Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

99'er duels

Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 1:58:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, I was just going over stats, and decided to look at what people's records are debating against 99'ers. Namely how the 99'ers do against themselves (I'm not quite done will all the numbers).

One thing that I've noticed in them (got 42 out of 53 done so far, so I can already see a pattern emerging), is that we don't debate much against each other anymore. Most of the debates between the 99'ers occured over a year ago.

Anyway, I was just thinking that if we, as a site are not satisfied with the quantity of quality debates, maybe we should actually do something about it, and have our top debaters debate against each other again.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 2:09:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/17/2011 1:58:30 PM, OreEle wrote:
So, I was just going over stats, and decided to look at what people's records are debating against 99'ers. Namely how the 99'ers do against themselves (I'm not quite done will all the numbers).

One thing that I've noticed in them (got 42 out of 53 done so far, so I can already see a pattern emerging), is that we don't debate much against each other anymore. Most of the debates between the 99'ers occured over a year ago.

Anyway, I was just thinking that if we, as a site are not satisfied with the quantity of quality debates, maybe we should actually do something about it, and have our top debaters debate against each other again.

*cough* tournaments *cough*
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 2:11:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/17/2011 2:09:35 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 5/17/2011 1:58:30 PM, OreEle wrote:
So, I was just going over stats, and decided to look at what people's records are debating against 99'ers. Namely how the 99'ers do against themselves (I'm not quite done will all the numbers).

One thing that I've noticed in them (got 42 out of 53 done so far, so I can already see a pattern emerging), is that we don't debate much against each other anymore. Most of the debates between the 99'ers occured over a year ago.

Anyway, I was just thinking that if we, as a site are not satisfied with the quantity of quality debates, maybe we should actually do something about it, and have our top debaters debate against each other again.

*cough* tournaments *cough*

Which keep dying. To the point where starting another tourny is unlikely as people will just assume that it is going to die too.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 3:08:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/17/2011 2:11:43 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 5/17/2011 2:09:35 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 5/17/2011 1:58:30 PM, OreEle wrote:
So, I was just going over stats, and decided to look at what people's records are debating against 99'ers. Namely how the 99'ers do against themselves (I'm not quite done will all the numbers).

One thing that I've noticed in them (got 42 out of 53 done so far, so I can already see a pattern emerging), is that we don't debate much against each other anymore. Most of the debates between the 99'ers occured over a year ago.

Anyway, I was just thinking that if we, as a site are not satisfied with the quantity of quality debates, maybe we should actually do something about it, and have our top debaters debate against each other again.

*cough* tournaments *cough*

Which keep dying. To the point where starting another tourny is unlikely as people will just assume that it is going to die too.

Every tournament I have seen has been a great success from my point of view. I don't really care who wins, so it doesn't matter if they die, and every tournament has created a large number of high quality debates.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 3:27:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just ran the numbers on the 99'ers.

Kind of interesting to see the differences in how members do against other 99'ers, compared to their total debates.

Anyway, based on our current grading system we have.

1) Danielle 28-14-2
2) Logical-Master 26-25-1
3) Roy 25-5-1
4) Beem0r 23-12-0
5) Kleptin 19-5-0

Out of the 53 99'ers, only 16 had 10 or more wins vs other 99'ers. And only 15 had 20 or more debates.

We have 4 which are undefeated vs other 99'ers

1) Puck 8-0-0
2) J.Kenyon 7-0-0
3) Kinesis 7-0-1
4) Mangani 6-0-0

I think an honorable mention goes out to KRF, as 48.8% of all his debates where with other 99'ers (of which he was 12-7-0), while the average of all 99'ers was only 18.1%
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 3:49:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I haven't done many debates against 99'ers. But whenever I finish my current debates I'd be happy to go up against some.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 12:02:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The highest ranked people that have below 50% against other 99'ers

1) Brian_Eggleston 19-46-1 (currently ranked #2)
2) Mongeese 14-49-1 (#8)
3) SAC8 5-9-0 (#11)
4) Koopin 3-7-0 (#12)
5) Tatarize 4-24-0 (#14)

The lowest ranked people (amoung 99'ers) that are above 50% against other 99'ers

1) Untitled_Entity 7-4-0 (Ranked #51)
2) PoeJoe 5-4-0 (#45)
3) Alto2osu 7-2-0 (#44)
4) KRFournier 12-7-0 (#42)
5) J.Kenyon 7-0-0 (#40)
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 12:13:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yeah, the good debaters on this site prefer to beat up n00bs than take a real challenge (myself not excluded) in my experience.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 12:17:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Also, percentile is a terrible evaluation of ability. There are loads of people below me who have consistently generated better debates for the site.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 12:24:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/18/2011 12:17:41 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Also, percentile is a terrible evaluation of ability. There are loads of people below me who have consistently generated better debates for the site.

Agreed, there are many better ways. However, this is mainly to point out that the "good ole days" (since that was something that has recently come up) were back when we were actually debating each other, rather than new members.

That is 1 reason that I gave the honorable mention to KRF, since almost half of all his debates were with fellow 99'ers.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 12:37:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/18/2011 12:13:59 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Yeah, the good debaters on this site prefer to beat up n00bs than take a real challenge (myself not excluded) in my experience.

Well, actually, in my defence I always open my debates up to all-comers (maybe with the occasional 18+ age restriction for debates of an adult nature).

Also I rarely accept debates with more than two rounds because I can never guarantee I'll have the time to respond to all the arguments.

And, of course, most of my debates are purely for fun - win or lose, it makes no odds to me!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 12:42:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/18/2011 12:37:36 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 5/18/2011 12:13:59 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Yeah, the good debaters on this site prefer to beat up n00bs than take a real challenge (myself not excluded) in my experience.

Well, actually, in my defence I always open my debates up to all-comers (maybe with the occasional 18+ age restriction for debates of an adult nature).

Also I rarely accept debates with more than two rounds because I can never guarantee I'll have the time to respond to all the arguments.

And, of course, most of my debates are purely for fun - win or lose, it makes no odds to me!

That is very true. Since you open debates, you have no real control as to who debates you (so you can't really ever be called for "newb sniping"), also, by starting a debate, you put yourself at a disadvantage (since people may only accept if they believe they have a shot). Even with those two things, you still do pretty good. You've debated more 99'ers than anyone else (66 debates), the next highest is Mongeese at 64, then Logical Master at 52, the Danielle at 44.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 6:52:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This thread has prompted me to calculate my "actual" record. Not debates against the rest of the 99th percentile, just debates I arbitrarily decide are "good".

29 - 6
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 11:52:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/18/2011 12:24:20 PM, OreEle wrote:

Agreed, there are many better ways. However, this is mainly to point out that the "good ole days" (since that was something that has recently come up) were back when we were actually debating each other, rather than new members.

A few things come to mind :

1) Did you know the strengths of the debaters then or was it still in a stage of exploration?

2) How developed were the records at that time? There would be expected to be an inertia as ranks develop. The main complaint I get about votes is if I vote against someone who has a very strong record, especially if I give them their first loss. These people will get more and more reluctant to debate as time passes.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 4:38:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/20/2011 11:06:33 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Look at how many debates are started by 99'ers now.

True. If I looked back at that, I think that over 1/2 are probably started by Brian.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"