Jump to topic:

Interest in written/exchange debates

Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:24:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
For the past couple of weeks I have been emailing and talking to people in various academic fields, unfortunately I am no longer actively researching but luckily I still have my academic email address and that has a decent SPAM bypass ability.

The general consensus and response is better than I expected and I think it may be possible to have some written exchange debates. I am talking about having some people who are actively researching in various areas participate in an exchange.

Note that these debates would be expected to be slow as in you submit a response (via email) and they respond back maybe a week or so later. If there is any interest in this then let me know, it only takes a few calls/emails to try to move forward.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 6:29:41 PM
At 5/9/2011 6:24:37 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
For the past couple of weeks I have been emailing and talking to people in various academic fields, unfortunately I am no longer actively researching but luckily I still have my academic email address and that has a decent SPAM bypass ability.

The general consensus and response is better than I expected and I think it may be possible to have some written exchange debates. I am talking about having some people who are actively researching in various areas participate in an exchange.

Note that these debates would be expected to be slow as in you submit a response (via email) and they respond back maybe a week or so later. If there is any interest in this then let me know, it only takes a few calls/emails to try to move forward.

Would they be alright knowing that the debates are intended for public viewing and might be posted on the forums?
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 7:01:41 PM
As expected, insightful comment. That is obvious from the start as a constraint and it is one of the main concerns with some of the topics. It is trivial to have a discussion on the phone, or if you live locally, you can drop in and talk to them (academics are rarely as busy as they pretend), but public statements can come back to haunt you, so much care would need to be taken in the debates.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 7:17:04 PM
At 5/9/2011 7:10:02 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Sounds fun.

I started this about a couple of weeks ago because specifically I was thinking of particular interactions, one of them was you debating Ray Comfort.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 7:29:36 PM
At 5/9/2011 7:17:04 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Sounds fun.

I started this about a couple of weeks ago because specifically I was thinking of particular interactions, one of them was you debating Ray Comfort.

Oohhh, that'd be awesome. I don't really follow him that much (read: at all) - do you know if he debates specific biblical/theological topics like inerrantism, hell/salvation, genesis interpretation and the like? That's banana man, right?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 8:09:13 PM
At 5/9/2011 7:29:36 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/9/2011 7:17:04 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Sounds fun.

Oohhh, that'd be awesome. I don't really follow him that much (read: at all) - do you know if he debates specific biblical/theological topics like inerrantism, hell/salvation, genesis interpretation and the like? That's banana man, right?

I seriously doubt the Banana Man has any idea what those terms even mean.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 8:11:33 PM
Sounds like a great idea.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 10:52:14 PM
At 5/9/2011 8:45:35 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
I wanna debate this dummy: http://www.washingtonpost.com...

I'm gonna harass his email address.

Dear Mr. Gerson,

I recently read your piece in the Washington Post on drug legalization. I'm wondering if you'd be interested in debating me on the topic over at Debate.Org. I'm a freshman neuroscience major/philosophy minor at Kalamazoo college. I debated competitively in high school, and continue to do so recreationally in my free time. You can view my debate profile here: http://www.debate.org...

Debate.Org allows people from all over the world to come together and discuss important issues. Users espouse a wide range of positions on topics ranging from metaphysics to Lady GaGa. I look forward to your response!

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Kenyon
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 11:02:02 PM
@Jeff - He's going to blow you off, man. When criticized, they always puss out.

@Cliff - I think this would be a great way to bring positive attention to DDO, though I don't think I could hold up too well against actual academics. I would like to read some of these debates if possible; I'd definitely like to see how PCP would hold up against some professional philosophy scholars.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 11:03:47 PM
I'd love to try in anything in the area of economics/finance if there is anything, if not i'm willing to research new areas. Most likely will be housed but I'd like to do it for the learning
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 11:16:39 PM
At 5/9/2011 11:02:02 PM, Grape wrote:

I know, that's not the point. I'm winning a moral victory.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 11:21:40 PM
At 5/9/2011 11:16:39 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

I'm going to post in the comments section of his story, too. If anyone wants to supply /b/lackup by "liking" my post or saying something like "yeah, you should totally debate that punk kid. Put his heroin addicted a$$ in its place," it would be much appreciated. You get bonus points if he responds to me in the comments.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 11:30:33 PM
At 5/9/2011 11:21:40 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

I'm going to post in the comments section of his story, too. If anyone wants to supply /b/lackup by "liking" my post or saying something like "yeah, you should totally debate that punk kid. Put his heroin addicted a$$ in its place," it would be much appreciated. You get bonus points if he responds to me in the comments.

WHen is soon? How long can it take? I'll respond immediately if you post.
Open borders debate:
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 11:32:05 PM
At 5/9/2011 11:30:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/9/2011 11:21:40 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

WHen is soon? How long can it take? I'll respond immediately if you post.

I'll post in about two minutes.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 11:38:06 PM

@Cliff - I think this would be a great way to bring positive attention to DDO, though I don't think I could hold up too well against actual academics. I would like to read some of these debates if possible; I'd definitely like to see how PCP would hold up against some professional philosophy scholars.

Depends on who and what subject but i'd likely get destroyed. Most of these guys and gals have been doing this for decades. Then again, I've debated a pro before and the general consensus was that the debate was a wash..... *shrug*
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 11:38:58 PM
At 5/9/2011 11:38:06 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Depends on who and what subject but i'd likely get destroyed. Most of these guys and gals have been doing this for decades. Then again, I've debated a pro before and the general consensus was that the debate was a wash..... *shrug*

You said you'd link me to that debate! I wanna read it...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 11:42:28 PM
At 5/9/2011 11:36:29 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 5/9/2011 11:32:05 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

K, post is up.

Your not MDLaxer by any chance? I can't find your post.
Open borders debate:
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 11:47:30 PM
At 5/9/2011 11:42:28 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/9/2011 11:36:29 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 5/9/2011 11:32:05 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

K, post is up.

Your not MDLaxer by any chance? I can't find your post.

Should be near the top and fairly easy to pick out:

Hi, Mr. Gerson.

I don't think your article accurately represents either the libertarian case for drug legalization, or Dr. Paul's own position. I'm wondering if you'd be interested in debating the topic of drug legalization with me over at Debate.Org. I'm a freshman neuroscience major/philosophy minor at Kalamazoo college with an interest in politics. I debated competitively in high school, and continue to do so recreationally in my free time. You can view my debate profile here: http://www.debate.org...

Debate.Org allows people from all over the world to come together and discuss important issues. Users espouse a wide range of positions on topics ranging from metaphysics to Lady GaGa. I look forward to your response!

J. Kenyon
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 12:00:14 AM
At 5/9/2011 10:52:14 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Dear Mr. Gerson,

I recently read your piece in the Washington Post on drug legalization. I'm wondering if you'd be interested in debating me on the topic over at Debate.Org. I'm a freshman neuroscience major/philosophy minor at Kalamazoo college. I debated competitively in high school, and continue to do so recreationally in my free time. You can view my debate profile here: http://www.debate.org...

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Kenyon

sounds almost like an advertisement.
Open borders debate:
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 12:03:43 AM
At 5/10/2011 12:00:14 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/9/2011 10:52:14 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Dear Mr. Gerson,

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Kenyon

sounds almost like an advertisement.

That was to his email address, not the message I posted in the comments. My *.edu email address gives me credibility.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 12:50:24 AM
I don't think that informal written debates would be too interesting. It's likely to end up like any other forum discussion. I suppose it would depend on who is recruited and what the subject is, so a home run is possible.

I watch Congressional hearings on C-SPAN regularly. The best are when there are really good opposing experts on a topic. Then it's like a debate. One of the things that comes out is how very little the Congress people know about any particular topic. There people on the House Finance Committee who don't know how to read a corporate balance sheet. Other times, one of the experts on a panel of four called to testify turns out to know ten times as much as everyone else in the room combined. That's fun to watch.

Maybe we could get some people from outside the site to debate using the regular debate format. For example, maybe the campaign staff of candidate X could line someone up to defend X's position on say, healthcare, against someone defending candidate Y's position.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:02:12 AM
At 5/10/2011 12:50:24 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Maybe we could get some people from outside the site to debate using the regular debate format. For example, maybe the campaign staff of candidate X could line someone up to defend X's position on say, healthcare, against someone defending candidate Y's position.

That would be kind of awesome, not to mention a great way to bring more traffic to DDO.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 10:08:16 AM

@Cliff - I think this would be a great way to bring positive attention to DDO, though I don't think I could hold up too well against actual academics.

Yes you would, your debate kung-fu is strong and your ability to research is solid.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 10:10:48 AM
At 5/9/2011 7:29:36 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

do you know if he debates specific biblical/theological topics like inerrantism, hell/salvation, genesis interpretation and the like?

Yes, but it does not mean what you think it means. Yes, that is the "this is the atheist nightmare guy". To his defense, he argues that was intended to be a joke, and you can find video's of him using it and it is perfectly clear that he was doing it for a laugh.