Jump to topic:

Plagiarism

GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 6:34:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
While NarutoArsenal didn't totally copy my argument, certain parts were almost word for word the same, and a lot of the same general ideas carried over.

http://www.debate.org...

Mine: "Itachi's great speed combined with his Sharingan's abilities would allow him to avoid damage from Pain and enact strategies too quickly for Pain to counter."

His: "Itachi's speed, intelligence and sharingan skills would allow him to avoid damage from Pain and make or counter strategies too fast for Pain to counter."

My debate: "In summary, Itachi's great speed allows him to enact strategies such as the one described above without Nagato ever having a chance to counter..."

His debate: "In summary, Itachi's great speed and intelligence allows him to create strategies like the one described above without Nagato having a chance to counter."

You can look through the rest of his argument to find more evidence of theft, from the fireball/shuriken attack to the use of the databook stats. Not sure of the rules about argument plagiarism, but I'd like it if some sort of penalty could be enforced, since I put a good amount of time and thought into that argument.
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 6:37:27 PM
At 4/18/2011 6:34:56 PM, GeorgeCarlinWorshipper wrote:
While NarutoArsenal didn't totally copy my argument, certain parts were almost word for word the same, and a lot of the same general ideas carried over.

Mine: "Itachi's great speed combined with his Sharingan's abilities would allow him to avoid damage from Pain and enact strategies too quickly for Pain to counter."

His: "Itachi's speed, intelligence and sharingan skills would allow him to avoid damage from Pain and make or counter strategies too fast for Pain to counter."

My debate: "In summary, Itachi's great speed allows him to enact strategies such as the one described above without Nagato ever having a chance to counter..."

His debate: "In summary, Itachi's great speed and intelligence allows him to create strategies like the one described above without Nagato having a chance to counter."

You can look through the rest of his argument to find more evidence of theft, from the fireball/shuriken attack to the use of the databook stats. Not sure of the rules about argument plagiarism, but I'd like it if some sort of penalty could be enforced, since I put a good amount of time and thought into that argument.

If he doesn't list you as a source, when I vote, I'll make sure to cost him the conduct and sources points.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 6:42:27 PM
Thanks.
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 6:53:40 PM
it's not really plagiarism, since the intellectual property is juggle's. So as long as its on juggle, its not plagiarism.

However, if you were to put your own arguments on DDO and put them on a paper or publication without citing, this is a form of plagiarism and is a serious offense.
Open borders debate:
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 6:56:42 PM
Plagiarism in the literal sense, not the legal sense.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 9:46:51 PM
At 4/18/2011 6:53:40 PM, darkkermit wrote:
it's not really plagiarism, since the intellectual property is juggle's. So as long as its on juggle, its not plagiarism.

Since we're the voters, that is up to us.

However, if you were to put your own arguments on DDO and put them on a paper or publication without citing, this is a form of plagiarism and is a serious offense.

That is if Juggle decided to actually do anything about it, and even then, they'd have a hard time really doing anything about it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 8:49:01 PM
Never mind, guys. We came to an agreement. Disregard this thread as soon as he credits my arguments in his debate.