Jump to topic:

debate etiquette

truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 12:25:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
which is preferable to use in debate "you" or "my opponent" or "pro/con"? I personally usually use the 1st option until the final round I switch to the 2nd. I would like to hear the opinion of others.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 12:27:22 AM
At 4/21/2011 12:25:05 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:
which is preferable to use in debate "you" or "my opponent" or "pro/con"? I personally usually use the 1st option until the final round I switch to the 2nd. I would like to hear the opinion of others.

I refer to my opponent as "My Opponent" (would you believe it?) and refer to the debaters as "Pro/Con" when I'm doing RFDs.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 12:29:18 AM
The word "you" is awkward because when a voter reads the debate, it feels like reading a conversation between two people that he or she is not involved in. I use "Pro/Con," "my opponent," or my opponent's username. The conversation of the debate is directed at the observer and not at the opponent.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 1:33:53 AM

Most of the time I'll say "my opponent." Sometimes I'll say Pro or Con. If I'm feeling overly competitive, I'll say "my antagonist." If I'm feeling fancy, I'll say "my interlocutor." If I'm really trying to drive a point home, I'll refer to my opponent directly by using his or her username.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 10:10:42 AM
Either "My opponent" or "Pro/Con," but not "you." In a debate the arguments are being attacked, not the person, so it's best to keep a distance as much as possible. Some here actually use the opponent name. That's poor etiquette.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 12:25:53 PM
At 4/21/2011 10:10:42 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Either "My opponent" or "Pro/Con," but not "you." In a debate the arguments are being attacked, not the person, so it's best to keep a distance as much as possible. Some here actually use the opponent name. That's poor etiquette.

In every live debate I've ever participated in (or have seen), people use their opponent's name. When I say "live" I mean in person. ---->

Why do you think it's poor etiquette?

If you don't use the other person's name, it's almost as if you're talking past the other person. That's at least how I think about it.

"You" is just syntactically incorrect.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 12:28:19 PM
At 4/21/2011 12:27:22 AM, tvellalott wrote:

I refer to my opponent as "My Opponent" (would you believe it?) and refer to the debaters as "Pro/Con" when I'm doing RFDs.

Ditto.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 12:43:40 PM
Here's a good example of poor etiquette. --->

He should have just said "Obama." It was too impersonal and distant. He was talking past Obama.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 12:47:35 PM
At 4/21/2011 12:43:40 PM, Freeman wrote:
Here's a good example of poor etiquette. --->

He should have just said "Obama." It was too impersonal and distant. He was talking past Obama.

I remember that, it was so funny how so many jumped up yelling "RACISM!"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 1:00:06 PM
At 4/21/2011 12:47:35 PM, OreEle wrote:
I remember that, it was so funny how so many jumped up yelling "RACISM!"

I don't think John McCain is a racist, he's just....an idiot.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 1:16:18 PM
"That one" sounds cool. I will try using it in my debate :)
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.