Jump to topic:

"Joke" Debates

Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 10:56:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What's your stance on "joke" debates? Like UTW for Ms Paint battle? They drive traffic but also work against an intellectual community.

Thoughts?
Kfc.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 10:59:52 PM
At 6/9/2011 10:56:37 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
What's your stance on "joke" debates? Like UTW for Ms Paint battle? They drive traffic but also work against an intellectual community.

Thoughts?

I think, when done well, they add great value to the site. I don't see how they work against the community at all. Almost all our best and brightest members participate in less than serious debates.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 11:00:20 PM
They can be done well. They only work against the intellectual part of the community if there is no debate in the debate.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 11:00:26 PM
At 6/9/2011 10:59:52 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Thoughts?

I think, when done well, they add great value to the site. I don't see how they work against the community at all. Almost all our best and brightest members participate in less than serious debates.

True. But our ultra thinkers like bluesteel rarely seem to...
Kfc.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 11:01:13 PM
At 6/9/2011 10:59:57 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
changing my sig post

You don't have to post to do that. If you edit your sig and then click "Review," it changes.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 11:02:17 PM
At 6/9/2011 11:01:13 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 6/9/2011 10:59:57 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
changing my sig post

You don't have to post to do that. If you edit your sig and then click "Review," it changes.

K
Kfc.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 11:06:31 PM
there are only a few joke debates that have been done extremely well. And when done extremely well it's hard to tell that they are joke debates.

Examples of a great joke debate
http://www.debate.org...
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 11:10:27 PM
First of all, he's doing this math based on surface area of the rocket and common cargo hold. We must remember that this ship will have no return mission, so we can obviously forgo some of the inside machinery for that for more cargo space. Moreover, it is entirely possible that people can be stacked on top of one another on the rocket, perhaps even four layers deep, thus dramatically increasing efficiency and decreasing costs. And remember, we don't have to make it safe: we don't expect them to survive. So, we could make this mound of humans even deeper by disregarding safety precautions. Furthermore, it is possible to erect a huge pole on the end of the rocket on which to put even more people on. All of this would dramatically cut costs! Of course, I am unable to actually predict on these costs, as we no tests of this nature have occurred. Also, this money spent on the rocket simply goes right back into the economy. Think about the huge economic boom to the steel industry! I will get to the costs that it saves the world when I rebuild my own case.

Every time i read this i nearly am in tears from laughter. That's how a joke debate should be done.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 11:12:54 PM
At 6/9/2011 11:10:27 PM, askbob wrote:
First of all, he's doing this math based on surface area of the rocket and common cargo hold. We must remember that this ship will have no return mission, so we can obviously forgo some of the inside machinery for that for more cargo space. Moreover, it is entirely possible that people can be stacked on top of one another on the rocket, perhaps even four layers deep, thus dramatically increasing efficiency and decreasing costs. And remember, we don't have to make it safe: we don't expect them to survive. So, we could make this mound of humans even deeper by disregarding safety precautions. Furthermore, it is possible to erect a huge pole on the end of the rocket on which to put even more people on. All of this would dramatically cut costs! Of course, I am unable to actually predict on these costs, as we no tests of this nature have occurred. Also, this money spent on the rocket simply goes right back into the economy. Think about the huge economic boom to the steel industry! I will get to the costs that it saves the world when I rebuild my own case.

Every time i read this i nearly am in tears from laughter. That's how a joke debate should be done.

And

Kfc.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 11:26:26 PM

Thoughts?

That your two examples are not "against an intellectual community". UTW are debates, with a restricted format, no different than LD in that sense and still require debate skill. Art/Lyric/Poem/Story debates are about aesthetics and skill between the two involved - nothing anti intellectual about those either.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 12:11:44 AM
Ultimate Team War is a rather serious debate, although its events are highy hypothetical. They're challenging to win, and require keen intuition, foresight, and research.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:31:38 AM
At 6/9/2011 11:00:26 PM, Brainmaster wrote:

Bluesteel isn't a person, it is a bot.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:38:34 AM

They drive traffic but also work against an intellectual community.

There is nothing preventing someone from being intelligent and having a sense of humor, Albert Einstein and Richard Feynman being two very well known recent examples.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 12:57:56 PM
At 6/10/2011 7:31:38 AM, Cliff.Stamp
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 2:13:43 PM
At 6/10/2011 2:02:29 PM, dobby wrote:
4chan is one of the biggest problems in this world.

same with sex drugs and rock and roll its destroying the moral compass
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 2:19:43 PM
At 6/10/2011 7:31:38 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 6/9/2011 11:00:26 PM, Brainmaster wrote:

Nice xD
dobby
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 2:35:26 PM
At 6/10/2011 2:13:43 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/10/2011 2:02:29 PM, dobby wrote:
4chan is one of the biggest problems in this world.

same with sex drugs and rock and roll its destroying the moral compass

they are but now its not rock and roll its rap.