so many levels here, but I thank you none the less for answering.
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2011 9:42:19 PM
At 4/4/2011 10:48:34 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
I debate:

1) as a practical (?) exercise in logic,

2) When someone poses a question I am deeply interested in, whether or not I know very much about it,

and/or

3) When someone displays a colossal ignorance and self-confidence on an issue I know a fair bit about.

When 1, I enjoy it for the argument's own sake; when 2, I enjoy getting to learn about the subject and get stretched to meet my opponent; when 3, I enjoy taking the common untrue trusim and tearing it apart politely.

My favorite debate ever was when someone claimed the Moon was an artificial base constructed by aliens, mostly hollow, for their impending invasion of Earth. I was able to show by mathematics that this is utterly impossible.

In that case let's concentrate on your third answer; Let me challenge your stance-
when going into a debate sch as this, do you have an open mind that you may in fact be wrong; or do you completely assume you are completely right when debating this colossally ignorant person?

Then deconstructing the argument even more, if you do not have an open mind are you too ignorant? Or, if they are truly and idiot, why would your beliefs be threatened enough to want to debate?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 9:05:40 PM
I mean if some-one enters into a debate not being open to having their opinions changed, is there are purpose to the debate?

Sure, there are reasons 1, 2, 3, and 5 I cited. If you think there is much chance of convincing your opponent, you are going to be disappointed. It happens, but less than 5% of the time. There have been some good scientist debates on global warming captured on video. CO2-crisis advocates get their clocks cleaned every time, and polls of the audience show that the audience opinion was swayed significantly.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 9:16:52 PM

Learning is a large part of why I debate. I'm pretty ignorant about most things and debating is a good educating tool.

Fun is a part I believe.

Not me personally.

That's not really a factor either as playing devil's advocate is the funnest part about this site.

No. Debating is dialogue and that's always good.

I dunno.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
PFD_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 11:09:58 PM
Personally, I debate because it's fun.
There isn't much of a reason beyond that for me; It's something I'm passionate about, and I want to debate as much as I can.
WillMurray
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2011 8:35:44 AM
A lot of the reasons stated above. For me though I also just enjoy trying to understand people. In an argument part of the goal is trying to understand why your opponent thinks what he does. I just like being able to understand people or at least trying.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 4:10:44 PM
I've always enjoyed contending my ideas against others, and debate has formalized that process, and made me better at reasoning out my positions and arguments. Debate has helped me somewhat in sales, but i do need to switch to persuasion rather than confrontation.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 4:13:48 PM
At 4/4/2011 9:30:41 AM, BangBang-Coconut wrote:

Sometimes. We can debate simply to gain the good experience of learning and researching in the old downtown library, or sometimes in our own living rooms.
Well, that depends on one's opinion...For me, debates are not fun but intellectually stimulating and a good way to resolve opposing views and arguments.
Yes. Reformed argued with Bozo about who was the bigger ahole, and I even created a debate about Jesus being a zombie savior with Bozo here.
Umm....That would be most contradictory to the nature of a debate, I think....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau