Jump to topic:

Orange's Round Robin

BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 10:35:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This isn't an official tournament announcement; more-so I'm just testing the waters as to who would even be interested in this idea.

Essentially I'm wanting to have a round robin tournament. This is a tournament in which all of the competitors hit each other. Given that there would be a substantial amount of debates going on, the tournament would only be open to six people.

=Rules and Clarification=
there will be five resolutions supplied at the bottom of this post. You must debate one of the five resolutions at the bottom of the post in order for the round to count towards being a part of this tournament. You may change which resolution you are debating between each partner, but for both debates with any single partner; you must use the same resolution. i.e debaters a and b must debate the same topic going both Pro and Con. However when debaters a and c go against each other, they do not have to use the same topic as debaters a and b did. However with both of their rounds they must use the same topic.
The only absolute rule is that whoever decided to join the tournament must be sincerely committed to being in the tournament, all other rules regarding round structure, and rules for individual rounds will be hashed out between the competitors. I will also open the tournament up to having a first and second alternate in the event one person drops out.

Each debate would be four rounds long, and the debaters would have a time span of three days to post their arguments (although the quicker this is done the better) And each round will be restricted to 4000 characters, sources will be posted in the comments section NOT THE DEBATE. Sources may if absolutely desired be posted in the actual debate, however doing so will only hurt those who choose to
post their sources there.
It does not matter how long the voting period lasts, as the only votes that will count as to determine the winner (in regards to the tournament) will be the votes from the other competitors in the tournament. Point may be distributed however the voters wish, but not area should be left undecided.

In the event of tie in any of the rounds, the first alternate will serve as the tie breaker. Otherwise the first alternate's vote will not count towards the tournament.

And actually I'm wanting every-one to hit each other twice, going both Pro and Con. So at the end of the tournament each person would have done ten debates. and would be ranked first through sixth according to their win Ratio.

=Debate Topics=
1. Abortion is an acceptable practice in developed societies.
2. Homosexual marriage ought not be illegal.
3. Couples should not be allowed to adopt children overseas.
4. The drinking age should be lowered to 18.
5. non-human animals have rights.
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 10:41:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/25/2011 10:39:35 AM, CiRrK wrote:
mmm, can u reserve a spot for me for a day? I want to do it, but the list of resolutions I find unexciting >.>

Sure, Also the resolutions are more than subject to change; these are just off the top of my head

=Debaters=
1. Hello-Orange
2. Reserved
Alt1.
Alt2.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2014 4:25:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2011 10:41:51 AM, BangBang-Coconut wrote:
At 5/25/2011 10:39:35 AM, CiRrK wrote:
mmm, can u reserve a spot for me for a day? I want to do it, but the list of resolutions I find unexciting >.>

Sure, Also the resolutions are more than subject to change; these are just off the top of my head

=Debaters=
1. Hello-Orange
2. Reserved
3. Wylted
Alt1.
Alt2.

Let's get this thing started baby.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2014 7:51:56 AM
At 5/25/2011 10:35:28 AM, BangBang-Coconut wrote:
This isn't an official tournament announcement; more-so I'm just testing the waters as to who would even be interested in this idea.

Essentially I'm wanting to have a round robin tournament. This is a tournament in which all of the competitors hit each other. Given that there would be a substantial amount of debates going on, the tournament would only be open to six people.

there will be five resolutions supplied at the bottom of this post. You must debate one of the five resolutions at the bottom of the post in order for the round to count towards being a part of this tournament. You may change which resolution you are debating between each partner, but for both debates with any single partner; you must use the same resolution. i.e debaters a and b must debate the same topic going both Pro and Con. However when debaters a and c go against each other, they do not have to use the same topic as debaters a and b did. However with both of their rounds they must use the same topic.
The only absolute rule is that whoever decided to join the tournament must be sincerely committed to being in the tournament, all other rules regarding round structure, and rules for individual rounds will be hashed out between the competitors. I will also open the tournament up to having a first and second alternate in the event one person drops out.

Each debate would be four rounds long, and the debaters would have a time span of three days to post their arguments (although the quicker this is done the better) And each round will be restricted to 4000 characters, sources will be posted in the comments section NOT THE DEBATE. Sources may if absolutely desired be posted in the actual debate, however doing so will only hurt those who choose to
It does not matter how long the voting period lasts, as the only votes that will count as to determine the winner (in regards to the tournament) will be the votes from the other competitors in the tournament. Point may be distributed however the voters wish, but not area should be left undecided.

In the event of tie in any of the rounds, the first alternate will serve as the tie breaker. Otherwise the first alternate's vote will not count towards the tournament.

And actually I'm wanting every-one to hit each other twice, going both Pro and Con. So at the end of the tournament each person would have done ten debates. and would be ranked first through sixth according to their win Ratio.

=Debate Topics=

Number 2 needs to be edited if is referring to the United States, because homosexual marriage isn't illegal. It is perfectly legal, but isn't officially recognized by many states.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2014 10:29:02 AM
At 5/1/2014 7:51:56 AM, kbub wrote:

=Debate Topics=

Number 2 needs to be edited if is referring to the United States, because homosexual marriage isn't illegal. It is perfectly legal, but isn't officially recognized by many states.

He's had 5 years to edit it and has refused to. He's just stubbornly keeping it the same. Oh well. I'll debate it as it is.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2014 10:57:51 AM
At 5/1/2014 10:29:02 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 5/1/2014 7:51:56 AM, kbub wrote:

=Debate Topics=

He's had 5 years to edit it and has refused to. He's just stubbornly keeping it the same. Oh well. I'll debate it as it is.

I suppose the only way to be topical is talk about a nation besides the US. I suppose that can be a good debate.