Jump to topic:

The reason for the DDO elections

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 1:06:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've heard several times, during each election cycle, members ask, "What is the importance of the election? Is it nothing more than just a popularity contest?"

I've asked Julia if she could expand upon what the DDO elections mean to the staff of Juggle and I just received back her responce.

Hello OreEle,

I have been on vacation the last week with limited internet access which is why my responses to your messages have been delayed.

As far as the elections are concerned, we think it is best that we remain uninvolved in the election process. That approach eliminates any opportunity for bias or perceived favortism and leaves the results entirely in the hands of the members.

From our perspective, the results of those elections provide several members with the distinction of being elected as a representative or voice for the members' concerns, requests, issues, etc. We do value the feedback of the elected parties and hope that they are capable of gathering the consensus of members and relaying that to us for consideration. Keep in mind we may not implement every suggestion, but we will always consider its implementation.

We value feedback from every member and so the benefit of having elected members is that they can consolidate information, work with all of the members to gather consensus and relay that information to us. If the DDO president has no interest in doing that and simply pushes personal agendas, the perceived value of that position is decreased in our eyes and will become of equal importance as any other single member's feedback.

The final important point I will make is that while we do value the feeback, the elected president will not likely be granted any additional moderation or administrative access on the site. The position is solely based on acting as a representative of the members. As you frame the elections, feel free to clarify that the position is that of being a representative of many - a single point of contact to help gather the consensus of issues important to the members.

I believe that the final paragraph is probably the single most explanitory.

Thank you.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 1:12:33 PM
At 5/2/2011 1:10:41 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm still not sure there are enough active members on this site to justify electing a representative.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 1:15:17 PM
At 5/2/2011 1:10:41 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm still not sure there are enough active members on this site to justify electing a representative.

how many would be enough?

We have about 23,000 posts a month, with over 400 debates a month, from about 450 "active members".

"active members" is hard to identify. What are the exact qualifications? Where is the solid line (with no grey area) to make that determination?

However, since we have a 3rd party moderating system, it is slow for change to be implimented. To help make change we need to be able to funel our opinions and concentrate them through a single means.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 1:42:49 PM
There is a need for elected officials. Juggle takes no active role in the sites activities. No one is updating juggle about site issues except in random threads on the Debate.org forum that they may or may not read and have previously stated is a tedious process in going through to see what's been going on. I think monthly reports and a group of active members taking leadership roles to push for updates that we value along with bug reports and internal user issues (mafia mod list) is a good thing. Otherwise great features (optional curse filter) are too easily forgotten
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos