Jump to topic:

Private Schools allowed in UIL

BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 5:19:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Recently the Texas Senate has passed a pill allowing private schools to compete in UIL. this is completely and utterly unfair because Private schools are able to alter their curriculum to spend as much time as they wish on certain subjects, they're able to pay expansive amounts of money on private tutors, and they have access to recourses that most public schools simply do not have.

This bill will be extremely detrimental to students, and teachers of public high school in the state of Texas.

I urge any of you in the Texas public school system; whether teacher, student, or parent to please write your state house Representative about this issue. Texas student's should not have to have the only competition exclusive them taken away.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 5:57:02 PM
At 5/10/2011 5:19:23 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
Recently the Texas Senate has passed a pill allowing private schools to compete in UIL. this is completely and utterly unfair because Private schools are able to alter their curriculum to spend as much time as they wish on certain subjects, they're able to pay expansive amounts of money on private tutors, and they have access to recourses that most public schools simply do not have.

This bill will be extremely detrimental to students, and teachers of public high school in the state of Texas.

I urge any of you in the Texas public school system; whether teacher, student, or parent to please write your state house Representative about this issue. Texas student's should not have to have the only competition exclusive them taken away.

Just privatize all schools, then.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 5:59:30 PM
I think it'll be interesting to see the effects on the amount of money people pay for education, and the results that come out of that education.

Competition is always a good thing.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 10:44:54 AM
The purpose of school is to teach. So if private schools actually do provide better debaters, then that benefits the debaters in public schools who get to debate them. Learning is accomplished by having better opponents, not worse ones.

When I was learning to play chess, I played the same guy at lunch every day. He was an older man who was hunched over and looked like Yodo. It was fifty games before I won one. It was a great experience.

While it would be good, I doubt that private schools will really put a lot of effort into debate. They may be a little better because parents who can afford private schools and use them tend to be more intelligent and more interested in education.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 1:22:12 PM
At 5/11/2011 10:44:54 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
The purpose of school is to teach. So if private schools actually do provide better debaters, then that benefits the debaters in public schools who get to debate them. Learning is accomplished by having better opponents, not worse ones.

When I was learning to play chess, I played the same guy at lunch every day. He was an older man who was hunched over and looked like Yodo. It was fifty games before I won one. It was a great experience.
This is a really good anecdotal example. But I have some questions about it.

It was a great experience for you, no doubt. But what about Yodo(a)? Didn't he feel bored? If so, didn't he then purposely "lower his standards"? What benefit was it to him, other than just enjoyment (which he would have gained only if you showed decent improvements)? Wouldn't he have been better off playing somebody at his level? Are these valid questions?

While it would be good, I doubt that private schools will really put a lot of effort into debate. They may be a little better because parents who can afford private schools and use them tend to be more intelligent and more interested in education.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 1:29:11 PM
At 5/11/2011 10:44:54 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

Also, how long did those games last? You must've had some long lunches :)
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 3:06:56 PM
@Indophile, Yoda had some disabilities, so he didn't like to do anything very physically active at lunchtime. We we in a big aerospace company, and no one else wanted to play chess, at least not too regularly. We'd save the game, so it could take a week or more to finish a game. It was a year before I won a game.

I played well enough to make my master think hard, so I'm sure he enjoyed our games. He could have easily opted out without any problem. He would never hold back, because that would be unfair to me. He was happy when I won a game. We played for years. I think I ultimately got to winning half the time, but maybe my memory is working to my benefit on that score.