Jump to topic:

Praises for DDO

BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 3:40:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like we all focus on the faults of this website more then we do the good parts.

So this thread is to just say anything you particularly like about the site!

I love that when typing up an argument, if you don't have the time to finish what you're doing; the argument is saved in the ares you're typing it and you can just come back to it later.
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 3:45:28 PM
At 6/12/2011 3:40:50 PM, BangBang-Coconut wrote:
I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like we all focus on the faults of this website more then we do the good parts.

I love that when typing up an argument, if you don't have the time to finish what you're doing; the argument is saved in the ares you're typing it and you can just come back to it later.

except when i type fast and it deletes a paragraph
Kfc.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 3:50:16 PM

Per the theme of this thread, I won't complain about the incredibly annoying times that feature fails and people lose half their round. :P
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 3:52:50 PM
At 6/12/2011 3:45:28 PM, Brainmaster wrote:

except when i type fast and it deletes a paragraph

This defeats the purpose of the thread :P
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 3:53:25 PM
At 6/12/2011 3:50:16 PM, Kinesis wrote:

Per the theme of this thread, I won't complain about the incredibly annoying times that feature fails and people lose half their round. :P

Because that wasn't mentioning it.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 3:58:42 PM
I like the people on DDO. The medium is somewhat flawed, but I've met enough awesome people here to more than make up for it.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 4:01:40 PM
I've been a member since the early days of the site three years ago and I've seen it grow and improve - now it's a proper little community, although I would welcome more older people and more Europeans.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 4:06:15 PM
At 6/12/2011 4:04:09 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 6/12/2011 4:01:40 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I've been a member since the early days of the site three years ago and I've seen it grow and improve - now it's a proper little community, although I would welcome more older people and more Europeans.

And more luscious babes, I assume.

YOU CHILD MOLESTING PERVERT!
Kfc.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 11:02:08 AM
At 6/12/2011 3:50:16 PM, Kinesis wrote:

yeah, it makes that feature Suck..

lulls you into a false sense of security.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 11:10:59 AM

Same. I've been here for over 3 years and wonder why the site hasn't appealed to an older crowd (though I have my suspicions). I see a lot of older people argue and debate all the time in the comments section of various news articles and websites, so clearly there is an entire untapped demographic of intelligent or at least opinionated people on the interwebz who I guess haven't managed to find their way here. However DDO is pretty high ranking in the Google search list from what I've seen, so I guess we'll see. Aside from that, what I love about DDO is that it's like philosophical peer review. If I say something dumb, I know it'll be called out, and that's always a good thing.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 11:19:25 AM
At 6/13/2011 10:59:43 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I like the site because the people here a very smart. It's fascinating how good minds can rationalize anything.

Resolved: Good minds can rationalize anything. I'm Con.

( just kidding )
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 11:21:52 AM
At 6/13/2011 11:10:59 AM, Danielle wrote:

Same. I've been here for over 3 years and wonder why the site hasn't appealed to an older crowd (though I have my suspicions). I see a lot of older people argue and debate all the time in the comments section of various news articles and websites, so clearly there is an entire untapped demographic of intelligent or at least opinionated people on the interwebz who I guess haven't managed to find their way here. However DDO is pretty high ranking in the Google search list from what I've seen, so I guess we'll see. Aside from that, what I love about DDO is that it's like philosophical peer review. If I say something dumb, I know it'll be called out, and that's always a good thing.

No one on the internet actually searches for intellectual topics
Kfc.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 11:42:08 AM
I love how I've become exposed to so many new, different viewpoints on this site. Like, irl, who really gets to argue with moral nihilists?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 11:46:44 AM
I've been here for 3 and a half years... I think the "good" of the site is implied.

But, since you asked, it's the one place I can really be myself (atheist, libertarian, republican-hater, etc.) and people actually know what I'm talking about. My mother, for instance, is a republican who doesn't know what she stands for (thus impossible to discuss with her). She's a Catholic who would probably go into a depression if she knew I didn't believe. And when I told her I'm libertarian, she thought it was an something that only crazy people were (I don't even think she knew it was an ideology).

Don't get me wrong, my mom's great, but my intellectual journey has gone on to another place.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 12:02:24 PM
I enjoy all the things you learn here. Since joining I have learned a ton about all kinds of issues, from abortion to animal rights to immigration, etc.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 5:10:17 PM
At 6/13/2011 11:42:08 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
I love how I've become exposed to so many new, different viewpoints on this site. Like, irl, who really gets to argue with moral nihilists?

Very true. We're an endangered species...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 10:40:57 PM
At 6/13/2011 11:19:25 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 6/13/2011 10:59:43 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I like the site because the people here a very smart. It's fascinating how good minds can rationalize anything.

Resolved: Good minds can rationalize anything. I'm Con.

( just kidding )

Lawl
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 11:14:11 PM
DDO's standard of quality for discussion is very high... in a certain sense. For example, if I am getting frustrated IRL about separation of church and state, I know that it's not even worth bringing up on DDO because hardly anyone is going to disagree with me anyway - in that sense the bar is high, as people are not petty enough to think that metaphysics should have a bearing on government.

The main detriment to the site is age; these teenage bookworms are impressive, but they have many lessons to learn. Booksmarts are only half the equation and I think many of the smartie-pantses on here never get to the realization that they themselves, in ten years, would tell their younger selves to their faces that they don't know sh*t yet because of everything they are about to learn. Many of them take very staunch positions, which is nothing short of laughable based simply on age - Socrates didn't even think it was worth having people study philosophy until their late twenties/early thirties, since it draws on so many other disciplines to understand. Our discussions get lost in a haze of theory at times and it is quite clearly due to an imbalance of booksmarts and streetsmarts.

Not to be discouraging at all... the younger crowd is getting older every day and it will be interesting to see if DDO stands the test of time and sees the day where there are a bunch of intelligent AND wise people who have matured in an environment of intellectual debate. DDO could turn into a powerful thinktank of reason... what would it be used for though? Could it be that our members will expand and specialize, turning each forum category into a discussion of professional caliber? One thing I would like to see is more recruitment from members from their respective schools/universities. If we could convince teachers and students that DDO is a great place to learn, practice, and even grade (debates are functional and professional enough to be used as tools for teachers) then I think we could make a major upgrade in quality.
kfc