Jump to topic:

Debate Fans

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:12:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There was a time when DDO was very much a part of who I was. I'd check the site several times a day. At school, I'd think about it. Every so often, I'd even dream about the site in my sleep.

But since then, I've drifted away from the community. I rarely log in anymore, and when I do, it's even more rare that I participate. In fact, I've grown so distant from the site that today I realized, "Hey, I haven't thought about that one debate site for what must be a couple weeks now."

I take a quick glance through the forums and see that I don't recognize the majority of the names, which is fine, but I should probably introduce myself, so...

Hi, my name's PoeJoe. I used to be a regular around these parts, and I used to be pretty damn obsessed. I wrote a much ridiculed love poem to the site. I've been a part of much of this site's early controversies. I invented the term "DDC" (which eventually became "DDO") and brought the term "vote bomb" from the Newgrounds Audio Portal to here. I used to love this site so much that I even created the first real fansite: http://debatefans.com....

That's been a lot of prologue, but I finally arrive at the point I'd originally intended to make.

What reminded me DDO is a new website I've been working very hard on (a television review site called http://tvrot.com...) and how my knowledge of websites has vastly improved since my first attempt with Debate Fans.

Anyway, I should get to the point... I'm going to shut down Debate Fans in a few weeks, so if any of you want to gather some of the stuff on there, now would be the time to do it.

I'm not sure why exactly I've kept the site up for so long.

Maybe it's because of all the good memories.

Oh, well. All things have to end sometime.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:17:07 AM
At 5/3/2011 2:12:36 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
There was a time when DDO was very much a part of who I was. I'd check the site several times a day. At school, I'd think about it. Every so often, I'd even dream about the site in my sleep.

But since then, I've drifted away from the community. I rarely log in anymore, and when I do, it's even more rare that I participate. In fact, I've grown so distant from the site that today I realized, "Hey, I haven't thought about that one debate site for what must be a couple weeks now."

I take a quick glance through the forums and see that I don't recognize the majority of the names, which is fine, but I should probably introduce myself, so...

Hi, my name's PoeJoe. I used to be a regular around these parts, and I used to be pretty damn obsessed. I wrote a much ridiculed love poem to the site. I've been a part of much of this site's early controversies. I invented the term "DDC" (which eventually became "DDO") and brought the term "vote bomb" from the Newgrounds Audio Portal to here. I used to love this site so much that I even created the first real fansite: http://debatefans.com....

That's been a lot of prologue, but I finally arrive at the point I'd originally intended to make.

What reminded me DDO is a new website I've been working very hard on (a television review site called http://tvrot.com...) and how my knowledge of websites has vastly improved since my first attempt with Debate Fans.

Anyway, I should get to the point... I'm going to shut down Debate Fans in a few weeks, so if any of you want to gather some of the stuff on there, now would be the time to do it.

I'm not sure why exactly I've kept the site up for so long.

Maybe it's because of all the good memories.

Oh, well. All things have to end sometime.

Those were some good times. Do you have to take it down? Is it costing you?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:22:39 AM
At 5/3/2011 2:17:07 AM, jharry wrote:

That's the thing.

I used to use 1&1 Hosting (which sucks by the way). As part of my package, I was allowed two websites. So, along with my personal website, I used my second allowed website on Debate Fans.

Well, now that I've switched hosts to GoDaddy for my new website Television Rot, I no longer want to pay and use 1&1. I plan on creating a personal website with GoDaddy, too.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:25:23 AM
At 5/3/2011 2:22:39 AM, PoeJoe wrote:

That's the thing.

I used to use 1&1 Hosting (which sucks by the way). As part of my package, I was allowed two websites. So, along with my personal website, I used my second allowed website on Debate Fans.

Well, now that I've switched hosts to GoDaddy for my new website Television Rot, I no longer want to pay and use 1&1. I plan on creating a personal website with GoDaddy, too.

That sucks. There is a lot of history there. Someone could get the stuff there but it wouldn't be the same? Is the old forum still up?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:27:20 AM
At 5/3/2011 2:25:23 AM, jharry wrote:

That's the thing.

That sucks. There is a lot of history there. Someone could get the stuff there but it wouldn't be the same? Is the old forum still up?

The forum wasn't with me.

After the Debate Fans experiment ended (I grew a part from DDO), s0m31john and others created DDOFans.com. That's what you're thinking of, and that second incarnation has long been down.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:30:59 AM
At 5/3/2011 2:27:20 AM, PoeJoe wrote:

That's the thing.

The forum wasn't with me.

After the Debate Fans experiment ended (I grew a part from DDO), s0m31john and others created DDOFans.com. That's what you're thinking of, and that second incarnation has long been down.

I thought so, I found an old link but it didn't bring up anything. Maybe askbob will get into his wiki site. I dont know how all that stuff works, still won't be the same.

I read about the whole Cirro theybannedme.com thing a while back. That was when this site was actually interesting.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:32:51 AM
Askbob definitely already knows how to do this (I hope you mailed him about it Poejoe? He's suspect number one after all) but if anyone else wants to preserve that on their hard drive, I figure looking here might be a good start:

http://www.httrack.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:39:03 AM
At 5/3/2011 2:32:51 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Askbob definitely already knows how to do this (I hope you mailed him about it Poejoe? He's suspect number one after all) but if anyone else wants to preserve that on their hard drive, I figure looking here might be a good start:

Cool, that looks really simple. So it would be nearly impossible for me. Askbob could and maybe load to wiki? Probably doesn't work that way.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:42:02 AM
Heh heh... looking through old posts...

Random thoughts: I used to suck a lot more at writing... I used to be quite obsessed with Phil and WebCorp... most of that was played up as a joke, but still... haha, all the controversy used to mean so much to me, and now it feels sort of irrelevant... haha, good times.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:46:22 AM
At 5/3/2011 2:42:02 AM, PoeJoe wrote:

Random thoughts: I used to suck a lot more at writing... I used to be quite obsessed with Phil and WebCorp... most of that was played up as a joke, but still... haha, all the controversy used to mean so much to me, and now it feels sort of irrelevant... haha, good times.

A toast to good memories, then?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:46:31 AM

Irrelevant indeed. But it was better then now. I think Phil liked it too, but he would never admit it.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:47:29 AM
At 5/3/2011 2:46:22 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Indeed.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:56:28 AM
At 5/3/2011 2:47:29 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 5/3/2011 2:46:22 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Indeed.

CIN CIN!

alla goccia
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 10:49:15 AM

That's the thing.

you're thinking of my fans site. I will archive your info PoeJoe on wednesday thanks for the advance notice
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 10:50:19 AM
At 5/3/2011 2:32:51 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

this will be easier than doing screenshots, thanks R_R
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 10:59:01 AM
At 5/3/2011 10:49:15 AM, askbob wrote:

That's the thing.

you're thinking of my fans site. I will archive your info PoeJoe on wednesday thanks for the advance notice

I might be mistaken but wasn't there a forum setup before the forums were up on debate.com? I think it is where britt originally started the debate cookbook or something. It was before either of us came here. It may have been started by Rezz and John. I could be wrong though.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 11:02:16 AM
At 5/3/2011 10:59:01 AM, jharry wrote:
I might be mistaken but wasn't there a forum setup before the forums were up on debate.com?

that's www.debatef.com started by som31john to the best of my knowledge. First forums of debate.org
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 1:46:23 PM
i have the site archived and it's good to shut down whenever