Jump to topic:

Accuracy in voting

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 11:04:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, a little project that was just brought to my attention that I'm going to have some fun doing, is pulling up all the recent votes on debates (so far, have done the last 10 debates) to see how people vote, both in quantity and quality. Since quality is subjective, and I'm no authoritive figure to say to any exact degree the quality of every vote, I've decided to do this based on the average votes on that debate.

So if 10 vote on a debate and the final comes out to 43 - 7, but someone voted 1 - 4, they will score lower, while someone that voted 6 - 1 would likely get the highest score.

So far, I've done this for 10 of the last 11 debates.

Though even if we dismiss the "qualitive" aspect, we can still see the quantative.

Any thoughts on the matter?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 11:48:37 AM
Not sure if this is "shocking" or "interesting"

but of the last 15 debates (that I did, one of Merda's was just added while I was in the middle), there have been 58 total votes (almost 4 votes per debate).

Of those 58 votes, their average accuracy is 85%

Of those 58 votes, 15 are from 99'ers (there were only 4 99'ers that have voted in the last 15 debates), and they also have an average accuracy of 85%.

Cliff.stamp is out most active voter, voting in 13 of the 15 debates.
Roy and I are tied for 2nd most number of votes, at 6 each.

There have been a total of 23 different voters in those 15 debates.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 11:53:57 AM
Also interesting, but not unexpected, is that the instigator's record on those 15 debates is 4-11. I think people are shy to take a debate unless they are confident that they will win.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 1:20:51 PM
Done 28 debates now. The lack of votes from older members is shameful. And by "older" I mean how long they've been members on DDO, not alive on Earth.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 1:31:28 PM
At 6/7/2011 1:20:51 PM, OreEle wrote:
Done 28 debates now. The lack of votes from older members is shameful. And by "older" I mean how long they've been members on DDO, not alive on Earth.

Shame!
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 1:37:56 PM
At 6/7/2011 1:31:28 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 6/7/2011 1:20:51 PM, OreEle wrote:

Shame!

I've gone through 30+ debates so far, it's not looking good, though I've only gona back to 6/1 now.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 1:46:39 PM
regarding debates finished sinced 6/1/11 that were not forfeited debates. There were 39 debates, 2 were spam debates (where the users admitted that the debates were not meant as actual debates), which were excluded.

In the 37 debates counted, we had 126 votes, or 3.4 votes per debate (not as high as we'd like). With a total accuracy of 82.55%.

Of the 126 votes, 25 were from 99'ers. A total of 6 99'ers to be precise, with an average accuracy of 84.47%.

Of these 99'er, 3 of them only did 1 vote (Freedo, Grape, and Puck), while 1 had 2 votes (Koopin), 1 had 7 votes (Roy), and 1 had 13 votes (OreEle).

I find the fact that we've had 34 99'ers online recently, but only a fraction have actually voted recently is depressing, and one of the root causes for DDO shrinking.

Cliff.Stamp, of course, had the most votes, 32 of the 37.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 2:59:45 PM
I'm testing with another Accuracy equation on this to see if that yields better results.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 3:12:20 PM
At 6/7/2011 1:46:39 PM, OreEle wrote:
I find the fact that we've had 34 99'ers online recently, but only a fraction have actually voted recently is depressing, and one of the root causes for DDO shrinking.

I highly doubt that.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 3:28:38 PM
At 6/7/2011 3:12:20 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 6/7/2011 1:46:39 PM, OreEle wrote:

I highly doubt that.

The core of what DDO is, is a debate site. Everything stems off of that. Heck, without the debates, we're just another forum amoung countless. Lack of voting causing a stunt in new membership which chokes off our life support. Without new, fresh members, the current members become stagnent and bored with a lack of new ideas to debate (you can only debate the same topic with the same people for so long). If the voting is messed up (votebombing, lack of voting, lack of participation), new members will not stay.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 3:35:14 PM
Is DDO shrinking? There have been a spree of good debates recently, the number of members online averages around 30 most evenings, and some recent debates were viewed thousands of times. I dunno how that compares to a year or so ago, though.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 3:39:15 PM
At 6/7/2011 3:35:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Is DDO shrinking? There have been a spree of good debates recently, the number of members online averages around 30 most evenings, and some recent debates were viewed thousands of times. I dunno how that compares to a year or so ago, though.

The number of "recently active" (meaning members actually logged on) has dropped about 20% compared to two weeks ago.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 3:40:46 PM
At 6/7/2011 3:39:15 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/7/2011 3:35:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:

The number of "recently active" (meaning members actually logged on) has dropped about 20% compared to two weeks ago.

Unfortunatly, I don't have access to see how many non-registered visiters we get that actually go through and read the debates. Though I do manually track post counts, debates started, members logged on, and now I'm starting to track the votes, since the Juggle staff has said that they are going to get it done, but still haven't.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 3:59:13 PM
At 6/7/2011 3:28:38 PM, OreEle wrote:
The core of what DDO is, is a debate site. Everything stems off of that. Heck, without the debates, we're just another forum amoung countless. Lack of voting causing a stunt in new membership which chokes off our life support.

Can you prove that new members stop coming to DDO specifically because not enough people vote on their debates? Usually advertising in signatures or more recently certain threads designated to ask for votes has/can fix this.

Without new, fresh members, the current members become stagnent and bored with a lack of new ideas to debate (you can only debate the same topic with the same people for so long). If the voting is messed up (votebombing, lack of voting, lack of participation), new members will not stay.

So we debate the same topics with different people. Woo. Anyway messed up or lack of voting sucks, but I highly doubt that's what makes people leave or not stay. That's all I'm saying. I can rattle off like 5 other things off the top of my head that are annoying about DDO more than a lack of voting on debates, especially since that's something that can be rectified just by asking. While it's true people come here TO debate, it's usually the forums that make them stay. I agree that DDO can fall into the category of just another forum quite easily; that's why you should probably concern yourself more with content and the "community." I know if I joined a site and someone started threatening me or my personal life (contacting my job, family, etc.) for instance, that would be reason #1 to gtfo. Not a lack of votes on my meaningless debate.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 4:12:49 PM
At 6/7/2011 3:59:13 PM, Danielle wrote:
The core of what DDO is, is a debate site. Everything stems off of that. Heck, without the debates, we're just another forum amoung countless. Lack of voting causing a stunt in new membership which chokes off our life support.

Can you prove that new members stop coming to DDO specifically because not enough people vote on their debates? Usually advertising in signatures or more recently certain threads designated to ask for votes has/can fix this.

Without new, fresh members, the current members become stagnent and bored with a lack of new ideas to debate (you can only debate the same topic with the same people for so long). If the voting is messed up (votebombing, lack of voting, lack of participation), new members will not stay.

So we debate the same topics with different people. Woo. Anyway messed up or lack of voting sucks, but I highly doubt that's what makes people leave or not stay. That's all I'm saying. I can rattle off like 5 other things off the top of my head that are annoying about DDO more than a lack of voting on debates, especially since that's something that can be rectified just by asking. While it's true people come here TO debate, it's usually the forums that make them stay. I agree that DDO can fall into the category of just another forum quite easily; that's why you should probably concern yourself more with content and the "community." I know if I joined a site and someone started threatening me or my personal life (contacting my job, family, etc.) for instance, that would be reason #1 to gtfo. Not a lack of votes on my meaningless debate.

I am actually going to be looking into this more thuroghly in the coming weeks, since I've been finding some members that actually do debates without doing the forums.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 4:19:44 PM
At 6/7/2011 4:12:49 PM, OreEle wrote:

I am actually going to be looking into this more thuroghly in the coming weeks, since I've been finding some members that actually do debates without doing the forums.

You really got nothin' goin' on, huh?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 4:26:20 PM
At 6/7/2011 4:19:44 PM, innomen wrote:

nope, though I waiting for someone to compain that me gathering this data for statistical uses is against the TOS.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 4:27:24 PM
Just a note of appreciation for the work and I had assumed in error there was a non-brute force way to collect these statistics, respect.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 4:28:06 PM
At 6/7/2011 4:26:20 PM, OreEle wrote:

nope, though I waiting for someone to compain that me gathering this data for statistical uses is against the TOS.

My biggest account decided to pay every single late invoice they had yesterday, and my next three will be all resolved when the bloody salesman gets to his office on Friday to enter in the promotion budget, so I can't do anything with them until then, and he already confirmed in e-mail that he will do it. So 95% of my work week was done before yesterday ended.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 4:44:48 PM
At 6/7/2011 4:28:06 PM, OreEle wrote:

My biggest account decided to pay every single late invoice they had yesterday, and my next three will be all resolved when the bloody salesman gets to his office on Friday to enter in the promotion budget, so I can't do anything with them until then, and he already confirmed in e-mail that he will do it. So 95% of my work week was done before yesterday ended.

Hey, leave the poor sales guys alone, where would you be without them?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 4:50:31 PM
At 6/7/2011 4:44:48 PM, innomen wrote:

I did, I harassed him enough to get him to write, in an email, that he would get it done, so now, I won't bother him until monday.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 4:53:28 PM
At 6/7/2011 4:50:31 PM, OreEle wrote:

I did, I harassed him enough to get him to write, in an email, that he would get it done, so now, I won't bother him until monday.

We call the people in credit and accounting, the sales prevention team.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 5:02:50 PM
At 6/7/2011 4:53:28 PM, innomen wrote:
At 6/7/2011 4:50:31 PM, OreEle wrote:

We call the people in credit and accounting, the sales prevention team.

Hey, I love the sales team... when they sell stuff without saying "feel free to take a 40% discount and I'm not going to tell anyone in accounting that they're doing that."

I have a customer that, so far has taken 59% discount for the total of this year, and the sales guy never told anyone that he approved all of it, then complained to us when we had the nerve to call the customer and ask them about it. But the other sales guys are cool.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 5:12:01 PM
I would pose that the core of the site is a debate site. The core of the forums is mafia games.

The reason most people think the site is slowing down is because the mafia games have been slowing down.

Like others said the numbers in terms of votes and members online are more than adequate. I'll get on TV to start the next series of beginner games. These are what spruce up the forums the best. I always just send a message to any new member whose online and advertise the game, after they have played the beginner series they're usually active all over the forums. Examples are headphonegut, Andromeda, social, etc.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 7:03:30 PM
The fact that there are only 9 members that actually vote in 10% or more debates makes me think that we don't have adequent voting quantity, and since there have been numerous threads asking for more votes and more feedback. And that the average debate (that has finished in the last week) only has 3.65 votes on it, seems to say otherwise.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 7:50:35 PM
At 6/7/2011 11:48:37 AM, OreEle wrote:
Not sure if this is "shocking" or "interesting"

but of the last 15 debates (that I did, one of Merda's was just added while I was in the middle), there have been 58 total votes (almost 4 votes per debate).

Of those 58 votes, their average accuracy is 85%

Of those 58 votes, 15 are from 99'ers (there were only 4 99'ers that have voted in the last 15 debates), and they also have an average accuracy of 85%.

Cliff.stamp is out most active voter, voting in 13 of the 15 debates.
Roy and I are tied for 2nd most number of votes, at 6 each.

There have been a total of 23 different voters in those 15 debates.

Average accuracy is 88.4%

SUM(Accuracy I * Votes)/total votes
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 8:02:31 PM
At 6/7/2011 7:03:30 PM, OreEle wrote:
The fact that there are only 9 members that actually vote in 10% or more debates makes me think that we don't have adequent voting quantity

This is trivially true. If you look at past debates you can see voting scores that are literally in the hundreds.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 8:05:47 PM
At 6/7/2011 8:02:31 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 6/7/2011 7:03:30 PM, OreEle wrote:
The fact that there are only 9 members that actually vote in 10% or more debates makes me think that we don't have adequent voting quantity

This is trivially true. If you look at past debates you can see voting scores that are literally in the hundreds.

in fairness you can subtract two 7's from that debate as debaters routinely gave themselves all 7's
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 8:18:11 PM
At 6/7/2011 5:08:10 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

You are so fücking stupid it hurts! http://cache.ohinternet.com...

You realize cost isn't just in dollars, right? In order to produce something, it takes labor and capital that could otherwise be used for something else. It's called opportunity cost. lrn2economics, retard.

Yeah. People don't like DDO because others "don't vote on their debates." Not because, oh I dunno, the people here are fvcking a$sholes? Do you think he talks to his peers in philosophy class like that? No. Everyone's a tough guy on the internet. Don't get me wrong - I love a good a$shole. I know innomen does too (ha... ha) and if anything I'd just be an a$shole back rather than get too bothered by it. But that's just me. I really don't think the site is slowing down because of a lack of voting and especially not mafia games which only about 20 of thousands of members play. I think people are just realizing that most regulars take things WAY too fvcking seriously around here. And that's not fun. We don't get paid to be on DDO. If you want people to hang around on DDO, it needs to be an enjoyable place for people of ALL ideologies to spend time even if we disagree. And it's just not.

@ OreEle - As far as the voting problem, isn't it obvious? People like to talk more than they like to listen. Debates are long and to a lot of people reading is boring... especially if one or both of the debaters suck. It's not surprising that people don't read/vote. If someone signs onto DDO, they wanna play mafia, browse the forums or write their own debates. I understand that voting is an integral part of the site though, but haven't there been like 100 other threads about increasing voting ideas? Have any of them been implemented? Has anything worked? Also I find the word "accuracy" in this title pretty misleading. If you vote for Pro and I vote for Co, n it doesn't mean my vote is inaccurate just because 3 others may have voted for Pro as well.
President of DDO