Jump to topic:

Vote Bombing and Multi Accounts

Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 8:13:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think the vote system should be changed to a 1 point vote system. This would help with the vote bombing.

Anybody have any good ideas on how to better prevent multi accounts?
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 8:39:40 PM
At 5/5/2011 8:13:55 PM, Lionheart wrote:
I think the vote system should be changed to a 1 point vote system. This would help with the vote bombing.

Vote bombing definitely is a problem, but if it was 1 point system than people wouldn't care as much about conduct, spelling/grammar and sources. Vote bombing quite often gets countered anyway.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 9:12:40 PM
Well, I feel that your vote would include all of those things when you make your decision. The current vote system gives a single member too much influence over the deciding factor. If someone gives all the points to one person then it is considered vote bombing. If someone wants to vote for their friend then it is just as valid as any other reason for voting, just as it is in real life. You vote for your own reasons, but everyone's vote counts. The multi point voting system would be great if it was done correctly with a more strict authentication verification, ensuring that only one person could vote one time... But this is not the case. This is the problem.

Spelling, who had better conduct, etc. These things are great and all... But this isn't an english class, this isn't a site for how proper you are, this is a debating site.

What really matters is who's argument you agree with the most when the debate is finished.

Weighing the Pros and Cons of changing the vote system... I think a 1 point vote system would give the members more justice.

- Lionheart -
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 9:21:52 PM
Want to debate?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 9:46:23 PM
I don't really care to debate about it.. I don't have anything more to say than what I already have actually. I'm just hoping to help prevent some of the craziness that's going on throughout this website.

Today I got threatened to have all my personal information disclosed throughout the forums by a member of this site. His accusations were completely false. Situations like the one I was in today need to be stopped at all costs. Disclosing people's personal information is illegal, but hackers like to feel powerful and threaten to do it anyway. The owners of this site will have to get involved sooner or later. If not, legal actions will inevitably result. It's just a matter of pissing off the wrong person and the wrong time.

If some tweaks to the system can be made in an effort to make the site more enjoyable and safe for everyone, then I am all for it. No matter what those tweaks might be.

- Lionheart -
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 9:48:38 PM
At 5/5/2011 9:46:23 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Today I got threatened to have all my personal information disclosed throughout the forums by a member of this site.

You also threatened to vote bomb that same members debates for the mere reason that he corrected vote-bombing on your debate. Lesson learned: don't threaten others on this site unless you want a worse threat in return.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 10:08:07 PM

Today I got threatened to have all my personal information disclosed throughout the forums by a member of this site.

There is no reason to tolerate this if you do not want to, if you do not know how to stop it then send me a PM.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 10:11:51 PM
At 5/5/2011 10:08:07 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

There is no reason to tolerate this if you do not want to, if you do not know how to stop it then send me a PM.

Cliff Stamp, I'll be honest. You're an oversensitive douche.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 10:22:12 PM
Dude, you are the one who vote bombed me first. Eye for an eye. You can't just do whatever you want without consequence. You became the very thing that you hunt askbob.

You became a vote bomber for no good reason. Somebody can give me 7 points because they feel I deserve it. Every person that gives 7 points on a vote isn't a damn vote bomber. I have given people 7 points on multiple occasions. That is why the vote system is there... To use it. To vote how they see fit. If you don't like the vote system or think it is unfair, then take it up with the site owners. But sabotaging everyone's debates and threatening to disclose personal information? That is not any way to deal with the problem. You are becoming a problem by acting in such a way.

I was minding my own business this morning then all of a sudden I got askbob jumping down my throat about why some member named Shrek65 is giving me 7 points! I don't know askbob... why don't you go ask HIM why he gave me 7 points! And voting for someone with 7 points is not a crime and it's not unfair... It is how they set up the damn voting system!

Did you ever think about this... You are vote bombing people. And your unjustified actions made me want to vote bomb you. Maybe it is the same reason why other people are vote bombing. Because of people like you. You might be the source of the problem, not the solution.

So if you really want to help. Then talk to the site owners and operators about the stuff that is going on and how they could change it to prevent things like this from happening. But you are not any better than the people you hunt by acting in the way you do.

I go on this sight to have discussions about ideas, opinions, random thoughts, views, etc. I don't give a damn about vote bombing somebody. But you can't go jumping down people's throat for giving 7 points. That's ridiculous. That's the way the creators set the voting system up. It's not your website.

- Lionheart -
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 10:31:00 PM
At 5/5/2011 10:22:12 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Dude, you are the one who vote bombed me first.
I corrected shrek65's votebomb on behalf of nerdykillers request dipshitt

Eye for an eye. You can't just do whatever you want without consequence.
Yes I can, and I do

You became the very thing that you hunt askbob.
Correcting votebombing is not the same thing as votebombing

You became a vote bomber for no good reason.
There was a good reason, and that reason was to correct vote bombing

Somebody can give me 7 points because they feel I deserve it.
Then the RFD would have reflected that, instead it was a bunch of random symbols

Every person that gives 7 points on a vote isn't a damn vote bomber.
This is correct.

I have given people 7 points on multiple occasions. That is why the vote system is there... To use it. To vote how they see fit.
Yup

If you don't like the vote system or think it is unfair, then take it up with the site owners.
But I like the voting system

But sabotaging everyone's debates and threatening to disclose personal information?
I really don't think correcting shrek's votebomb could be classified as sabotage. And if you threaten to votebomb me, I'll threaten to disclose your person information. If you votebomb me, then I'll disclose your personal information.

That is not any way to deal with the problem. You are becoming a problem by acting in such a way.

So correcting (annulling) the original problem is no way to fix the problem?

I was minding my own business this morning then all of a sudden I got askbob jumping down my throat about why some member named Shrek65 is giving me 7 points! I don't know askbob... why don't you go ask HIM why he gave me 7 points!
I simply asked why he voted all 7 points for you, i wouldn't call that jumping down your throat.

And voting for someone with 7 points is not a crime and it's not unfair... It is how they set up the damn voting system!

Voting for someone 7 points without a reason is unfair, and it's an abuse of the voting system.

Did you ever think about this... You are vote bombing people.
but i'm not vote bombing people.

And your unjustified actions made me want to vote bomb you.
they are not in anyway unjusified

Maybe it is the same reason why other people are vote bombing. Because of people like you. You might be the source of the problem, not the solution.

No i'm the solution.

So if you really want to help. Then talk to the site owners and operators about the stuff that is going on and how they could change it to prevent things like this from happening. But you are not any better than the people you hunt by acting in the way you do.

No I'm much better

I go on this sight to have discussions about ideas, opinions, random thoughts, views, etc. I don't give a damn about vote bombing somebody. But you can't go jumping down people's throat for giving 7 points. That's ridiculous. That's the way the creators set the voting system up.
Are you attempting to say that the website's owners setup the website so people could be unfairly voted upon by multi-accounts? I don't think so

It's not your website.
Oh really
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 10:46:31 PM

I think we should make voting decisions required so when people explain why they voted a certain way they will be less inclined to vote unfairly if they are forced to explain their voting decision.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 10:48:10 PM
At 5/5/2011 10:46:31 PM, quarterexchange wrote:

I think we should make voting decisions required so when people explain why they voted a certain way they will be less inclined to vote unfairly if they are forced to explain their voting decision.

It should also require a minimum amount of characters like maybe 50 or 100, before you are allowed to vote.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 10:52:59 PM
At 5/5/2011 10:48:10 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/5/2011 10:46:31 PM, quarterexchange wrote:

It should also require a minimum amount of characters like maybe 50 or 100, before you are allowed to vote.

the starter of the debate can make them a requirement. I agree with the character minimum but the same votebombers would just type out "xalsjdflaskjdf" but a character minimum is definitely a step in the right direction.
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 10:57:44 PM
How do you know that the 7 points were not fair? Who says that it was vote bombing? You? Just because somebody put some random symbols in their reasoning doesn't mean that the points should not count. Every member should be able to vote with 7 points if they see fit... It doesn't matter if you think their damn reasoning is good enough or not. And who decides if an account is a multi account? You?

You wrote me a message calling me a dumbass. Well... The only dumbass I see here is you. Your the one acting like the judge of all the debates on Debate.org. You are the one acting out on people.

I was the one minding my own business this morning when you accused me of multi accounting. I didn't have any problems with this site until you entered my life. People like you are the problem, not the solution. You are the one making false accusations, not me. You are the dumbass, not me.

You soil your own reputation with your actions and your words.

- Lionheart -
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:00:47 PM
At 5/5/2011 10:57:44 PM, Lionheart wrote:
How do you know that the 7 points were not fair? Who says that it was vote bombing? You?
when the reason for decision is : "asdfwe" then yes

Just because somebody put some random symbols in their reasoning doesn't mean that the points should not count.
yes it does mean their points should not count

Every member should be able to vote with 7 points if they see fit... It doesn't matter if you think their damn reasoning is good enough or not. And who decides if an account is a multi account? You?

Yes

You wrote me a message calling me a dumbass. Well... The only dumbass I see here is you. Your the one acting like the judge of all the debates on Debate.org. You are the one acting out on people.

You are a dumbass
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:07:47 PM
Ok askbob... You tell me then...

What intelligent justifiable reason do you have for calling me a dumbass?

For defending myself against you?

- Lionheart -
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:14:14 PM
Lionheart I don't want a war.
I just thought that shrek65's vote was unfair.
What kind of reason is " fsakdhf"?
You don't have to be all up in askbob's face because he tried to make the votes right again.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:15:57 PM
At 5/5/2011 11:07:47 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Ok askbob... You tell me then...

What intelligent justifiable reason do you have for calling me a dumbass?

For defending myself against you?

Of course not. I'm calling you a dumbass because you evidently are a dumbass
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:16:00 PM
At 5/5/2011 11:14:14 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
You don't have to be all up in askbob's face because he tried to make the votes right again.

lol have time to post eh?

and I agree with this although I'm never against a good war
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:17:29 PM
At 5/5/2011 11:16:00 PM, headphonegut wrote:

WAR? Did someone say war?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:18:14 PM
At 5/5/2011 10:57:44 PM, Lionheart wrote:
How do you know that the 7 points were not fair? Who says that it was vote bombing? You? Just because somebody put some random symbols in their reasoning doesn't mean that the points should not count. Every member should be able to vote with 7 points if they see fit... It doesn't matter if you think their damn reasoning is good enough or not. And who decides if an account is a multi account? You?

I was the one minding my own business this morning when you accused me of multi accounting. I didn't have any problems with this site until you entered my life. People like you are the problem, not the solution. You are the one making false accusations, not me. You are the dumbass, not me.
Dude Askbob is one of the best debater on this website.
Askbob is a problem???
No he is someone that just loves to debate.

You soil your own reputation with your actions and your words.

His reputation as a debater is not going to be soiled.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:18:40 PM
At 5/5/2011 11:16:00 PM, headphonegut wrote:

Perhaps it's just me, but I think that war, conflict, controversy--they're all really good for this site, once you get down to it. They're fun, interesting, and engaging, at any rate.
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:19:53 PM

Guys when I said war I meant lets not get in to a fight...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:20:44 PM
At 5/5/2011 11:18:14 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
Dude Askbob is one of the best debater on this website.

I wouldn't give me that much credit, I'm a decent to mediocre debater. There are far more articulate people on this site than I.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:21:22 PM
At 5/5/2011 11:19:53 PM, nerdykiller wrote:

Guys when I said war I meant lets not get in to a fight...

You haven't been here long enough to understand the politics of the site, brah. Chill out, kick back, and enjoy.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:33:04 PM
Askbob does seem to anger people sometimes doesn't he.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:37:47 PM
At 5/5/2011 11:33:04 PM, phantom wrote:
Askbob does seem to anger people sometimes doesn't he.

Yes he does, he makes it WAY to easy.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:40:00 PM

I didn't get in askbob's business... He got in mine.

He came accusing me of multi accounting as Shrek65 and then vote bombed my debate. You see, even though this Shrek65 guy might have wrote in jibberish for his vote reasoning... atleast I can see that in the comments of that debate he DID have a reason for his vote. He agreed with my point of view and disagreed strongly with my opponent. Now, in askbob's case... I KNOW he vote bombed me because he admitted it. Shrek65 wasn't vote bombing he just strongly disagreed with my opponent. That's why he gave me 7 points. And it is not a crime or unfair to give 7 points as a vote.

Either way, someone typing symbols does not mean they are vote bombing. It just means they are a dumbass. If someone wanted to vote bomb, they could just as easily make up a fake one sentence reason for their vote. You can't stop that now can you askbob? You gonna just go around accusing everyone of vote bombing and multi accounting wherever you see fit? That makes you an arrogant and ignorant jagoff.

I don't like people making false accusations towards me and I don't like my debates being sabotaged by egotistical self righteous jagoffs.

- Lionheart -