Jump to topic:

DDO Site Bugs

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 1:43:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It may be useful to post a list of apparent bugs encountered on the site, so users can try to avoid them and so juggle is aware of them. Some bugs may be "features" but these seem like bugs to me.

This is with Firefox 4.0.1 and Windows 7, as of April 5, 2011.

1. The links in the e-mail messages providing notification of activity do not appear as hot links, but must be cut and pasted into the browser to get to the page. My e-mail reader is Thunderbird. They used to work as hot links.

2. When using the "Report this Comment" button in the Comments section of a debate, an error message appears saying that I must login or join the site. This appears even though I am logged in, and logging in again does not help. The feature is effectively disabled.

3. If I bring up the "Post your Argument" screen and start entering text, then click on a link in the Previous Arguments entries, two bad things happen. The linked page opens in the current window, rather than in a new window. Then if when using the Back button on the browser, I discover that everything I entered in the new argument is permanently erased. his was using RTF; I didn't try it with plain text.

4. A work around to (3) is to compose in a separate editor. I use OpenOffice. However, strange things happen when copying from the OO file to the RTF DDO page. One specific this is that if a paragraph happens to end with a link, then a blank line after the paragraph will be ignored. The blank line must then be restored by editing the DDO page.

5. When pasting RTF, it often becomes impossible to get rid of boldface or italic text formats. This happens when copying from Wikipedia or from OO. For example, boldface remains if highlighted and then clicked to attempt to reverse it. Even deleting the text and retyping it may not work. Apparently the embedded html persists. There is a similar problem with copying large fonts sizes; they resist editing.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 5:33:24 PM
When I try to add a debate to my favorites it says I need to log in even though I already am.

I always click the remember me box when I log in. But I am almost always logged out when I go onto this site.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 6:04:01 PM
In the Advanced Search section (under People), it allows me to search within a country but it won't let me narrow that search to a specific state. Also, the "search within a certain distance from you" just results in listing every person on the site.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 6:46:52 PM
At 4/5/2011 6:04:01 PM, Johnicle wrote:
In the Advanced Search section (under People), , the "search within a certain distance from you" just results in listing every person on the site.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
AznWords
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 10:20:52 PM
I notice that when you highlight or bold something in rich text you can't undo it so you have to erase and re-type the whole entire phrase. I'm not sure if thats just me or...
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 11:17:05 PM
I am using the same web browser and OS as the OP and I have noticed 3, 4 and 5. My problems with copy/pasting from OpenOffice have been similar. I cannot comment on 1 because I use a different email provider and I do not receive emails from DDO in any case. I have not noticed 2 but I have not reported anything within the past couple weeks as far as I remember.
JuliaD
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 9:09:47 AM
Thank you everyone for reporting these. We will take a look at some of the issues and if we can recreate them we should be able to resolve them. If there are any other bugs, feel free to report them.
JuliaD
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2011 10:16:30 AM
Hello everyone,

We are reviewing a number of these reports and hope to get some fixes out in the next several days. I will keep you posted once we have finalized which items we can address quickly.

Thanks,
Julia
eric.castelli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2011 10:22:21 AM
3. If I bring up the "Post your Argument" screen and start entering text, then click on a link in the Previous Arguments entries, two bad things happen. The linked page opens in the current window, rather than in a new window. Then if when using the Back button on the browser, I discover that everything I entered in the new argument is permanently erased. his was using RTF; I didn't try it with plain text.

I have tried to replicate this one in FF and Chrome and all the links in previous arguments appear to open in a new window. Was this happening on a specific debate? If so, can you let me know which one so I can check it out?

Thanks,
Eric Castelli
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2011 2:01:51 PM
I'm not 100% certain of the debates on which it occurred. I believe it was 15175 and 15374. Blackvoid said he also had the problem.

I'm using 64-bit Windows 7, Firefox, and the RTF mode of posting arguments.

Here are the steps:

1. bring up the "Post your Argument" screen

2. start entering text,

3. click on a link in the Previous Arguments entries,

> The linked page opens in the current window, rather than in a new window

4. using the Back button on the browser to return to "Post Your Arguments"

> the argument is permanently erased.

One avenue to explore is that either entering a link in the new argument or copying formatted text into the new argument causes the html error in the temporary page. That would be consistent with the other errors observed when pasting, and it would explain why the error is not easily reproducible.
Zealous1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2011 4:38:13 PM
On number 5, I think I have the fix. It was extremely annoying to me too. But you have to click bold twice or even more to get it done.