Total Posts:54|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The DDO codes of chivalry, honor, and ethics.

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:28:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
From reading thru some of the 'whats happining to DDO thread, it seems to be the consensus from several of our biggest members that there is strong amount of rude behavior here on DDO, the general uncivil tone is a turn off to this site, causeing many to get burnt out to being active here at all after they have been here for like over a year or two now.

I will testify that I agree with this consensus, and apologize for my likely having contributed to it. think we all get impulsive thoughts to say things (especially when in heated debate) that when communicating in person we would wisely keep ourselves from saying, but the imposition that keeps us from doing that is hindered over the computer.

I think this site would benefit greatly from a more civil tone in keeping the older members from burning out from this site, and keeping the newer members from leaving shortly after seeing how things work here.

So I propose we create a set of rules, a code of chivalrous debate behavior that we all contribute to defining. This code will include what we would think would make the perfect most respectable DDO'er, the Sir Galahad of DDO. It would include general definitions of how to debate with Honor in both the forums and the debates, how to honorably use the PM's, and the forum threads, and the comment section of your debates and other peoples debates and in your vote for other peoples debates.

and example of such a code might be..
1) Do not start debates, accept them, or sign up for mafia games you cant finish.
2) if you must pull out of debates that are started, or drop in inactivity in mafia games, notify your opponent and fellow players that you will be doing so and preferably some kind of reason as to why.

put it in bold if you want an idea of yours added to the code.

I also hope this thread can create discussion on the causes behind why we might debate in non-ideal behavior way, and things we think we can hope to do about. this would involve more admission to the worse behavior on our own parts than it would pointing out the behavior we don't like in others.

example from me; in a mafia game recently, before Danielle died in it, she called me out for talking out of my rear and cursed me out for what I had said about her and OreEle. looking back I am actually sorry I had said anything in that post about Danielle and OreEle cause she was right it contributed nothing to the actual discussion. it served little purpose other than reducing the tone from civil or to insult other players. that was not honorable behavior of mine.
looking back I believe tunnel vision played a role in my mistake in making a pointless insulting post. I failed to make a post the first day phase and wanted to make up for it by commenting on everything big that happened at all in the new day phase. It can be tempting sometimes to want to say something even if you have nothing even you should be able to look at and say is worth saying.

sounds like another code to propose from that...
3) refrain from debating with idol talk, if its not really worth saying for reasons other than brief emotional satisfaction, then don't say it.

for the record that rule is one John Wesley tried to follow as a Methodist principle too.

all who read this please post your beliefs on how to debate with honor and integrity, and all the things that contribute to why you ever don't debate or hold discussions in the forums in such a way.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:34:27 AM
This still won't spark debates. Maybe we should get together a list of people who pledge to do 1 debate a week.
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:36:05 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:34:27 AM, Koopin wrote:
This still won't spark debates. Maybe we should get together a list of people who pledge to do 1 debate a week.

Been trying, it burns you out.

Though I've been thinking of other ways for that.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:36:54 AM

I doubt that would work. There's no compulsion to stick to it, and besides, people are on and off about debating.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:38:55 AM
i think you mean "idle" talk.

Anyway, those that tend to be worst about leaving unfinished debates are the n00bs that start like 10 debates and then disappear sometimes deactivating their account first. So how do you suppose we deal with those?

In any case, I think we should make a general rule of
No personal insults
as all that does is degrade the site and scare away new members that would have potential to add to the site.
Now of course if its joking it should be allowed, and it should be fairly clear to differentiate between insulting and playing with other members.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:39:28 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:36:54 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I doubt that would work. There's no compulsion to stick to it, and besides, people are on and off about debating.

I have an idea, everyone posts their cell phone numbers, and if a person fails to debate we take the number and put it on every sex hotline spam site we can!
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:40:37 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:39:28 AM, Koopin wrote:
At 5/10/2011 11:36:54 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I have an idea, everyone posts their cell phone numbers, and if a person fails to debate we take the number and put it on every sex hotline spam site we can!

OMG, Askbob hacked Koopins account!
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:41:48 AM

I don't know about a straightforward pledge to argue every week for the sake of arguing. no matter how dedicated you are to this site your going to go through spells were you just need to get away from the darn computer. or just spend your time on other avenues. there are some positive reasons for dropping in inactivity.

But if theirs an atmosphere that makes this place no fun when you back from that spell of time where you were you did not post like you had an obligation too, you may start to feel whatever it was you thought you could get out of this site you didn't need so bad you cant start searching elsewhere for it.

It may not spark debates to it could put a dampen on all the rate of burn-outs.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:42:04 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:38:55 AM, lovelife wrote:

Anyway, those that tend to be worst about leaving unfinished debates are the n00bs that start like 10 debates and then disappear sometimes deactivating their account first. So how do you suppose we deal with those?

No personal insults
as all that does is degrade the site and scare away new members that would have potential to add to the site.
Now of course if its joking it should be allowed, and it should be fairly clear to differentiate between insulting and playing with other members.

No.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:43:17 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:38:51 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I feel like some kind of incentive structure other than a leaderboard would be useful. I'm just not certain as to what kind of motivators Juggle can put out there.

Maybe we should have a new leadership thing.
Such as
1) ranking only members who have been active that month (like 5 hours per week or something)
2) Debater of the month
etc etc
so that the same members wont always be at the top and new members wont see the 300+ debates and shy away knowing they could never compete, so people have incentive to keep working so they can get on top, or stay on top, etc etc.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:44:52 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:42:04 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

No personal insults

No.

Compelling arguments there.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:45:53 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:43:17 AM, lovelife wrote:
I feel like some kind of incentive structure other than a leaderboard would be useful. I'm just not certain as to what kind of motivators Juggle can put out there.

Such as
1) ranking only members who have been active that month (like 5 hours per week or something)
2) Debater of the month
etc etc
so that the same members wont always be at the top and new members wont see the 300+ debates and shy away knowing they could never compete, so people have incentive to keep working so they can get on top, or stay on top, etc etc.

Or two seperate leader boards.

"Top debaters" (overall record)
"Hot debaters" (record for last 90 days)
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:48:00 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:45:53 AM, OreEle wrote:

Such as
2) Debater of the month
etc etc

There are only a few girls here.
kfc
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:48:50 AM

Such as
2) Debater of the month
etc etc

That was my idea I think I used some weird wording.
The exact amount of days is arbitrary and means little, its just keeping something that people can realistically achieve, which would then give them incentive.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:49:02 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:48:00 AM, Koopin wrote:

Such as
2) Debater of the month
etc etc

There are only a few girls here.

Well, maybe you should do something about that. Freedo went and had an operation to help with that ratio.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:49:02 AM

Such as
2) Debater of the month
etc etc

What if we follow in the footsteps of online gaming and establish an "achievement" system of some kind? Like "medals" for different benchmarks or something. "X win ratio" (with a certain number of debates to qualify), "X debates completed", "X forum posts", "won a debate by at least X points", "won the DDO election", things like that. It would give people something to shoot for.

Additionally, maybe do something like the DDO Awards every, say, 3-4 months? Make the awards a bit smaller-scale , obviously, but perhaps a bit more competitive?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:50:34 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:44:52 AM, lovelife wrote:

No personal insults

No.

It's a pretty easy slide to heavier forms of censorship, no reason to abstain, vague in terms of being enforced, etc.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:53:22 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:50:34 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

No personal insults

No.

It's a pretty easy slide to heavier forms of censorship, no reason to abstain, vague in terms of being enforced, etc.

isn't that a slippery slope fallacy?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:53:28 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:49:02 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Such as
2) Debater of the month
etc etc

What if we follow in the footsteps of online gaming and establish an "achievement" system of some kind? Like "medals" for different benchmarks or something. "X win ratio" (with a certain number of debates to qualify), "X debates completed", "X forum posts", "won a debate by at least X points", "won the DDO election", things like that. It would give people something to shoot for.

Additionally, maybe do something like the DDO Awards every, say, 3-4 months? Make the awards a bit smaller-scale , obviously, but perhaps a bit more competitive?

That highlights members too much and not enough site.

Have juggle set up tournament page.

Keep that as prominent showcase with regular debate still visible but nit the only thing people see.

That might help the reputation on the intellectual side. But there has to be room for EVERYONE or it will end up like yuck yak
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:53:58 AM

thank you. yes I did mean to type that instead.

we could inform them about this code of honor before accepting there challenges. I've discovered I like being really mean to them after they start forfeiting cause I know they will never read my post on there profile page 'you suck!' cause there not coming back online.
No personal insults

I agree with this, though I think from my experience that joking though intended to be in good fun, when done while doing something as heated or competitive as debating can get a little carried away. I'm not sure its always taken as light-hearted joking instead of petty mocking all the time when another person reads it. I may have said it in a light hearted tone in my head then typed it, but the other person only reads it and who knows what tone they herd it in.

not saying joking shouldn't be allowed, it should. just saying it can be difficult to pull off through this medium.

A Scout is Obedient.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:55:57 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:53:28 AM, jharry wrote:

Such as
2) Debater of the month
etc etc

Keep that as prominent showcase with regular debate still visible but nit the only thing people see.

That might help the reputation on the intellectual side. But there has to be room for EVERYONE or it will end up like yuck yak

I dunno. Tournaments often end up becoming slow as molasses, if not defunct.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:58:48 AM
At 5/10/2011 11:53:22 AM, OreEle wrote:

No personal insults

No.

It would be if A) I was making an absolute claim that those other things would follow without B) establishing causality. I don't claim to do either. My argument was that putting up a ban on personal insults makes it simpler to justify bans on basically anything that could be included in the category of "scaring new members" or "degrading the site".
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:59:29 AM
Agreed, until tournies can run smooth, Juggle should not step in. Right now, the IDC is even on hold, because of the mess of tournies going on.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 12:00:50 PM
At 5/10/2011 11:55:57 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Such as
2) Debater of the month
etc etc

Why?

Do you think it would be the same if it was a part of the site? Actual DDO page? Even a member mod who wants to be over it, recruit.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 12:01:14 PM
At 5/10/2011 11:58:48 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/10/2011 11:53:22 AM, OreEle wrote:

No personal insults

No.

It would be if A) I was making an absolute claim that those other things would follow without B) establishing causality. I don't claim to do either. My argument was that putting up a ban on personal insults makes it simpler to justify bans on basically anything that could be included in the category of "scaring new members" or "degrading the site".

this code would be meant as an honor based system, as in we teach it hoping others will try extra hard to abide by it as if it was part of there personal beliefs to avoid making personal insults. not a strait up ban.

A Scout is Obedient.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 12:01:46 PM
Plus, having more highlight on members doesn't include highlighting and advertising the site. It gives members more of an incentive to stay and participate, given that there are certain goals/achievements/awards/whatever to shoot for. May not appeal to every single person, but I think it's a solid start which doesn't require a great deal of effort in putting together, I imagine.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 12:02:15 PM

No personal insults

http://www.debate.org...
You gotta work on that Lovelife.
kfc
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 12:04:13 PM
Ah yes, rules. The desire to enforce ones will on the populace.

If members are not naturally decent, they aren't going to be decent with the inclusion of rules.. They are probably just going to be dishonest. You can't force people to pull their heads out of their @ss, and learn how to communicate.

The anarchist nature of this forum is very appealing.

Unless of course, this is not meant to be some type of moderator enforced rule set, and more or less just tips on how to be a decent bloke.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 12:04:24 PM
At 5/10/2011 12:00:50 PM, jharry wrote:
At 5/10/2011 11:55:57 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Such as
2) Debater of the month
etc etc

Why?

Do you think it would be the same if it was a part of the site? Actual DDO page? Even a member mod who wants to be over it, recruit.

What do you mean "a part of the site"? Do you mean an actual tournament module?