Jump to topic:

So what's happened to DDO?

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:08:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Some of our most prominent and interesting members have left, mafia sucks now, and there seems to be a general dumbing down of the forums from where it once was. I see such lack of interest now so that the feeds just crawl where they once were hopping. People are making occasional visits, check in (if that) and leave.

I know that DDO goes through different phases, and has had lulls before, but i haven't seen it quite like this. I know that exams account for some of it, but i really see a drop off of members like C_N, Volkov, Nags, JBlake, Kleptin, danielle, and so many others to have made the site from extraordinary to mediorcre. In some of my PM's with other members, they too are looking at spending less time here.

So what's going on? Just time to move on? If so, and there is another site, please let me know where that is, because i am less compelled to spend time here as well. Am i the only one who notices this?

Summer break might bring a bit more life to the site, but i dunno. Like i said, it could be just me, and maybe the influx of new members will just sort of replace out the old ones.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:15:46 PM
I agree, and I see this happening too.

Part of it seems sad in that many enjoyable members are leaving. I think part of the reason is that the site has been stagnant for so long, people are just tired of debating the same members over and over again on the same topics over and over again. Though that was likely the first wave of people leaving (more likely a slow trickle). Once we began have a new wave of new members, we have people that prefered the old ways and old members and old debates, and leave because they don't like the new.

I just wish that we still had contact with some of those great old members, so that if the site changes, we could shoot them an email, or a facebook message saying "hey, we've made a lot of changes since you left. Maybe you've found another home, or maybe you are still looking, but it would be really cool if you could stop by and see if we are back to our former glory, or if not, give us some feedback on how we can improve."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:18:30 PM
I have noticed this as well there are less interesting debates, and the forums have become less interesting. I too had gone through a phase where I spent less time its a share to see less of the regulars.
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:21:08 PM
At 5/9/2011 5:15:46 PM, OreEle wrote:

Part of it seems sad in that many enjoyable members are leaving. I think part of the reason is that the site has been stagnant for so long, people are just tired of debating the same members over and over again on the same topics over and over again. Though that was likely the first wave of people leaving (more likely a slow trickle). Once we began have a new wave of new members, we have people that prefered the old ways and old members and old debates, and leave because they don't like the new.

I just wish that we still had contact with some of those great old members, so that if the site changes, we could shoot them an email, or a facebook message saying "hey, we've made a lot of changes since you left. Maybe you've found another home, or maybe you are still looking, but it would be really cool if you could stop by and see if we are back to our former glory, or if not, give us some feedback on how we can improve."

A lot are connected, but not all. I doubt anyone is connected to C_N, and although not loved, he contributed a lot. I'm connected to some, who are connected to others, but the problem is, if it got better who would be around from the old times to bring anyone else back?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:25:37 PM
At 5/9/2011 5:21:08 PM, innomen wrote:
At 5/9/2011 5:15:46 PM, OreEle wrote:

A lot are connected, but not all. I doubt anyone is connected to C_N, and although not loved, he contributed a lot. I'm connected to some, who are connected to others, but the problem is, if it got better who would be around from the old times to bring anyone else back?

Well, hopefully not everyone leaves, and those that stay last will stay long enough to forge new connections before they take their leave.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:28:36 PM
At 5/9/2011 5:18:30 PM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
I have noticed this as well there are less interesting debates, and the forums have become less interesting. I too had gone through a phase where I spent less time its a share to see less of the regulars.

Dude, you don't even go here.
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:32:45 PM
I have not been on this site very long, but I see that such a site could be so much better than what it is. There could be so much more quality. My strong opinions have been problematic in the past, so I will keep it to a small growl... But I would love to find a site similar to this, but better.

Maybe it would be a good idea if you could create a group on this site. And only people that are part of that group could participate in the forums the group posts? Maybe this would create a mysterious effect towards members wanting to become better in order to be accepted into the group they like. Kind of like a frat house or sorority house in college. Competition breeds quality.

Thoughts?
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:43:47 PM
Dude, you don't even go here. I have been here for 8 months and I read the forums allot, just because I don't post doesn't mean I'm not active
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:47:24 PM
At 5/9/2011 5:32:45 PM, Lionheart wrote:
I have not been on this site very long, but I see that such a site could be so much better than what it is. There could be so much more quality. My strong opinions have been problematic in the past, so I will keep it to a small growl... But I would love to find a site similar to this, but better.

Maybe it would be a good idea if you could create a group on this site. And only people that are part of that group could participate in the forums the group posts? Maybe this would create a mysterious effect towards members wanting to become better in order to be accepted into the group they like. Kind of like a frat house or sorority house in college. Competition breeds quality.

Thoughts?

Spoken like capitalist scum.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:48:38 PM
At 5/9/2011 5:47:24 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Thoughts?

Spoken like capitalist scum.

lol
kfc
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:49:14 PM
A few comments related to forum growth :

-Stop the extreme newb-sniping.

-Stop the "spam debate" retaliation for new members who are young and want to have fun and make some not overly serious debates

-Stop the completely insane response of dropping the banhammer and harassment to young members who make a few minor offenses

If the forum is to grow it has to be a place where young members can come in and be welcomed and brought into the community. Yes they may make a few mistakes, but if you keep kicking them for minor infractions out then eventually it will left to a few people very happy with themselves that they have a very well ordered site which just has a large echo.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:52:10 PM
At 5/9/2011 5:08:47 PM, innomen wrote:
Some of our most prominent and interesting members have left, mafia sucks now, and there seems to be a general dumbing down of the forums from where it once was. I see such lack of interest now so that the feeds just crawl where they once were hopping. People are making occasional visits, check in (if that) and leave.

I know that DDO goes through different phases, and has had lulls before, but i haven't seen it quite like this. I know that exams account for some of it, but i really see a drop off of members like C_N, Volkov, Nags, JBlake, Kleptin, danielle, and so many others to have made the site from extraordinary to mediorcre. In some of my PM's with other members, they too are looking at spending less time here.

So what's going on? Just time to move on? If so, and there is another site, please let me know where that is, because i am less compelled to spend time here as well. Am i the only one who notices this?

Summer break might bring a bit more life to the site, but i dunno. Like i said, it could be just me, and maybe the influx of new members will just sort of replace out the old ones.

Finals week + summer affairs
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:53:55 PM
Kind of like a frat house or sorority house in college. Competition breeds quality.

Certainly, so we could reap the kind of quality that emits from those illustrious institutions.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:55:14 PM
At 5/9/2011 5:49:14 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

-Stop the "spam debate" retaliation for new members who are young and want to have fun and make some not overly serious debates

-Stop the completely insane response of dropping the banhammer and harassment to young members who make a few minor offenses

If the forum is to grow it has to be a place where young members can come in and be welcomed and brought into the community.

Nickelodeon forums are --------------------------------> that way bro
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 5:57:49 PM

Cliff didn't use a full stop, I think he should be banned :)

Maybe DDO needs to be advertised more, how many people know about DDO ? For instance there are lots of web sites/forums where people get into arguments, but its only post after post and not a real debate.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:04:52 PM
At 5/9/2011 5:57:49 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Cliff didn't use a full stop, I think he should be banned :)

Maybe DDO needs to be advertised more, how many people know about DDO ? For instance there are lots of web sites/forums where people get into arguments, but its only post after post and not a real debate.

I agree with this point whole-heartedly. We need to have a twitter account, myspace, account, an active facebook, and also an active but more subtle presence on sites like YikYak
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:14:17 PM
At 5/9/2011 5:55:14 PM, askbob wrote:

If the forum is to grow it has to be a place where young members can come in and be welcomed and brought into the community.

He's right. If you want to help DDO forums. Stop logging on to them.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:14:40 PM
At 5/9/2011 6:14:17 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

I'm addressing askdolf hitler.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:16:38 PM

lol or just don't put up with spammers so legitimate members will find this as a legitimate site, LRN2 recognize a target audience.

If spamming and multi-accounting goes to crap and the voting system lacks integrity, you'll lose many more active members who are actually valuable.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:19:23 PM
At 5/9/2011 6:16:38 PM, askbob wrote:
lol or just don't put up with spammers so legitimate members will find this as a legitimate site, LRN2 recognize a target audience.

If spamming and multi-accounting goes to crap and the voting system lacks integrity, you'll lose many more active members who are actually valuable.

This.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:20:44 PM

If spamming and multis become such a big problem the mods will definitely take care of it. But its not, so instead of putting up the facade that DDO hates newcomers, give a welcoming hand, or our community is going to shrink considerably.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:24:34 PM
At 5/9/2011 6:20:44 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

If spamming and multis become such a big problem the mods will definitely take care of it. But its not, so instead of putting up the facade that DDO hates newcomers, give a welcoming hand, or our community is going to shrink considerably.

It already is. Post count is at its lowest since I've been tracking it, and active membership is down. We may end up dipping below the 4,000 mark (on 7 day running totals of posts), the lowest we've been (since March) was 4,662. Today we are at 4,314, and we've been dropping about 150 posts/day ever day for the last 10 days (from our high of 6,121).
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:43:33 PM
People are tired of the drama. Members don't want to come on to a site where there is constant threats and accusations. It takes all the enjoyment out of the site.

I am thinking of creating a new website, a website that has a new vision for what a debate/discussion website can be.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestion, let me know. Does anybody think that charging a small fee would keep some of the craziness out? Maybe $1.99 a month? I would pay this for a better experience. I spend a lot of time on this website.

Let me know your thoughts. I'll check on here or send me a PM.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:45:16 PM
At 5/9/2011 6:24:34 PM, OreEle wrote:

It already is. Post count is at its lowest since I've been tracking it, and active membership is down. We may end up dipping below the 4,000 mark (on 7 day running totals of posts), the lowest we've been (since March) was 4,662. Today we are at 4,314, and we've been dropping about 150 posts/day ever day for the last 10 days (from our high of 6,121).

The situation is grim....

Askbob: "I GOT A GREAT IDEA GUYS, LETS RUTHLESSLY ATTACK MEMBERS SO WE CAN HAVE OLD AND RESPECTED MEMBERS RULE THE SITE MWAHAhA"
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:47:17 PM
At 5/9/2011 6:45:16 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 5/9/2011 6:24:34 PM, OreEle wrote:

The situation is grim....

Askbob: "I GOT A GREAT IDEA GUYS, LETS RUTHLESSLY ATTACK MEMBERS SO WE CAN HAVE OLD AND RESPECTED MEMBERS RULE THE SITE MWAHAhA"

Sounds a lot like yick yak.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:50:06 PM
lmao

the site is slowing down because for college and highschool students it's finals week/transitioning to summer. I'd say about 90% of our active members are in either. It's not because I called out 10 people on multi-accounting and creating spam debates.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:56:39 PM
At 5/9/2011 6:50:06 PM, askbob wrote:
lmao

the site is slowing down because for college and highschool students it's finals week/transitioning to summer. I'd say about 90% of our active members are in either. It's not because I called out 10 people on multi-accounting and creating spam debates.

This.
BTW what does Imao mean?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:56:56 PM
At 5/9/2011 6:50:06 PM, askbob wrote:
lmao

First off....its may.

Second, your using these ten people as an example. Showing new members who runs the show. Like a Nazi Sergeant shooting one prisoner to show to the others not to act up.