Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Why's Freeman's tournament taking so long?

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 10:44:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm not trying to be a d!ck or anything but I'm pretty sure Freeman's debate tournament has been going since I joined DDO. Do tournaments normally take this long?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 10:53:19 PM
I don't think we've ever finished one before. The L-M Classic was as close as it got to finishing in my memory.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 10:54:24 PM
At 4/21/2011 10:44:35 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I'm not trying to be a d!ck or anything but I'm pretty sure Freeman's debate tournament has been going since I joined DDO. Do tournaments normally take this long?

do you have to make a thread to vent your every random thought? this could have just been put in Freemans tournament #5 thread or in a PM between you and him.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 11:05:51 PM
At 4/21/2011 10:54:24 PM, Marauder wrote:

do you have to make a thread to vent your every random thought? this could have just been put in Freemans tournament #5 thread or in a PM between you and him.

The freeman tournament #5 thread is for ideas and questions specifically related to the current round of the tournament. Also Freeman might not have an answer so I figured asking DDO members in general would prove more productive. And why do you care if I create a new thread? Is there some sort of limit? Am I wasting precious space on the DDO forum? Calm down bro. And I'm not venting. I'm not angry, simply curious.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 11:09:38 PM

It's a lot of work. We're coordinating the actions of people from all over the country and even from around the world.

Some people dropped out of round one. And some people took a really long time to get their first debate operational. The later will not happen in round 2. Period.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 11:20:26 PM
At 4/21/2011 11:09:38 PM, Freeman wrote:

It's a lot of work. We're coordinating the actions of people from all over the country and even from around the world.

Some people dropped out of round one. And some people took a really long time to get their first debate operational. The later will not happen in round 2. Period.

How many people started out in the tournament?
:
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 11:24:07 PM
At 4/21/2011 10:53:19 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I don't think we've ever finished one before. The L-M Classic was as close as it got to finishing in my memory.

I thought that one finished
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 11:24:39 PM
You had another thread. Ill repeat my response here. I like the Freeman tournament because it's providing opportunities for good debaters to debate each other, no matter that it is taking a long time. Freeman deserves credit for recruiting a good list of debaters.

Freeman's tournament is taking a long time because the rules were not determined ahead of time. Some rule issues are:

1. How long is the signup period?
2, Is it single or double elimination?
3. How are opponents paired for each round?
4. How are topics chosen?
5. If a topic is not agreed upon, how is it resolved? (Suggest using the first issue in profile issues list on which the pair disagree.)
6. How much time is allowed to prepare and post a case before a forfeit is declared?
7. What happens when a person disappears?
8. Who votes to determine the tournament match winner? (e.g. only participants)
9, Is voting conventional or all seven points?
10. How long is the voting period?
11. Is any behavior disqualifying? How about declaring retribution as the reason?
12. Is arguing RFDs allowed?
13, Are comments by other tournament participants allowed while a debate is ongoing?
15, How many rounds in the debates?
16 What are the rules for burden of proof, dropped arguments, and other fine points?

There are probably other issues I've forgotten. The problem of disappearing participants is probably the worst one.

I think it would be helpful to have a set of standard tournament rules that resolves as many issues as possible.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 11:35:13 PM
While Roy is right to an extent, those issues took minimal time to resolve. 95% of the time waiting has been because debaters simply havent started on time. I think there should have been a time limit on starting right from the beginning. Of course, it shouldnt even be necessary, but apparently it was.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 11:37:32 PM
At 4/21/2011 11:24:39 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
You had another thread. Ill repeat my response here. I like the Freeman tournament because it's providing opportunities for good debaters to debate each other, no matter that it is taking a long time. Freeman deserves credit for recruiting a good list of debaters.

Freeman's tournament is taking a long time because the rules were not determined ahead of time. Some rule issues are:

1. How long is the signup period?
2, Is it single or double elimination?
3. How are opponents paired for each round?
4. How are topics chosen?
5. If a topic is not agreed upon, how is it resolved? (Suggest using the first issue in profile issues list on which the pair disagree.)
6. How much time is allowed to prepare and post a case before a forfeit is declared?
7. What happens when a person disappears?
8. Who votes to determine the tournament match winner? (e.g. only participants)
9, Is voting conventional or all seven points?
10. How long is the voting period?
11. Is any behavior disqualifying? How about declaring retribution as the reason?
12. Is arguing RFDs allowed?
13, Are comments by other tournament participants allowed while a debate is ongoing?
15, How many rounds in the debates?
16 What are the rules for burden of proof, dropped arguments, and other fine points?

There are probably other issues I've forgotten. The problem of disappearing participants is probably the worst one.

I think it would be helpful to have a set of standard tournament rules that resolves as many issues as possible.

These are all excellent points. Send me a PM. We can discuss them. :)

belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 12:24:49 AM

the only reason that one didn't end is cause L-M didn't want to admit that puck beat him :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 1:40:32 AM
Roy's list of questions is very helpful. I am planning on hosting my own debate tournament either after Freeman's or Maurador's tournaments are over. Having answers and rules already to Roy's questions will prove benficial. If anyone has any questions or complications which have arisen during a debate tournament I would be much obliged to hear them.
:
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 8:36:36 AM

Child, you are far too impatient. Just go with the flow, and hav fun with it.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 8:57:03 AM
I'm not trying to be a d!ck or anything but I'm pretty sure Freeman's debate tournament has been going since I joined DDO.

Organize one on on of your favorite topics like the existence of God for example, it is not as simple as you might think.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 12:35:20 PM
At 4/21/2011 11:05:51 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 4/21/2011 10:54:24 PM, Marauder wrote:

The freeman tournament #5 thread is for ideas and questions specifically related to the current round of the tournament.
questions like 'why's this round taking so long, whats the hold up?'
Also Freeman might not have an answer so I figured asking DDO members in general would prove more productive.
because he 'might' not have the answer you dont bother asking him at all in the first place in a private PM? and why would you expect the rest of us to know more about whats going on with his tournament than him.
And why do you care if I create a new thread? Is there some sort of limit? Am I wasting precious space on the DDO forum?
well, there is a phenomena where new members on this site sometimes get to where they are creating so many new threads with content that could have been put in existing ones that it's a lot like spam. Interrogator is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Now your not like interrogator yet, but your building a habit of making more threads than you are posting in existing ones.
Calm down bro.
was there something about my post that sounded enraged? (I wish I were enraged, being enraged is fun, Steven Colbert could tell you that)

And I'm not venting. I'm not angry, simply curious.

the 'simply curious' would have asked Freeman quietly in a PM when there not 'trying to be a d!ck'. but you come off as fundamentally different from that when you pick the most attention needy way of asking a question that can only be described as a complaint over something taking to long. If you don't want to 'be a d!ck' about what your 'curious' about don't pick the most public way to show your annoyance at Freeman's tournament take longer than you would like.

Now if you wanted to be d!ck and humiliate Freeman, than by all means make it as public as possible and if you can try never to talk to Freeman himself to show you do not care about the guy you are humiliating, least you start a trend of people thinking that his thoughts matter enough to converse with. But if you must talk to him, make sure it is public and not in a PM cause how can attention get on you there? how can you get sympathy from us for the annoyance you are suffering from if you ask Freeman in a PM?

Does that last part make any sense? I think it does. Please don't treat this like I mean it as an accusation of some kind, I'm just enlightening you to the courtesy of the PM, and its advantages and place over the forum thread.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 12:43:45 PM
Maurader
Freeman doesn't seem to me like he has been humiliated. Everyone knows that the tournament has been taking a while so I do t think pointing it out is going to hurt his feelings.

And again I'm not annoyed at Freeman or anyone in the tournament for the amount of time it has taken. I was simply curious. Calm down bro.
:
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 2:42:38 PM
Guys, this thread doesn't bother me at all. :P

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 2:58:20 PM
At 4/22/2011 2:42:38 PM, Freeman wrote:
Guys, this thread doesn't bother me at all. :P

Shhhh I want drama
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 5:21:28 PM

This is the final for the L-M classic, me vs Puck. It only ever got a handful of votes and one official judgement that I know of. http://www.debate.org...

The video rap battles tournament got completed.
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 6:58:50 PM

The first tournament I ran finished. TheLwerd (Danielle) got her $100 too.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 9:30:24 PM
At 4/22/2011 7:00:08 PM, Johnicle wrote:
Final Round: http://www.debate.org...

In your last tournament, technically lassiezfaire won via me forfeiting. In fact, it was pretty much just everyone forfeited until there was a winner.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...